Did accepting your plurality help? [Research]

Guest fordaplot

Guest fordaplot

I'm in the process of conducting a case study on healthy multiplicity. The subject of interest experienced profound improvements towards their mental health and functioning after accepting, rather than repressing, their plurality. I wanted to ask if there was anyone in the community that has a similar experience. What was the impact of accepting your plurality? 

This question could apply to a plethora of situations, just one example being a tulpamancy system whose host initially rejected their tulpas.

I strongly encourage you to email me your responses. This will allow me to ask for details and information that wouldn't be appropriate for .info. Any information you share with me via email will be confidential until I ask for and receive explicit permission to use a statement for my study. I published a study last year and, unlike other papers on tulpas, appropriately handled every participant's personal information.  

My email is isler@utexas.edu. Feel free to post your response here and email additional details to me. Thanks in advance. 

PS: Do you have autism, excoriation disorder, dyslexia, and a desire to contribute to the scientific understanding of plurality? If so, please consider filling out this questionnaire I posted a couple weeks ago:

"Accepting" your "plurality?"

I would question whether or not this has any merit regarding modern, mainstream tulpa practices, omitting certain cases of mental illness. Perhaps I am simply misunderstanding?

Here's a silly example that illustrates the confusion on the matter:

Host: I will now create a tulpa, after having studied the methodology and implications thereof!

*Host creates tulpa*

Host: An internal conflict rages! I am now a plural system! How could this have happened?

*Host reconsiders situation*

Host: After rethinking my position, I realize how the actions that I conducted have had the intended result! My mental health has improved!

Guest fordaplot

Be right back dying xD

As far as definitions go, "Tulpamancy is a branch of the wider phenomenon of plurality. Plurality is an umbrella term encompassing all phenomena where multiple consciousnesses coinhabit a brain. Picture it this way. Every non-plural has a voice in their head already–the original person, with their own memories, personality traits, and sensibilities. Plural systems have multiple such entities sharing a head, all with their own unique identities and personalities. There are numerous examples of plurality throughout history, ranging from dissociative identity disorder (DID) to fiction writers whose characters “come alive”–some specific examples can be found on our Resources page."

-- https://tulpa.io/what-is-a-tulpa

My ideal example of plural self-acceptance would be one more similar to the subject of the case study, who has been plural as long as they can remember, but spent a decade after childhood ignoring the fact and trying to merge together due to the stigmas attached to hearing voices and DID. After discovering the tulpa community and the fact that you can be plural and healthy, they refocused their efforts as a plural system by using their relative strengths to enhance functioning. Also, ceasing to repress things and stop self hate and doubt tends to help mental health and life in general :P let me know if you want any more clarification

• 6 months later...

I'm a fairly open-minded person in general, and I've had experiences with tulpamancy since I was 10 years old (although I didn't know about the exact term at the time). I've always willingly accepted that the tulpas living in my head are just as conscious as I am, although it was about a month ago that I really started to act on that belief. I started using language that made it more clear that they are not merely, "people in my head", but that they are people. I encouraged them to do the same, and the results have actually been pleasing. It's been noticeably easier for the nuance in their personalities to shine. So yeah, I'd say that "accepting my plurality" helped.

System Members: NaVi (Host), Clarissa, Lily, Aoi & Haru, As of Yet Unnamed aka "U"

Familiars: Northern Goshawk, Raven, Genet, Clouded Leopard, Siberian Husky Pup, Chimpanzee