Ask Lumi's Tulpas
Angry Bear Online
In The Shell
Patron

Threads: 5
Linked Accounts

RE: Ask Lumi's Tulpas

Quote:Post redacted by author(me)
I posted a question based on a misunderstanding. Sorry.

Angry Bear: host, 6'4", green eyes, brown hair
Ashley: tulpa, 5'6", 27, amber eyes, brown hair
Dashie: tulpa, 5'4", 21, dark violet eyes, blue hair
Misha: tulpa, 5'0", 20, blue eyes, magenta/pink hair
Our Journey
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2018, 02:45 PM by Angry Bear.)
08-26-2018, 12:28 PM
Find Reply

Sponsors:
Lolflash - click it, you know you want to

Luminesce Offline
loves the moon
Registered

Threads: 12
4 Attached Accounts

Response to a PM asking how I could believe tulpas aren't capable of being active without the host's attention/not believe in parallel processing, while still believing in tulpa sentience:

My tulpas just existing doesn't require that much from our brain. We can talk and interact pretty easily. Parallel processing is a lot more extreme a process, such as doing separate math equations at the same time. I think most people who think they can do these things are actually multitasking, which is switching back and forth between processes, possibly quickly. Pausing in the middle of one math equation to work on another or some such.

I have four tulpas, and if we could parallel process just because "they're tulpas", we'd be winning competitions for all sorts of things across the world because we had the processing power of 5 people. But we don't. My belief is just that hosts and their tulpas all work off of the same amount of processing power in the brain, and that having a tulpa doesn't suddenly make the brain more powerful.

As for true parallel processing even taking into account using double the processing power of the brain, I've never been able to do anything like that despite a lot of attempting, and it seems after some research that the two types of "parallel processing" are:

Multitasking, where you quickly switch back and forth between tasks, possibly so quickly it seems you're doing both at once, but technically never are; and

Combining multiple tasks into one, as seen with "pat your head and rub your stomach" - assuming you've not done this too many times before, it should take you a moment of being somewhat confused, before you can do it just fine. That moment is your brain combining the tasks into one. Switching then to patting your stomach and rubbing your head, you should experience that moment of confusion again, before you can easily do it again.

I think nearly all examples of "parallel processing" are a mix of those two things. As for tulpas "existing without the host knowing", like having wonderland experiences without the host's knowing until being told of them, I believe that's people tricking themselves into believing it happened when it really didn't, creating memories on the spot (or maybe intermittently over time). A lot of people don't believe in that these days because it just doesn't make sense.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.
Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.
My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.
10-06-2018, 07:14 PM
Find Reply
Luminesce Offline
loves the moon
Registered

Threads: 12
4 Attached Accounts

(10-06-2018, 04:42 PM)Angry Bear Wrote: This one is for anyone, but lumi's system especially.

I had a horrible lucid nightmare. Probably one of the worst nightmares i had in my life, and lucid, so i remember every horrifying moment. Sounds, feelings, visuals, everything.

It's too gruesome to repeat here, i couldn't even write it in my personal journal.

As far as the lucid part, i was stuck basically trying to wake up and/or help in some way, but the damage was done.

My first thought here was to link you some articles on the subject, but they don't seem terribly interested in trying to help avoid lucid nightmares or regain control during them. I guess if they're not too terribly horrifying that's fine. I'll link a couple from the main lucid dreaming sites anyway real quick: https://howtolucid.com/lucid-nightmares/ and https://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/...mares.html

I guess if you just wanted to hear others' experiences those work fine. But the closest thing to helping with future ones I'd say is in the first article at the end, which suggested using your lucidity to realize what's going on isn't real and to perhaps use the experience as a means to deal with something you're obviously afraid of on some level.

I wholeheartedly believe the evolutionary purpose of dreams is for us to deal with possible scenarios that could come up in waking life ahead of time, so we're not so terribly unprepared when they do happen. Most of the time, these aren't straight up nightmares for most people, but nightmares do happen (Some people have mostly stressful, apocalyptic or otherwise fearful dreams just by default - that sucks). As best I can tell, the majority of nightmares are based on unconscious fears you have, probably spurred by feelings you had in waking life, but explored more in-depth in the dreaming state.

At the very least, you should know that they can't hurt you and you shouldn't be worse off for experiencing them. Only obsessing over them, and possibly causing repeat nightmares, could really be a bad thing. I recommend the same thing as the Howtolucid article: Use the experience to sort out your feelings on whatever it was you were afraid of, or disgusted by, et cetera. It's not your mind thinking you're going to enjoy the experience, or wanting it to ever happen. It's the opposite in fact, it's your mind being afraid it wouldn't be ready to handle such a thing if it happened in waking life. Which, of course, if the dream was bad enough you might never have been able to. Still, you can at least take the edge off. Come to terms with your feelings and make them clear - if you were horrified or disgusted, accept that, but don't dwell on it. That's not the point. It didn't actually happen, so now isn't the time to spend so much energy thinking about it.

Unfortunately being lucid really will make nightmares much more intense and detailed, but I don't think that was by any means on purpose by your mind. It was an unlucky coincidence. That's why it would stick with you more than a normal nightmare, though, which as I've explained isn't the intent of your mind. The ideas come up during sleep for a reason; you're generally supposed to forget about them after the fact.

While dream interpretation is mostly full of fluff, I still respect what its actual purpose is, to learn from your dreams. I believe that's why we dream in the first place. While "looking for deeper meaning" is essentially never actually correct, it works because it causes you to be more conscious of things that could be subconsciously bothering you. Personally, I have the ability to tell what sorts of thoughts and experiences inspired whatever events happen in my dreams, somehow. I can just feel that so-and-so was a similar thought or fear as something I'd thought about or experienced recently, even though they're rarely so similar.

But a lucid nightmare really is just getting unlucky. It wasn't intended to feel so real or detailed, lucid dreaming doesn't seem intentional just in general. The last five paragraphs (specifically) of this article https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/...nightmares talk about that. So I wouldn't, I don't know, take it too seriously. Well, I guess you should be able to draw your own conclusions from what I've said so far right?

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.
Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.
My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2018, 07:40 PM by Luminesce.)
10-06-2018, 07:36 PM
Find Reply