Hoenir

Question

Meditation (Second Revision)

To begin with I would like to say that I am not an experienced "tulpamancer" like a lot of you but I have been lurking and using all the guides here and I wanted to give something back.

I have been Meditating for years now. I have a BSc in psychology and I studied for 6 months under a monk in Bangkok Thailand who is very renowned for his techniques in meditation and I have taught many people and now I would like to share what I learned but only the points that I think useful to a "tulpamancer".

I have been using my techniques for the creation of my tulpa and the immersion into my wonderland has become a lot stronger than I even thought possible in only 3 days. I'm now at a point where it feels like I'm in a lucid dream and here is how I did it:

Posture

Now most of you probably think you know a thing or two about Meditative posture and I'm sure you do but re-learning basics always helps refresh your mind and remember whats important.

Now I see many meditative beginners slouching and hunching:

How+to+Meditate+-+Bad+Posture_8_side.png

To be honest through much hard work you could still achieve some altered states of consciousnesses in this posture but why make it harder for yourself?

I won't bore you with yoga like instructions but here are the basics:

1. Never let your back out of it's natural curve.
  2. Always keep your pelvis higher than your knees
  3. The body must be in alignment
  4. Relax!!!

How+to+Meditate+-+Quarter+Lotus+Posture_

I'm not asking you to be in full lotus but following the 3 keys you could even meditate in a normal dining chair as long as you don't lean on the back. For meditation on the floor (Recommended) a Zafu or meditation cushion or anything to bring your pelvis above your knees but sitting directly onto the floor will leave you in agony within a short amount of time.

Relax!!!

Now for some reason this doesn't always occur to everybody but the biggest tip I can give to anybody is relax. In order to meditate more effectively you need to forget about your physical body and focus internally and the only way to do that is to relax!

You all probably know this technique but here it is once again:

Begin by being in our posture and working your way up, starting with your toes just allow gravity to take a hold of them and let the tension naturally fall away. Moving onto your feet and legs you're looking for those tiny bits of tension in your body. With the correct posture as previously outlined your body won't slouch your head can balance perfectly on your shoulders without falling forwards and your back can remain straight.

With the back straight and the body aligned your breathing will naturally fall very shallow allowing you to ignore it along with your physical body.

State of Mind

There are so many states of consciousness that can be reached through meditation and hundreds of texts attempting to describe them. Personally I always think their descriptions missing something and so have decided it's a very personal experience.

Let's get back to "tulpaforcing". As I have previously stated I am not a very experienced "tulpamancer" but, having lurked on this forum for sometime I have established that the most important factor in "tulpaforcing" is concentration. The key to concentrating inwards (meditation) is giving the mind the freedom to let go of physical stimuli through posturing (for comfort and staying awake) and relaxing the body.

Do you find stray thoughts popping up? Make sure there is no tension in your body by working your way from your toes to your scalp just like before, allowing gravity to take hold and refocusing on your intent (your tulpa). Stray thoughts are normal (even if they're in the background), always bring your focus back to your tulpa, try not to get frustrated (remember to relax even your mind).

With everything in this guide you will be able to visualize stronger (the fact that your physical body can mentally stop existing, you can become immersed into your visualization, into your own wonderland). It makes you focus harder and it becomes easier to concentrate making the hard work of "tulpamancing" just that little bit easier and without having to become a meditation master.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Image back-ups:

Spoiler

Under "Now I see many meditative beginners slouching and hunching:"

image.png.da4d87ffe1f5cb7171a3a2d7dd504c1c.png

Under "I won't bore you with yoga like instructions but here are the basics:" list

image.png.a1a81445dab2e730f8119ce34035c058.png

Guest amber5885

This all may SEEM like no brained information but actually it's very well put together. I like the use of pictures there and all in all this I really helpful thank you!

I think you could outline what all, or a majority of the more prominent, benefits to this are, but that's pretty much my only major complaint. It's got a good way of explaining things and is very understandable. Overall, I'd say this qualifies as a decently put together, explanatory guide of meditation.

