Problem with personality

Hello.

I'm trying to start tulpamancy but I struggle with the personality phase. I read a lot of guides but they didn't really helped me.

I tryed some sessions with JD's personality forcing guide using the parrot forcing but I'm not really at ease with it. I need to think and visualize my tulpa's reactions / behaviour, right ? But the session doesn't last long because I can't think about how my tulpa acts for many occasions. At best I can only find 2 or 3 scenes...

So I switched to the first method, the list based trait forcing but I'am confused too. At best I take 2 minutes per trait. I think it's too short but I don't know what to say to make a consistant forcing session. So each session is the copy of the previous one because I don't have new ideas. Also should I do that eyes closed or not ? So I should memorise each traits ?

I'm not satisfied at all at the end of my forcing sessions and I think it was a waste of time. How can I make consistent personality forcing sessions ?

I tryed some sessions with JD's personality forcing guide using the parrot forcing but I'm not really at ease with it. I need to think and visualize my tulpa's reactions / behaviour, right ? But the session doesn't last long because I can't think about how my tulpa acts for many occasions. At best I can only find 2 or 3 scenes...

Parroting/puppeting involves visualizing what you'd want them to say or do in particular situations. Maybe this method just isn't for you, but coming up with "scenes" isn't particularly hard. If you're trying to show that the potential tulpa is optimistic, come up with something where your tulpa is in a dire situation, but they're still confident that things will turn out fine. It's probably not the best example, but maybe that'll push you in the right direction(?).

So I switched to the first method, the list based trait forcing but I'am confused too. At best I take 2 minutes per trait. I think it's too short but I don't know what to say to make a consistant forcing session. So each session is the copy of the previous one because I don't have new ideas. Also should I do that eyes closed or not ? So I should memorise each traits ?

In that part of the guide, JD listed a few things that you could talk about when covering each trait:

how the trait helps them rationalize, how the trait works within their logic system, how the trait plays a role in morality, their perception, their likes, dislikes, social endeavors, faith, personality, quirks, emotions, how the trait makes them interpret their own emotions, how the trait plays a role in their hobbies, and many other things not listed here

FAQ goes into this a bit more in this trait template page, and this should carry you through the rest of personality forcing if you're having a hard time covering each trait. You don't need to spend a lot of time on each trait if you feel like you have a good understanding of how that trait fits into the tulpa's personality as a whole, so if you find that you're going through each one in just a few minutes, that's perfectly fine. It doesn't matter if you're doing this with your eyes closed, but if you feel like that's going to help you focus or something, do it. The goal is to have a general understanding of the tulpa's personality - you don't have to memorize every detail, though.

Alternatively, there's the option of skipping personality forcing altogether.

Thanks for the fast response :)

Parroting/puppeting involves visualizing what you'd want them to say or do in particular situations. Maybe this method just isn't for you, but coming up with "scenes" isn't particularly hard. If you're trying to show that the potential tulpa is optimistic, come up with something where your tulpa is in a dire situation, but they're still confident that things will turn out fine. It's probably not the best example, but maybe that'll push you in the right direction(?).

Yup I understood that, but I still can't find many scenes. I think I don't have a good imagination.

FAQ goes into this a bit more in this trait template page, and this should carry you through the rest of personality forcing if you're having a hard time covering each trait. You don't need to spend a lot of time on each trait if you feel like you have a good understanding of how that trait fits into the tulpa's personality as a whole, so if you find that you're going through each one in just a few minutes, that's perfectly fine. It doesn't matter if you're doing this with your eyes closed, but if you feel like that's going to help you focus or something, do it. The goal is to have a general understanding of the tulpa's personality - you don't have to memorize every detail, though.

Ho, thanks for the template, it'll be really helpfull. But If I force while reading or filling the template (eyes opened so), it'll be considered as passive forcing, right ? Do you think it'll be enough to produice good results ?

Also, do I stop the personality phase once I explained all the traits, or what ?

Alternatively, there's the option of skipping personality forcing altogether.

I have the feeling that I'll retard the development of my tulpa if I skip that phase. I don't think my tulpa can grow by himself since I don't have a good imagination.

Thanks for the fast response :)

Yup I understood that, but I still can't find many scenes. I think I don't have a good imagination.

If it helps, you're not "finding" scenes, you're creating them. If you're able to recall past experiences that shaped who you are today, as an example, then you're capable of doing this. A lot of people can still breeze through personality (even this method in particular) without having amazing visualization skills.

Ho, thanks for the template, it'll be really helpfull. But If I force while reading or filling the template (eyes opened so), it'll be considered as passive forcing, right ? Do you think it'll be enough to produice good results ?

Also, do I stop the personality phase once I explained all the traits, or what ?

Passive forcing is where the host does something with the tulpa, but isn't focusing solely on them. If you're still setting aside time for an active session where all of your focus is placed on your tulpa, I'd say it's active forcing for sure. Yes, it should be good enough, and you can move on once you feel like you have a general understanding of what the tulpa's personality is like. If you want to keep fleshing the traits out after you've gone through them initially, that's always an option.

I have the feeling that I'll retard the development of my tulpa if I skip that phase. I don't think my tulpa can grow by himself since I don't have a good imagination.

I don't think that it'll negatively affect your tulpa's development unless you believe it will. Not having a "good imagination" isn't really going to keep your tulpa from growing on their own.

If it helps, you're not "finding" scenes, you're creating them. If you're able to recall past experiences that shaped who you are today, as an example, then you're capable of doing this. A lot of people can still breeze through personality (even this method in particular) without having amazing visualization skills.

The problem isn't my visualization skills. They are decent. The problème is that I can't find / create (it's the same...) scenes because I don't have the idea.

Passive forcing is where the host does something with the tulpa, but isn't focusing solely on them. If you're still setting aside time for an active session where all of your focus is placed on your tulpa, I'd say it's active forcing for sure. Yes, it should be good enough, and you can move on once you feel like you have a general understanding of what the tulpa's personality is like. If you want to keep fleshing the traits out after you've gone through them initially, that's always an option.

Okay, thanks.

Coming up with circumstances to which your tulpa has to react can be very hard, so if you're using that method, what Imd advise is that you force as the day goes on. Maybe grab a scene in a movie that surprised you, and think for a few minutes about what your tulpa would have said. What if they had been the main character? What if they had been the extra dude just staring? The possibilities are endless. Or you can also write them down and force at the end of the day.

As for the second method, I used that one, so I'll just give you an insight of what I did.

I worked only two or three sessions on personality, but they were vey effective since I used symbolism. The whole purpose of symbolism - and forcing in general - is to "give meaning" to something, as me and Kaiko call it. Whether it's a personality trait or a tulpa.

For Kaiko, I grabbed a little jar, and spoke to it. I gave i the meaning of the trait.

Let's use 'kind' as an example. Your tulpa is kind. Why are they kind? How are they kind? Are they always kind? How does his kindness affect others? How does it affect them? How does it affect you? What doesnkindness mean to them? Do they know they're kind? How would kindness show in their normal everyday actions? Etc. You may end up repeating some stuff, so just keep thinking about your kind tulpa until you feel you know this trait and how it influences your tulpa. I made Kaiko drink the liquid in the jar at the end.

When using symbolism, you can get creative. Maybe use puzzle pieces that form your tulpa. Maybe a crustal ball filled with pieces of paper with their traits. The possibilities are endless.

Take a minute to understand the abstract nature of a personality. You can't fill in all the blanks by yourself. Just make the foundations, as solid as you'd like them, and let your tulpa smudge all those traits into their own personality. Let them deviate and observe the links between the traits. You don't have to memorize the traits. Just get to know them so that they paradoxically become what you thought they were. It may seem complex, but it's as complex as you want to make it.

I hope you could understand this properly. Happy forcing. :v

• 1 year later...

I'm kinda facing the same problem, I'm very new to creating tulpas but after researchng for a few days, I think I'm ready. What I did was close my eyes and visualise an orb which I can see is trying to start changing into a human form. I'm also seeing words and colours that seem to be linking themselves with the tulpa's personality, I have been writing these down but I still have a lot to do since I have'nt spent much time on my tulpa yet.

I'm kinda facing the same problem, I'm very new to creating tulpas but after researchng for a few days, I think I'm ready. What I did was close my eyes and visualise an orb which I can see is trying to start changing into a human form. I'm also seeing words and colours that seem to be linking themselves with the tulpa's personality, I have been writing these down but I still have a lot to do since I have'nt spent much time on my tulpa yet.

The orb strategy sounds like a great idea! Good luck!