Hello There, Guest! Register

Can you solve my riddle
Lucilyn Offline
Very Hop'n Hop'n Hoppy
Registered

Threads: 3
All Accounts Posts: 2,254

RE: Can you solve my riddle
(03-14-2017, 02:21 AM)Paranoid Llama Wrote: So you are in a basement. You receive absolutely no indication of light from the incandescent lightbulb upstairs within this space. In the basement are three levers, and only one turns on the light. You are only allowed to go up to check on the lightbulb once. So, how do you figure out which one is the right one?

hold out your hands and fingers in L shapes, the one that makes an L is your left hand, and so the lever that isn't on that side is the right one

Hi I'm one of Lumi's tulpas. I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.
All of my posts should be read at a hundred miles per hour because that's probably how they were written.
Please talk to me https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas
03-14-2017, 05:53 AM
Find Reply
jean-luc Offline
capt@in.jean-luc.org
Registered

Threads: 44
All Accounts Posts: 578

It's impossible; unless you pull some shit like leaving one lever half on so that the light flickers, you only have one bit of information (one check, during which the light is either on or off) which is not enough to discern between 3 options.

Host: Jean-luc (plain-colored text)
Tulpas: Snow & Henry
Choose your tulpas' colors here!
Click here if you'd like a changing avatar like mine!
Ain't that just fantitiliantastic!
I host a podcast called Tulpaudcast.
and ramble crazily about everything while walking on Jean-luc walking.
03-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Find Reply
Flandre Offline
Lucent Qualia
Registered

Threads: 0

Read And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie and figure out whodunnit before the end of the book. Good luck.

Hi. I'm one of Luminesce's tulpas. Unlike the others, I don't think I stand out too much from him personality wise.
I'm just special because "I'm a tulpa". So I don't think I've much to offer, here. I'm happy enough to just be with him.
Ask us stuff - https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas
03-14-2017, 05:41 PM
Find Reply
tulpa001 Offline
<void>
Forum Moderators

Threads: 24
All Accounts Posts: 1,682

The butler did it.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.
03-14-2017, 06:48 PM
Find Reply
Lucilyn Offline
Very Hop'n Hop'n Hoppy
Registered

I don't even think there was a butler

Hi I'm one of Lumi's tulpas. I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.
All of my posts should be read at a hundred miles per hour because that's probably how they were written.
03-14-2017, 06:57 PM
Find Reply
Paranoid Llama Offline
Forum Games Maniac
Registered

Threads: 9
All Accounts Posts: 236

Do you guys want to know how to solve it? I'll leave the solution here:

Solution: Notice how I mentioned it was specifically an incandescent light bulb, meaning it heats up after prolonged periods of being turned on. What you do is you turn on one switch, leave it on for a while,  close it and then switch another lever on, and then go check. If it's on, it was the lever you left on, if it's off and hot, it's the lever you first switched, and if it's off and cold, it's the lever you didn't touch.

I'm not going to listen to you guys since you are all probably just talking to yourself and don't really have a tulpa like me.

03-15-2017, 05:07 AM
Find Reply
Lucilyn Offline
Very Hop'n Hop'n Hoppy
Registered

knew there was probably something weird with how much detail you gave there but I didn't know anything about incandescent lightbulbs so

03-15-2017, 05:36 AM
Find Reply
Kiah Offline
Sans giraffe
Forum Administrators

Threads: 31

I was expecting a really stupid answer to that one, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I think I expect stupid answers to most riddles, because so many of them rely on misinformation, cheeky word play, or some huge leap of logic.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2017, 06:18 AM by Kiah.)
03-15-2017, 06:17 AM
Find Reply