forum love or like

solarchariot

I have been told that 'we' would like a 'like button' because there are some really insightful responses. (Tulpa001 made us laugh.) Ummm, maybe a point system. Sure, Tulpa001 and Lucilyn, will probably get all most of my allotted daily points to distribute, but we have to pick on someone. (Sorry, other favorites we left out.) Maybe it would increase validity of consensus with a particular response without echoing it in future responses.

And this probably doesn't even go here. But we thought we would throw it out there and see if it stuck. If doesn't nothing else but say, we do love our forum, well, there you go.

Hey thanks! Idk if that's even possible, since we don't make the software the forum runs, and I feel like a loooooooooooong time ago there was another discussion about this.. seemed like it wasn't gonna happen.

if I'm being completely honest rn, I think it would be a bad idea, because it would make people feel left out. As it stands you just reply and say, hey, I appreciated that post! Or reply to a thread by a newer/less active member, or something. One or two replies can make a thread feel more "successful" and help make people less afraid to be active afterward. But if we had like/dislike mechanics, people would get discouraged that they didn't get as many as more regular users, or just compare their threads to more popular ones. I like the idea! And it's nice to have a way to more casually show appreciation for posts you liked than a whole reply. But I really think overall it would be worse than what we have now, because there's already people that feel kinda neglected here, and I know how scary it can be to make a thread or even post in the first place for some people.

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Ah, Lucilyn, so on point. We are sorting, but, as always, you make sense. (People feel left out?) Ahh, the chatter ensues. One of the things that is most likely to result in me not responding is to a thread that was initiated a long time ago... like more than a million years ago in a galaxy far away, or six months, still figuring out relativity... unless the last response was like really current and or really clever. Umm, is that fear? What is that? I am gauging some quality that is influencing my participation.... (What?! Okay.) Oh, by the way, "HI."

I have been told that 'we' would like a 'like button' because there are some really insightful responses.

Perhaps there is similar merit in doing this on a per-user basis, rather than a per-response basis. Users who have posted quality, informative, and insightful information often do so consistently over time. In this sense, those users have good reputations.

It turns out that the forum software this website uses has a built-in reputation system, which is used by many other forum-based sites.

The fact that the reputation feature is disabled on this site despite being so popular elsewhere leads me to believe that it is disabled for a very good reason. It's easy to understand how such a feature could cause forum drama, which, I think, is the last thing any of us want. Maybe there should be some discussion on this, to understand why the reputation feature is disabled on this site and if it could possibly be enabled given enough interest?

if I'm being completely honest rn, I think it would be a bad idea, because it would make people feel left out.

While this is a natural consequence of any system of this sort, it is not necessarily a negative consequence. Part of the premise is to encourage users to make informative, insightful, high-quality posts, in order to avoid having no reputation, having no likes, or otherwise getting "left out." Incentivization can be a powerful tool.

Again, this clearly has the potential to spark forum drama. Again, a good deal of discussion from regular users, as well as staff, would lend a lot to understanding just how everybody feels about this and what options are available if this is indeed a course of action the collective community is willing to condone.

It's worth noting that this is not entirely dissimilar from an idea that Pleeb had for the site a long, long time ago.

I think people already do their best to make informative-insightful-high-quality posts, like, consistently all the time. And people are still scared of not being appreciated for just normal posts/threads even without the vote system, it would discourage content I think (there are a TON of lurkers that never post - we could even ask them to say hi to prove it, but I think they like keeping 0 posts). Seriously though everyone tries really hard to be helpful already by default, so I don't see any good reason to have a system like that except to make people already established here feel better. But, well, one, that's intimidating! It just inspires competition and comparing yourself to others instead of real connections. I know how people feel about me based on what they say! Not a number by my name. Also it's so late into tulpa.info's life it'd be super biased to the new members. Like, I would probably get way more reputation or whatever than Kiah or Linkzelda, when they've done way more than me for the forum! We needed that system to be around years ago if it was gonna be.

Idk, I'm just saying if we're voting on something like this my vote's a no. I don't think its positives will be worth the negatives

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

If someone makes a helpful or informative post, you could let them know through responses or private messages. A point system is unnecessary and would likely be abused, at least from what I've gathered in every other forum I've participated in.

I don't think we should be rating our users here. Although a fun social experiment, playing king of the hill with real life matters is spiritually harmful. Both to those who win and to those who lose.

From a social engineering perspective, all signs point to implementing such a system to be unhealthy for the site, and the site's goals.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

So, anon recognizes potential drama ensuing, Lucilyn fears increased competition decreasing responses, echoed by tulpa001 in 'king of the hill' social experiment, and Vos sharing the sentiment, 'like' is bad a idea. My enthusiasm for 'like' button is waning, which means I must endeavor, or work harder at, not being a silent lurking and practice being social. I have never had a problem being casually social, and can be significantly social in specific, contrived circumstances, IE work, book club... Assuming the posed question is not seeking to make forum a facebook-facsimile, which I don't want, then there is underlying want or pressure driving me towards seeking more ways to be interactive outside my own internal system, and perhaps projecting same on perceived others... Except, Lucilyn clearly recognizes the invisible lurkers, who we assume are here out of interest and or participating in their own systems, and even silently participating is still participating... Phew, my head hurts. I am not even sure where I am going with this.

It is very likely that I am having difficulty processing and sharing my experiences and am looking for more ways to stay connected and participate, as communicating tulpa related concept is difficult in the real world. I nearly left forum after reaching a goal, but (internal conversations recommended staying) and so, here I am looking to engage, but not really wanting to jump in to every conversation. I am also looking for ways to read more, new material while tracking what I have already read, and or want to read again... and follow people that provoke me or resonate with me, to ensure continued growth and exploration of possibilities as opposed to stagnation, as if there is a real danger of returning to the mundane world the same way in a lucid dream one might lose awareness and return to the trance.

Well, since the chat is dying, and the site is against an official discord, the problem is not enough people are participating in the social part of the forum. (excepting progress reports, which are strict and formalised.) In order to encourage interaction there, those sections need to be restructured and expanded. But the powers that be on this site maintain there is not enough demand to warrant doing so.

Following is separate from liking and does not have the same problems. However, following needs to be integrated into a data feed type thing, and I don't think this site has one of those. You can follow individual threads. Though, I don't know where the buttons to do that are hidden.

The site can also add a status feed. It used to have a shout box, which is similar in design.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

I just click "View Today's Posts" constantly.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.