Tetris Effect as Visual Imposition Method

DreamWalker

Question

[align=justify]

The Tetris effect (also known as Tetris Syndrome) occurs when people devote so much time and attention to an activity that it begins to pattern their thoughts, mental images, and dreams. It is named after the video game Tetris.

As the definition above says, this effect is not limited to only Tetris, but can come across as a crosshair for people that plays FPS, as a Pac Man level or even as a Rubik cube if you've interacted a good amount of time with any of those.

I have had experienced several times before the Tetris effect and it consisted of translucid hallucinations overlay over whatever I was looking at. I was able of controlling the falling tetrominos (the Tetris figures) since it started and it was as having the game on my head.

After sometime I realized I could play with those figures and "transform" them into whatever I wanted to, and this is how everyone who has the effect or is willing to play enough to get it can use it to shape their tulpa. Just transform the hallucinations you had from the games into what they look like. If you are able to control the tetrominos or whatever you're hallucinating, transforming them shouldn't be a problem.

Note: What I wrote is just based on my experiences and of 2 other guys I know who had the Tetris effect.

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect

[/align]

I can't correct the double S on the title, sorry about that.

10 answers to this question

Approved for Tips, although I really think this could have been written in a clearer manner.

I sometimes do something far simpler to enhance my imagination, visualization or even lucid dreams: look at some reference stimuli to 'prime' my mind with it, then when I visualize I end up visualizing in that way - this doesn't even take doing it for extended periods of time (it also works with video games, or movies or anything that has a specific style or 'feel' to it).

This is a more powerful technique than you'd think - for example, if you look at something detailed for a minute or so (try using glasses or a lens to see something more detailed than your eye can see by default, unless you have perfect vision already), you'll find that everything you visualize after that may easily end up as detailed as your earlier senses - basically what you can see you can recall and you can visually, not only that, you can take qualities from it. Do it enough and you don't have to put any effort whatsoever into it, it can be come involuntary (at least for some time).

I fixed the typo in the title and added a tag.

I don't know about your experiences but from mine, and from the usual reporting of the phenomenon, it's usually not experienced as visual hallucinations. Here's a nice article on it. The writer had a severe case and reports "near-hallucinations" - whatever those are - and the article does mention hallucinations but doesn't go into any detail. The main form of the Tetris effect is patterning of thoughts and visualisation according to the game, rather than hallucinations.

To tell you the truth, if you're experiencing translucent hallucinations that can be shaped according to your will then that sounds more like only the initial shape of the hallucinations is caused by excess Tetris, and not the hallucinations themselves. Certainly it is easier to manipulate the tetrominos than to turn them into something completely different, at least in my experience. But going further I strongly doubt that your experience is typical of those who have the effect.

In a more general sense this could be useful; NotAnonymous generalises this beyond belief to using reference stimuli. I might have approved that but I'm on the fence about approving your own tip because I really don't think that it's useful to most.

Yeah I feel like what you're talking about sounds more like hallucinations that just are influenced by the tetris effect rather than hallucinations caused by the tetris effect. There is a difference.

Actually reading your own experiences, I'm not sure if you're actually experiencing hallucinations or if you're just happening to visualize them really well? The line can get really blurry when we're talking of something that isn't a solid visual hallucination. Did you end up truly imposing using this method yourself, ending up with a fully solid tulpa?

This could be a visualization trick if nothing else, though. I'm not sure about the imposing part yet, would you mind giving us a bit more detail of your own experiences with this?

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

I don't know about your experiences but from mine, and from the usual reporting of the phenomenon, it's usually not experienced as visual hallucinations. Here's a nice article on it. The writer had a severe case and reports "near-hallucinations" - whatever those are - and the article does mention hallucinations but doesn't go into any detail. The main form of the Tetris effect is patterning of thoughts and visualisation according to the game, rather than hallucinations.

That's why I asked the other 2 people I knew who had it and they agree with what I experienced so I thought that was the "normal" effect. Also the link isn't working for me, could you post it again please.

Yeah I feel like what you're talking about sounds more like hallucinations that just are influenced by the tetris effect rather than hallucinations caused by the tetris effect. There is a difference.

Actually reading your own experiences, I'm not sure if you're actually experiencing hallucinations or if you're just happening to visualize them really well? The line can get really blurry when we're talking of something that isn't a solid visual hallucination. Did you end up truly imposing using this method yourself, ending up with a fully solid tulpa?

This could be a visualization trick if nothing else, though. I'm not sure about the imposing part yet, would you mind giving us a bit more detail of your own experiences with this?

They minos looked like this but in different colors, so I could see through them and avoid hitting something while walking. At dark places it was different, they looked solid and vivid. This was pre tulpa but I was able of seeing a dragon as real as if you got it out of a movie and it wasn't static although I had to move it.

If there are any more questions or I left one unanswered, don't hesitate to ask.

Indeed, like I said, the line can be really blurry when it comes to non-solid hallucinations and really vivid visualization. It can easily confuse people.

You did not say if you managed to impose a tupper using this method. Are you saying you can no longer do this or just forgot to mention if you've done the tupper imposing as well? If you no longer can do this then is this going to be a valid method? You know, if it's a skill you can suddenly lose just as fast as you get it. Would make using it for imposition a bit silly if you could do it but now can't...

I still feel that this might be more of a visualization tip, which could also be used for imposition if they happen to have the tetris effect go as far as it did with you. Perhaps you might want to rewrite this with that in mind, also giving hints as to how to use it for visualization and then going to imposition?

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

It seems surprising that your two friends agreed with you; perhaps they misunderstood or perhaps you are all hallucinogen users?

In any case I assure you it's not the normal effect.

This is from the article:

One final safety consideration involves the psychological effects that these games can trigger, including disorientation, anxiety, illusory motion sensations (persistent feelings that one is climbing, falling or flying long after the game is over), perceived disturbances in the visual field (hallucinations and after-images... er... ahem!)

But you may be right or it is just something it happens after a longer exposure. Also yes, I have used hallucinogens before but after having the effect so I don't think it has something to do with it.

You did not say if you managed to impose a tupper using this method. Are you saying you can no longer do this or just forgot to mention if you've done the tupper imposing as well? If you no longer can do this then is this going to be a valid method? You know, if it's a skill you can suddenly lose just as fast as you get it. Would make using it for imposition a bit silly if you could do it but now can't...

No, I haven't imposed her by this method but the reason I lost the ability was because I stopped using it. I didn't see a purpose for it back then other than entretain me for a while. I think it is just as playing any sport. If you stop doing it, you will have to work on it again to be as good as you were.

Also if people think this may be more helpful as a visualization tip instead of imposition, I can work on it in the future to focus on visualization instead of imposition.

I would definitely like you see writing this as a visualization tip mainly, with the added extra of imposition if someone else also manages to hallucinate like you. That way I feel like the tip could help more people, as some have trouble with the visualization part already.

(Waffles suggested that I do this,just in case that that needs to be known)

EDIT: I misunderstood him, but I might as well keep this here.

Being able to dynamically alter things like hallucinations to assist in imposition, visualization, and even possession have all been invaluable to me in the past. If it's something that you can do and practice, do it. It's a very useful resource to have.

The idea that repeated an continuous exposure to a thing (especially something simple, Tetris for instance) can affect perception is a good one. I think a bit more could be elaborate on, maybe providing some examples of how it worked for you and the others you mentioned. It was clearly stated and useful, but not extensive enough to be an entire guide, I think.

[align=center]Even though my username is that of my tulpa, Quilten, my name is Phaneron, the host, who does all of the actual posting.

Tulpas: Quilten, Jira

[/align]

Guest Anonymous

Not a guide, just something to be aware of, would fit in the general discussion forum better than tips section. Disapproved.