Approved for g̶u̶i̶d̶e̶s̶ resources.

[align=center]Even though my username is that of my tulpa, Quilten, my name is Phaneron, the host, who does all of the actual posting.

Tulpas: Quilten, Jira

[/align]

Posture

Now most of you probably think you know a thing or two about Meditative posture and I'm sure you do but re-learning basics always helps refresh your mind and remember whats important.

This is good. It's always a good idea to start with the basics rather than assuming it's something all of your readers will already know.

Now I see many meditative beginners slouching and hunching:

To be honest through much hard work you could still achieve some altered states of consciousnesses in this posture but why make it harder for yourself?

I like this, too. Pointing out common mistakes helps readers understand what not to do, which is nearly as important (if not equally important) as telling them what they should do.

I won't bore you with yoga like instructions but here are the basics:

1. Never let your back out of it's natural curve.
  2. Always keep your pelvis higher than your knees
  3. The body must be in alignment
  4. Relax!!!

I like how you've put the instructions in a simple list. It helps keep it simple and easy for readers to understand and remember. I do think "Relax!!!" is a bit vague, considering that relaxation is a major part of meditation, but I don't think that's a big deal because you do go into detail on that part later.

For meditation on the floor (Recommended) a Zafu or meditation cushion is needed.

You don't need a meditation cushion to meditate. It's recommended, but not required.

the only way to do that is; Relax!

The punctuation here is a bit weird. The semicolon and capitalization are unnecessary and make it seem kind of awkward, since "relax" is supposed to be part of the preceding sentence. It would make more sense to write it as "the only way to do that is to relax".

Starting in your posture and working your way up start with your toes and just allow gravity to take a hold of them then moving to your feet and onwards. With the correct posture as previously outlined your body won't slouch your head can balance perfectly on your shoulders without falling and your back can remain straight.

I kind of like this, kind of don't. It's somewhat clear and not unnecessarily complicated or long, which is good. I can understand the instructions just fine, though I don't know how well most people will understand the concept of "just allow gravity to take a hold of them". I could just be underestimating other people's ability to comprehend things, though, so it probably isn't a big deal.

With the back straight and the body aligned your breathing with naturally fall very shallow a state of being spoke of a lot in meditative texts.

This is worded in a way that is not-quite-grammatical and somewhat unclear. First of all, I'm assuming you meant to say "will", not "with". "Naturally fall very shallow" doesn't make a whole lot of sense either (I understand what you're trying to convey, but the specific way it's worded isn't quite right). The "state of being spoke of a lot" part also confused me; I didn't quite understand how "a state" fit there and thought you were saying this was "being spoke of a lot" and didn't understand why you put "of" before that. It took me awhile to understand it, but that may have been my own reading comprehension failing me there (although "spoken" instead of "spoke" is the correct form of the word to use in this context). The lack of commas also makes this a bit harder to read. I'd advise rewording it to be something more like "With the back straight and the body aligned, your breathing will naturally become very shallow, a state of being spoken of a lot in meditative texts."

State of Mind

Now state of mind in "tulpamancing" is all about focusing on your tulpa but with the things I have previously outlined your mind will relax naturally along with your body and the true work of "tulpaforcing" can commence with a clear and focused mind.

With everything in this guide you will be able to visualize stronger, focus harder and concentrate easier making the hard work of "tulpamancing" just that little bit easier and without becoming a meditation master.

I have tried not to outline all the benefits of this here but I'm sure by just trying it you will see them all and realize how much easier everything becomes.

This is good! A meditation guide is good and all, but guides here have to be useful for tulpaforcing somehow. I like how you've explicitly stated here how meditation helps with forcing.

Now, my thoughts on the guide as a whole. It's important for guides to be kept simple enough that they are easy to understand yet contain enough information for them to be useful. If a guide is too complex, it can be hard to understand and follow along with; on the other hand, if it is too simple, it may be lacking in important information. This guide strikes a good balance between "simple and clear" and "having enough useful information", which is good. I like the use of pictures to demonstrate good and bad posture, as well, since that visually tells readers how they should be sitting.

