Creating a tulpa based off a fictional character? (I'm fictionkin)

Hi! So I've browsed for about a week (I've known abt tulpae beforehand but never considered it until stumbling upon this website) and have been considering creating a tulpa. However, I'm thinking about basing them off of a fictional character that is very dear to me (I am fictionkin and they were my s/o in canon)

Is this okay to do?? I'm sort of scared about doing it because I've seen they can diverge from the originally planned thing that you've based them off of. I'm not a very strong emotional person so I'm afraid that creating a tulpa based off of this person would just turn into a coping mechanism for my mental stuff and not an actual relationship or friendship I could develop, and I'm also afraid if things don't go the way that I've planned them to be that I'll end up devastated over it.

Even if you're not fictionkin, could you look it up and give me your opinion on this?? Thank you very much

That sounds like a terrible idea. You should not make tulpas just because you like a character. Tulpas are people and should be treated that way. They will grow and change over time. No matter how much you base your tulpa on a character, they are not that character. They are their own person, and if you're unwilling to accept that, you shouldn't make a tulpa. Tulpas are not accessories or characters, and they don't exist just to fulfill your fascination with a fictional character, and if you think that they do, you should not pursue tulpamancy.

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

It's perfectly fine to attach the appearance and personality of a fictional character to your tulpa, but don't expect them to adhere to your preferences or whatever relationship dynamics you might have in mind. Deviation is a very common occurrence in the creation process - if you're not prepared for that, it might mean that you're going into this for the wrong reasons and you should reconsider. You'd be better off finding another "fictionkin" that identifies with your character's partner or finding someone who is just willing to act out scenarios for you.

It seems like if you’re really nervous about it you should take a bit more time to consider it before you start the creation process. Give it some consideration: I think if you decide to make a tulpa, you should try to commit to your relationship regardless of how they turn out. Which I think is a difficult thing every tulpamancer has to learn. I’m working on that myself right now. But I think you should try to go into it with the mindset that they’ll be who they want to be, and if they happen to identify as your canon SO then great! But you should be prepared to accept them if they deviate, because that’s probably the healthiest relationship dynamic you could have. I think you should consider to what extent that’s acceptable to you before you start the process.

And either way, they’ll probably love you all the same. That part of their character probably won’t be compromised.

As for whether it’s okay to create a tulpa based on a fictional character, there’s been quite a bit of debate over this. I think the conclusion people have come to recently is that it’s fine as long as the tulpa knows they aren’t really that character. The thinking is that if they don’t know when they’re born they’ll have an identity crisis somewhere down the line, but if they know beforehand that won’t be a problem. As for how true that is, I don’t know; my tulpa Florean wasn’t based on anyone, so I can only speak from what I’ve read.

*also: this is my first time posting on the actual forum after lurking for months!*

I think it's best to avoid character tulpas altogether, so they don't feel pressured to look or act a certain way to please the host. They can be themselves more freely, rather than try to be someone else.

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

While tulpas planned to be a very specific way/have certain relationships do deviate somewhat, they probably won't just turn around and say "Nah, don't actually like you at all."

They could, but probably not.

If you base a tulpa off of someone like that you already knew well and who already loved you, it'll probably work out fine. But not because they're necessarily a copy of that character. It's moreso based around your expectations and who you shape the tulpa to be, and who they draw their influence from if any. So they'll probably still like you. You can convince yourselves that they're basically the character, if you and they want. It's your mind.

But I'm only saying this because you used terms like "fictionkin", so I've made some assumptions to tailor the advice for you. Normally you'd get responses like the above, and they may still apply.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas