Hello There, Guest! Register

GAT Nominations, 2016 Edition
Sands Offline
And Roswell
Registered

Threads: 10

Default  GAT Nominations, 2016 Edition
GAT numbers have dropped again, so it's time for another nomination thread. Nominate folks, I'll write them down here, easy. Keep in mind that this is not a voting thread so nominating a person who already has been nominated does nothing. The voting thread will be made after the nomination phase is finished. You have until 11th of January to nominate a person.

A little bit about the voting process that will be done in another thread: each person who has been nominated in this thread will be able to voted on, either giving them +1 if you agree with the choice or -1 if you think they would be a poor fit. Anyone ending at 0 or negative points will not be eligible for GAT membership.

GAT? What?
GAT stands for Guide Approval Team. These people read guide submissions, rate them and sort them in the right category (guides, tips and tricks, resources). The team's job is to make sure that what gets approved is useful, up to standards and isn't basically a repeat of a guide that has already been approved. As a GAT member, you will be helping with easy things like typos and formatting, as well as developing guides with potential that aren't quite there yet. There's more information about the GAT here.

As the initial backlog of guides has been sorted, these days there aren't very many guides at a time to sort through, so it's not awfully time consuming. Sometimes you might have a lot to read through, and a swift response is preferred as then guide writers can get to rewriting quickly.

Who can I nominate?
Anyone! You can nominate yourself as well – and should, if you believe you would be a good addition. This is a free for all round where we try to get as many interested people as we can who will hopefully stick around. However, remember that every nomination needs a reason as to why they would make a good GAT member. Just a name is not enough and will be ignored. We're also only taking one person per body in, just to avoid situations where a single physical body could potentially make up an entire team.

A person who is nominated is, of course, not forced into it.

What qualities should a GAT member have?
A lot can be learned (and maybe only learned) by just doing it, so even if you think you (or your nominee) might lack something, it's up to you to decide if it's something you can learn eventually. Here's some pretty important things.
  • Don't disappear and actually do your work/mention if you have to leave for a while/permanently. Basically, actually have time for this
  • Write and understand English
  • Ability to give constructive criticism
  • Critical thinking. You want to be able to see the problems and consider what a newcomer might think of the written piece, for example
  • Occasionally someone will snap at you due to you not always saying positive things. Be prepared for that
  • Have experience and knowledge of tulpas

I'm a nobody but I'd make a great GAT member! How can I make people see this so I actually have a chance to be picked?
Good question! Luckily, everyone can write comments on guides and submissions, even if not on GAT – though only their votes actually count as to whether or not a guide is approved or disapproved. It is a good idea to write something on one of the submissions (found here) to show us you're serious and what kind of skills you have. Reading past GAT commentary could also help you get a better idea of what is expected, though your personal opinion is valued more than just trying to "fit in". Good luck.

PS. Old inactive GAT members are free to just start rating guides without having to get through the voting process. If you haven't officially left then you're just "inactive" rather than kicked out.

Nominees:

Evil
FallFamily
jean-luc
Lacquer
Luminesce (opted out)
NoneFromHell
Raetin (opted out)
Sock
Vosaiu
Yuki

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2016, 06:04 PM by waffles.)
01-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Find Reply
Yuki Offline
Tulpa.info's mom
Registered

Threads: 16

RE: GAT Nominations, 2016 Edition
I'd nominate Vosaiu, for having plenty experience with the advanced topics, as well as being a decent writer, from what I've seen.

And I'd be up for helping out myself. I have some experience with most topics, but nothing too advanced in the switching/imposition departments, but I can proof read texts and think about what is good for newbies to learn.

Feel free to ask me anything.
Suffering is self-imposed. Don't let it control you.
01-04-2016, 12:23 PM
Find Reply
Evil Away
雷 雷 雷 雷

My opinion holds close to no weight, but I feel like this needs to be said.

As someone who lurked this forum plenty, I believe that the member Luminesce would make for a good member. I do not know the member nor do I hold much sympathy for them, let alone anyone, as I look at everyone in a more or less equal perspective without favoritism. Luminesce would be a great GAT member, he has knowledge in many fields, always has something to say from what I've seen, and seems to genuinely care.

You see, it is quite pleasant to find people who do care. Because once someone starts caring, and prioritizing the benefit of members instead of his own, or his image at that, it makes them take things more seriously. Regulate in a more serious manner than ever before, than being a normal member who gives his opinion around, as anyone can do that.

I recall that Linkzelda mentioned that Luminesce would be a good addition to the GAT team. I feel like he's the ideal choice because of many factors:

-His impartiality; I have never noticed any bias in the way he gave out his opinion regarding guides and whatnot. This is outside of forum drama, of course, and everyone seems to hold a position in that, we're speaking of stuff that happened with Mistgod/David and his thoughtform.
-His sense of rationality. I always enjoyed reading his posts. Not in a way that I saw someone I 'liked' post, but in a way that it helped me understand my mind, and my tulpas as well, more than before.
-The many, many perspectives he can provide, due to the number of tulpas he has, that all seem to be able to provide constructive advice.
-His activity; the member is quite active and posts frequently.
-His status; an established member of the community people look up to, who takes active part in all things.

This is just, like, my opinion, though. Do as you see fit.
01-04-2016, 12:46 PM
Find Reply
Luminesce Offline
loves the moon
Registered

All Accounts Posts: 2,397

Awwww, that's the most in-depth and flattering thing anyone's ever written about me. You have my absolute sincerest of thanks, and it's really nice to know people think of me that way.

Unfortunately, Linkzelda did suggest I join the GAT, rather directly. But I can't judge others' work. I'm way too lenient and hugbox-y in a "you did your best" kind of way, which is the opposite sentiment the GAT is looking for. Sometimes I have a comment or two to add on guide submissions, but the other GAT members say everything I would've said and more as far as critique and advice goes. And half the time I'm literally trying to make sure the GAT doesn't offend/scare away the guide maker(which has happened), and I don't need to be GAT to do that. Also, I don't have the heart to vote against a guide I don't think is up to par but someone tried hard to write. Don't worry, I'll keep doing my part wherever I see need for what I have to offer, which could include in the guides section, but I'm gonna have to un-nominate myself. Your post was very encouraging though, it's been a long time since someone told me what I did helped them.

For the sake of having someone besides herself nominate her, I'll nominate Yuki. Of all the drama you guys consider relevant to her position in the Staff, I think the GAT is the absolute safest and biggest no-brainer for her. And to be honest, the coarseness people usually complain about with her is welcomed in open arms by the GAT, as long as it's constructive, which it always is.

Honestly, I nominate myself for GAT Hugboxer, to keep you guys from scaring off the few people who do occasionally write guides. I mean, I know there are literal cases like Cinemaphobe who leave because of criticism, but I've seen people that are still around like Glitch who have no motivation to submit things anymore, due to their previous reception. I can try and make sure no one's left with a bad taste in their mouth, I guess. I sort of already do that but I'll make a more concentrated effort now.

Edit: I was gonna PM you, Evil, but you've got PMs disabled. Just want to make sure you aren't discouraged from me un-nominating myself; your post was much more important to me than whether or not I'm on the GAT. People like you are why I'm still here after all this time. Thank you.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.
Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.
My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2016, 04:11 PM by Luminesce.)
01-04-2016, 04:04 PM
Find Reply
Sands Offline
And Roswell
Registered

A second nomination does nothing and we don't frown upon someone nominating themselves.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)
01-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Find Reply
Vos Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderators

Threads: 15

I'm going to nominate NoneFromHell. They're one of the only users I think would fit the job due to how knowledgeable and reliable they seem to be. And they're extremely active. Like, jeez.

I'm editing this before Sands peeks in to see this. Since there's no limit to how many people you can nominate, I'm going to add Raetin to my list. They've been contributing to a few threads with decent quality posts and I'd say that they know what they're talking about. It would be nice to have them on the GAT.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2016, 05:10 PM by Vos.)
01-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Find Reply
Evil Away
雷 雷 雷 雷

I hope this still counts as well, but I would also be for nominating NoneFromHell. I mean, I adhere with Vos's arguments, so in a way, I'm for NoneFromHell in GAT.

EDIT: I suppose it doesn't count for much after further consideration. But, my vote still goes to None regardless.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2016, 05:04 PM by Evil.)
01-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Find Reply
Luminesce Offline
loves the moon
Registered

All Accounts Posts: 2,397

TBH I knew that, Sands, just didn't want it to look like Yuki was the only one that thought she should be on the GAT, but now that Evil re-nom'd someone too you won't believe me RIP

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.
Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.
My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.
01-04-2016, 05:01 PM
Find Reply
Sands Offline
And Roswell
Registered

Yes, please don't nominate someone for a second time. It does not count as a vote, so save your votes and comments for the voting thread which will be created after this thread has run its course.

01-04-2016, 10:29 PM
Find Reply
Raetin Offline
& Tulpas
Registered

Threads: 7

(01-04-2016, 04:46 PM)Vosaiu Wrote: I'm editing this before Sands peeks in to see this. Since there's no limit to how many people you can nominate, I'm going to add Raetin to my list. They've been contributing to a few threads with decent quality posts and I'd say that they know what they're talking about. It would be nice to have them on the GAT.

Wow, I never thought someone would nominate me for the GAT. Unfortunately, for what the GAT does, I don't think I'll be able to add much in terms of critique. I might be able to look for spelling and grammar, but determining quality of a guide isn't something I can do very well. Personally, I think I would do better in moderating, but that's something else entirely. I'll have to opt out as well. I'm flattered you'd think I'd fit in the team though, thank you Vosaiu.

I have 10 tulpas, but I'm only actively working on Reah, my first tulpa currently.
Progress Report
01-04-2016, 11:32 PM
Find Reply