I don't see much that's wrong with this guide besides the fact that the grammar could use some touching up. You didn't use a single comma throughout the entire guide; using commas would make it smoother to read. I saw a couple errors with apostrophes as well, so reading up on how to properly use commas and apostrophes and making sure to proofread before posting would be a good idea

I also think it would be a good idea to describe how it feels to be in a meditative state. That isn't a necessary part of explaining how to meditate, but it would give readers an idea of what to expect while meditating.

To sum up:

Pros:

• Simple, easy to understand, and somewhat clear
  • Starts with the basics
  • Tells readers what not to do as well as what to do
  • Explains the benefits of meditation in relation to tulpaforcing
  • Has pictures that supplement instructions

Cons:

• Minor grammatical errors
  • Some parts of the guide are a little vague or unclear
  • Doesn't explain what being in a meditative state is like (which is not necessary but is a good idea to include)

All in all, I think this is a good guide. It has some flaws, sure, but the flaws are minor. I like a lot of things about this guide, and it definitely seems to be a useful guide, so I'd say the good aspects of this guide outweigh the bad by far. I approve.

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)

What others have stated already have enough detailed expositions on what could make the submission a bit better. But I personally feel that it would be good to list some benefits, even if they may not be overly important to the premise of the guide. If possible, you could link to sources on those benefits for people to read more into, but I don't think would be essential, though it would help. The same would apply for the section on Relax, as I know another submission that was a "just do it" submission received a bit of negative criticism for being a bit vague on what that really meant (but it did have good intentions involved as well).

The pictures helps a lot, and cuts out the reader from having to imagine what it would be like just through descriptive text (which saves debates on those who may not be competent to see the end result of something that may be interpreted as symbolic just through text).

For the State of Mind section, I feel you could extend a bit on some advice of reaching whatever altered state of consciousness/mind/mentality/etc. Kind of like how you mentioned you feel the experiences is somewhat equivalent to having a lucid dream, I’m sure you know about mental anchors, i.e., visualization tricks to help the person ease into the journey through whatever hallucinations and imaginative experiences they’ll have. You could link to some resources if you feel that would create a challenge in explaining whatever symbolic/metaphorical means to reach the altered state (e.g. guided meditation, things of that nature).

But honestly, with the setup of the guide submission as is, it can make it clear to the reader that they should just take whatever advice loosely as incentive to come up with their own mode of conditioning themselves to whatever states of being suitable for forcing.

And sorry to broach the topic, it’s good to see someone being open with their level of expertise in study instead of trying to remain completely anonymous. Not that it would help with guide submissions in general, but at least gradually giving a good impression that if one person has psychological studies under their belt, it may shift to more areas offering advice in assessing tulpas in general. If the suggestions are taken into consideration, as I’m sure it’s easy to update on them if needed, I’ll approve for Guides.

If it can’t, or minor extensions others suggested aren’t implemented in some form, I’d approve for Tips & Tricks. But I’m leaning more on Guides, though. I use the bed head as a support for my back when I used to count to 1,000, but this is just rambling on my end. The same shallow feeling you mentioned is something I can attest to as well, and that’s the moment it becomes fun seeing what your mind projects to you.

Thank you all for your kind words and advice. I was being rushed by somebody at the time of writing and so a proof read was not an option.

After re-reading I can see my errors and what needs to be expanded upon, I will do an edit this afternoon once I finish my work (around 1800GMT).

I do a lot of meditation courses myself, so I'm just going to throw out a few questions people have asked me:

How is this better than normal visualization?

What do you do when your mind wanders?

Is it bad when you're focused, but you're still having thoughts about other things in the background?

I think answers to these would be useful.

But great guide. I've been thinking that this site needs a good meditation guide for months now.

I like how you start with posture -- not many people realize how important posture is to meditation. I have sat for three hours of straight meditation without moving at all, and I can tell you that if your posture isn't right, you will be in absolute agony within ten or twenty minutes. Your head is very heavy and it's a lot of strain on your back if it's not balanced well above your spine.

I suppose fennecgirl is right that you absolutely don't need a zafu to meditate on the floor, but you're right that you definitely should have something. Sitting on the floor by itself puts your back in the wrong position, and you will be in agony very quickly. When meditating on the floor, you should ideally be sitting maybe around six inches above what your legs are resting on. Sitting on a couch cushion is almost as bad as the floor alone -- they're too soft and you sink right through them to the floor. You'll need to pile up four or five to get in roughly the right position, and it will be hard to balance on that many

Overall, this is a good guide that is definitely needed here. I think it will definitely be ready for the Guides section after a few revisions.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

Well, I gotta start by saying that I'm not all too familiar with meditation and such, so I'm going to let those who know it better than me to affect my opinion here in case someone brings something serious up. But right now I can't say I see anything that would make me think what you're saying wouldn't work or is harmful in some way. I do like how you remind people that having stray thoughts and such is normal, though. Sometimes people can forget that little thing and then grow discouraged because they can't have some kind of perfect concentration "everyone" has - when I doubt anyone truly has that, others just can return to the previous topic much faster and easier.

This is written in a guide-like manner, so I wouldn't put this in tips and tricks. Though the question I got is is this more guides or resources material? Keep in mind that the Guides section is for tulpa-related guides, which this technically isn't - it's a meditation guide which can be of help of course, but I'm not sure if this has enough tulpa to go in Guides. We should take a look at two approved threads that were put in different sections: ThatOneGuy's centering guide which was about concentration and was put in guides as it was seemed to relate to tuppers enough while bila bila's meditation help was put in Resources. It really could go in either one due to its nature, so I hope that GAT members would read the two linked threads and compare them to this one to decide which one it resembles more when it comes to actual tulpa-related material.

In this guide, only the last chapter really talks about tuppers in any way. I am really on the fence here as on one hand, I want to say Resources because it's more of a meditation guide than a tulpa guide, even though meditation can help with tulpas. But this is something that the other members should mention as well. I think I could say I will approve this however, unless some meditation expert comes along and says something about this is really off and it makes sense to me. I do suggest that you listen to the others as they look like they have more experience about meditation and know what they want out of a meditation guide.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

-You needn't sell yourself short in your introduction, it may frontload people into not taking your guide seriously

-The first paragraph seems unnecessary

-Second Paragraph seems grammatically awkward

-"The body must be in alignment" What?

-"Zafu Meditation Cushion"

-"Directly onto the floor" Should be "Directly on the floor" or even just "on the floor."

-"Visualize Stronger" -> "Visualize Better"

-"Personally I always think their descriptions missing something and so have decided it's a very personal experience. " Do you feel you have overcome the apparent feeling of missing something with this guide? How is it different from any other Meditation Guide out there?

The grammar and sentence structure of this article could use some revisions - it is clear that the author has a clear picture of what they are trying to convey but they seem at a loss for adequately explaining it to others, which is the general purpose of a guide.

As such, despite being written in a guide-like fashion, I agree with the suggestion that this should be moved to tips and tricks; it relates more to the theory and practice of meditation than it does to tulpas in general and has a few minor grammatical errors which make it (as of now) seem a bit less professional than what we like to accept as a guide.

Definitely approved. The question is for where. Probably not "Guides" because it isn't directly about tulpas. I think it fits Resources more than Tips & Tricks. The way I see it (please correct me if I'm wrong) Tips & Tricks is advice on specific parts of the forcing process, while Resources is things that can be useful either as part of the forcing process or on their own -- something people outside the community do as well. This guide is definitely the latter. Plus, if put in Resources, it can keep the other meditation guide company (though I think this one completely eclipses that one).

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson