Any similarity between code-switching and tulpamancy, you think?

The term "code switching" was traditionally coined to describe the mixing of two languages in a bilingual individual (the sort of meta version of this is a 'pidgin' language, though it arises due to initial contact between two groups of people rather than with familiarity or mastery of both languages). 

However, in the modern era, "code-switching" has come to mean a switching of accents to fit into different everyday contexts, especially black people switching from African-American Vernacular English when with friends to something more 'acceptable' in professional spaces. It can also apply to lesser switching, such as goes on between interacting with parents vs. interacting with a new group of people vs. interacting with well known people vs. any number of subcultures and norms. 

Now, it's interesting to note that in the study of linguistic cognition, when a person learns a different language (*learns, not is raised with*) there appears to form an appreciably different personality when conversing in that language.

https://www.communicaid.com/business-language-courses/blog/bilingualism-personality-change-according-language-speak/

Language can deeply affect our perception of reality in some cases. 

https://www.translatemedia.com/us/blog-us/how-language-affects-perception/

I wrote a reflection quite a while ago that poses an implied question, what if a salve to the 'conflict' that is so bemoaned between code switching is to begin thinking of yourself as more flexible, that each part of you is equally valid, rather than thinking of yourself as a singular identity that is having to 'change.' 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-lSlAx19yfbrRJp1DQD4xIo4LNyjOvQYAfoKMl29f64/edit?usp=sharing

Do any of you consider this facet of human cognition sort of at the shallow end of a pool with regard to multiple systems?

Woodwindwhistler on www.asexuality.org

The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings. -Eric Hoffer

"We can never achieve perfection, but maybe we can approach it asymptotically. Never give up on plugging in those numbers!" ~Me

You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note. –Doug Floyd

My poetry: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5qMnL2tDkJYOGNhLW4tRHFHa0E&usp=sharing

My first thought would've been "very little if any", but if they show a significantly different personality, then perhaps there is more of a relation to multiples and such.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

@TheGreenQueen

some aren't keen with recognising or better acknowledging the differences in "code-switching" because they do not appreciate the ersatz or disingenuous aspects societal and interpersonal conventions force upon themselves. I loathe having to subdue my cultivated affectation for others (namely from my childhood) because I feel it is unnecessary. At the same time these individuals have developed a grimly mocking distaste for how I behave and sound to them now because they cannot differentiate between those who are forced to adapt to new surroundings and others who merely copy new modes of speech for the sake of histrionics. It may be possible for some to accept all of these pieces of themselves yet I feel life is far more complicated in that others will contain a shard of personality they feel perpetually uncomfortable with.

As one who is learning different languages I will have to agree that speaking another tongue may seem to draw out a unique personality. It may not line up with the reasoning you've proposed however I believe what is observed here is not another personality construct but instead an envisioned perception of how one would talk and act if they had spoke or written these newly comprehended tongues since inception. While I am not adverse to "multiples", I cannot appreciate the ramifications of immediately accepting mere aspects of oneself as entirely new personalities (at least without the external diagnosis of a licensed professional). To me it would be like eyeing the top of an expertly cut diamond and considering that facet alone an entirely new mineral specimen, unappreciative of the many sides and angles that remain.

I do like your pointing out how language can apparently change reality itself - not very difficult to fathom seeing how different languages not only allow us to better understand our mother tongue but also very many others with more proficiency. It might not seem very important at first yet the simple fact you can now read, write and speak with others you couldn't before is empowering and kind of reality-warping, especially if one had lived long ignorant of the intricate nuances or elegance the genuine articles lack in translation. It can really show just how deep the gulf in language barriers can be...

I've seen good people bleed

And I thought I'd seen it all

But my own two eyes would prove me wrong that day.

There are things that I've done

Only seen by the sun

And those things will be buried in my grave.