Pikuseru's Mind's Eye Trick

pikuseru

Question

Fairly simple, but I find this rather effective for helping to see things in your mind instead of projecting them onto your eyelids.

Find some smallish object like a baseball or book or something and look at it from every angle. Try to remember the shape, color, and feel of the object and create a sort of mental model of it, e.g. "This is a blue plastic cup with butterflies on". Once you feel that you've studied it enough, imagine your thing floating behind your head. If your thing has moving bits, then move them. Practice with more complex things, legos, or even conjure up some silly putty and muck about with it.

Since it's supposed to be behind you, your eyes won't be expecting to see anything, thus forcing you to "look" at it in a more abstract sense.

7 answers to this question

That's a neat idea. I'm going to say approved for Tips and Tricks. I question the "create a mental model" bit, but I can't say for sure that it doesn't belong here, and it's hardly worth disapproving this for that. I'd be interested in hearing how this works for people who are new to visualization though.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

Yes, I'd approve of this for tips and tricks. As far as it comes to the "mental model" bit, I guess sushi's going for that it's probably an optional step? Depending on how detailed one thinks this mental model is supposed to be and how much time and effort should be put into it, some people could just look at a thing, close their eyes and then see the thing pretty well after that because they remember how it looked. I'm going to assume that this is all a mental model really means, that's how I read it. Did I read it wrong?

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Approved for Tips. I remember doing something like this when forcing recently, though I was imagining the whole room I was forcing in, and ended up having one of my tulpas drive around the virtual neighborhood in my head. Hopefully, this can help those who literally see nothing but black behind their eyelids, and can't get a sense of what it really means to have a mind's eye visualization.

Yes, I'd approve of this for tips and tricks. As far as it comes to the "mental model" bit, I guess sushi's going for that it's probably an optional step? Depending on how detailed one thinks this mental model is supposed to be and how much time and effort should be put into it, some people could just look at a thing, close their eyes and then see the thing pretty well after that because they remember how it looked. I'm going to assume that this is all a mental model really means, that's how I read it. Did I read it wrong?

Nope, you got it right. A temporary mental toy, basically.

Approved for tips. Seems like a nice shortcut to get into a good visualisation mindset - a classic 'just imagine', but much more concrete and helpful. The advice to create a model is good, as well; even if you think you can already see as much about a cup or ball as you think you can, your visualisation will be easier and better if you've looked at one just beforehand.

Fairly simple, but I find this rather effective for helping to see things in your mind instead of projecting them onto your eyelids.

Find some smallish object like a baseball or book or something and look at it from every angle. Try to remember the shape, color, and feel of the object and create a sort of mental model of it, e.g. "This is a blue plastic cup with butterflies on". Once you feel that you've studied it enough, imagine your thing floating behind your head. If your thing has moving bits, then move them. Practice with more complex things, legos, or even conjure up some silly putty and muck about with it.

Since it's supposed to be behind you, your eyes won't be expecting to see anything, thus forcing you to "look" at it in a more abstract sense.

I always see images in my mind and not infront of my eyelids.

How can i project them to my eyelids?

Yeah, that's a good question concerning how to move from visualisation to imposition.

I think it's actually rare for people to see stuff on their eyelids. I guess you just look at imposition exercises, and that will get you towards eyelid stuff.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.