Stanford Tulpa Study looking for more participants
(if you're chosen they'll pay for travel and lodging!)

[General] Longbow's Tulpamancy Guide
Thank you Indigo and Apollo. I appreciate the open, honest criticism. I'd like to respond to some of the points you both made, but I think I'll wait until the rest of the GAT members respond. That way if there's a common trend in the criticisms I can address them in one go.

Also, I have fixed the two typos you have found in the transcripts. Nothing else with the guide was changed, of course.

Sponsors:
Lolflash - click it, you know you want to

The majority of this guide is fluff/rambling or irrelevant to tulpa creation. You repeat yourself frequently and it gets tiring to read or hear the same thing over and over. You’re not doing the reader/viewer any favors with that.

Your introduction is mostly anecdotal and really serves no purpose. The overview seemed promising since you said it would be about the structure of the guide, but like most of the guide, it’s rambly and doesn’t get to the point until the very end.

The aim of the guide is creation, but most of what’s talked about throughout the guide is optional. Section 1 seems entirely pointless on its own. It talks about how to relax. Section 2 is about single minded meditation, which can be useful for visualization, but is not required for creating a tulpa. I would have combined these sections.

Section 3 and 4 focus on Visualization, with the former focusing on the visual aspect, and the latter focusing on the auditory part. These two sections look more like a separate guide, though like the rest of the guide, they are mostly fluff. Something that stuck out for me was your claim that a tulpa’s form and mindvoice forms their identity. While some tulpas consider their forms to be part of their identity, it’s not inherently linked to them as forms can and often do change. Moreover, making their identity focused on how they look and sound will affect the way they act if that’s all that’s emphasized. They’ll be overly concerned with how they look and how they are perceived. What’s important with identity is not the external presentation, but how you feel you are, how you see the world.

Section 5 and 6 are focused on wonderlands, which again, aren’t required for tulpa creation. What’s worrying is your emphasis on the lives of tulpas inside a wonderland. Restricting them to just a wonderland will only allow them to grow so much. Not only will they have limited experiences, but they will be cut off from the rest of the world. Tulpas are more than just imaginary beings. We’re people and these sections reinforce the idea that we aren’t.

And when you finally do get to the crux of the guide, tulpa creation, you say that your tulpa is already there. That’s not how this works! Worse, you refer back to the beginning of this guide when you ask the reader/viewer to imagine a person real or fictional and say that person is your tulpa. That’s terrible advice. You also mention that you “must pay attention to the subtle mental noise you usually ignore”. So basically stray thoughts and the idea of an existing person or character. That’s a recipe for disaster, especially if you’re prone to intrusive thoughts. A tulpa is their own person and shouldn’t be made to believe that they are someone else plus random noise.

In short, this guide is mostly fluff, full of bad advice, and reinforces misconceptions of tulpas. I can’t approve this guide, there’s very little in it that’s useful. Guide rejected.

-Hector
well we're back to the Submissions board making me feel bad again
sorry Longbow, standards are really high these days (but I guess they always were considering criticisms like this were always common)
Hi I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.
All of my posts should be read at a hundred miles per hour because that's probably how they were written
Please talk to me https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas
Here is my review broken down into sections

Introduction
Quote:If you don't know what a tulpa is, then please go do some research on your own before you continue to listen to this guide. I won't cover that part here.

I think that a brief description of what a Tulpa is would’ve added a lot of quality here for little cost, even if you didn’t go into much detail. I do like that you asked the listener to do some research on their own though as I think that it’s important to get information from multiple sources.

Quote:Instead, please allow me to tell you a bit about myself.

Usually I don’t like personal anecdotes in guides, however this one seems to have a place for some reason, possibly because this is just an introduction.

Quote:Getting there wasn't easy though. It took a lot of time and a lot of figuring out on my own. This is the same thing you will have to do, if you truly want to have a tulpa of your own. I want to help you as much as I can, but I'm not going to lie to you either. This path is not an easy one.

This isn’t strictly true. Like a lot of things, it’s only difficult if you don’t know how or if you don’t put in the effort. If a newcomer who uses this guide has fast and easy results but believes the process to be difficult, they will probably encounter doubts about their progress, or believe that they’re parroting / puppeting. The belief that the process of creating a tulpa is difficult is detrimental because it’s really not.

Quote:The relationship between a tulpa and a human is an interesting one.

I really hope that this was a slip of the tongue. There is no distinction between tulpas and humans, even if the tulpa has a non-human form.

Overview
Quote:Their consciousness is what makes them a person instead of a posable doll. Even more so, a tulpa must have a developed consciousness if they are to make a meaningful impact on your life.  Their independent consciousness is what makes them feel like they're really there, not just how well you can see or hear them. This is why it is the goal the entire guide is centered around.

It is debateable whether tulpas have their own consciousnesses or share the hosts. I think the word you were looking for here was ‘ego’.

Quote:However, my guide is not so literal with the idea of tulpa creation. I do not focus on "tulpaforcing" as a method of forcing a tulpa into existence in your mental space. Instead, I prefer to use a more natural approach that allows a tulpa to form mostly on its own. The details of this will be covered later.

Tulpas cannot form on their own, they require forcing. If this is what your guide is going to be about then I can already say with confidence that it is going to be a terrible guide, however I’ll give it a chance in case you surprise me.

Quote:The first two sections are focused on getting accustomed to mental practices and learning meditation. These are the first steps that are necessary to take before we get into more advanced topics.

Meditation is not necessary to create a tulpa at all. In my opinion it does help with some of the other non-essential steps like visualisation, but it’s definitely not necessary.

Quote:The seventh section is the crux of the journey. It is about getting into a mindset where new consciousness entities will naturally form inside an immersive wonderland.

I am incredibly sceptical of this.

Quote:Once there, interactions and responses are used to test these entities for sustained conscious behavior. When one is found then it can be safely determined to be a fledgling consciousness which I refer to as a "proto-tulpa." The eighth section is about developing the proto-tulpa into a fully formed tulpa.

Oh no, this already seems like it’s going to be a recipe for disaster. This isn’t how this works. These ‘consciousnesses’ you are describing are not proto-tulpas, nor are they even consciousnesses. Intrusive thoughts, characters, and imaginary friends can all exhibit ‘conscious behaviour’ despite not being sentient. This is going to reinforce the potentially dangerous belief that any intrusive thought, character, or imaginary friend that pops up is a sentient being from the get-go.

Quote:At the end of the eighth section, the tulpa will demonstrate a level of consciousness that is similar to a normal human being.

You made a distinction between tulpas and humans in your introduction and I said that I hoped it was a slip of the tongue, it looks like this wasn’t the case. In my review of your introduction I said that including a brief description of what a tulpa is would add quality to the guide. I take that back because it seems that you don’t know the answer to that yourself. You made a distinction between tulpas and humans when there is none. Tulpas created by humans are humans, even if they have non-human forms. To class tulpas that were created by humans as non-human would imply that they are something external to us, metaphysical perhaps. We need to get away from this line of thinking.

Section 1: Sitting with your Thoughts
I really don’t see the point in this section or any of the exercises. This isn’t necessary like you mentioned in your overview, and it isn’t even a prerequisite for meditation either. I would scrap this entire section.

Section 2: Meditation
There is a lot of unnecessary fluff at the beginning of this section that would’ve been better left out.

Quote:This goal is to simply achieve a state of mind where you can focus solely on one simple thing, or to have your mind be clear of all thoughts entirely.

The mind doesn’t work like this. It’s not possible to have your mind be clear of all thoughts entirely. Meditation giving people still minds is a bad meme.

Quote:Yet this guide is only intended for essential skills for tulpamancy and so we will not cover them here.

Meditation is not essential for tulpamancy either, so according to your own logic you can remove this entire section as well as the previous one.

Quote:The goal of this section is to achieve a meditative state where your mind is calm and clear of thoughts, or solely focused on one simple thing for 10 minutes straight.

You are setting the listener an impossible task. If the listener is required to achieve this before carrying on with the rest of the guide (since you’ve said that it’s essential to the process) I guarantee they will quit.

Section 3: Visualisation
Quote:This is arguably one of the most integral aspects of tulpamancy

This is wrong. You can make a tulpa without visualising them at all or even using a wonderland for that matter. I would highly recommend visualising them, but to say that it is in any way integral is false. I have met tulpamancers with aphantasia who are literally unable to visualise their tulpas.

Quote:Visualization is like giving an idea to the subconscious mind and letting it run with it.

This makes no sense. Visualisation is a conscious process.

Quote:Surprisingly, this is one of the rare things humans get worse at as they get older.

Citation needed.

On a positive note, I thought that the exercises in this section were quite useful, despite not being necessary.

Section 4: Auralisation
Quote:In this section, we will cover the second most important sense: hearing.

I would argue that this is the most important sense when interacting with a tulpa, unless you are deaf and your tulpa only speaks to you in sign language.

Quote:Just as with mental images, mental sounds come from unconscious processes that are guided by our intentions.

No, imagination is a conscious process.

Quote:Think back to the example I gave for visualizing an apple. When a person does this, they don't think about all of the ideas and memories they have associated with apples. In just the same way, a person does not think about a pop song and what it means to them to get it stuck in their head. They don't think about what instruments are playing, the beats per minute or the compositional structure of the song. The music simply starts playing, either by random or by subtle cues from the thoughts the person is having.

That’s because they don’t need to, everything else apart from the appearance of the apple or the sound of the song is irrelevant.

Quote:The exercises for this section focus on imagining sounds and hearing them clearly.  These exercises should be repeated to help build up your skills in auralization.

Meh, while this may be useful on its own, hearing a tulpa speak isn’t so much about the host being able to hear them, it’s just about letting the tulpa speak.

And on the exercises, they are a waste of time. Why practise imagining these random noises when you could just practise imagining your tulpa’s voice?

Section 5: Wonderland Scenes
Quote:Yet you might be thinking to yourself, “why do I need a wonderland at all? How does this help me develop a tulpa?” The honest truth is that you don't explicitly need one. 

I agree with you here, we never use wonderlands and I even found them to be a hindrance when creating my tulpa. However, this seems to be a major contradiction as in the overview you said that the crux of your guide is “about getting into a mindset where new consciousness entities will naturally form inside an immersive wonderland.” It seems that according to your overview, the wonderland is fundamental to the process.

Quote:First off, it's a common misconception that you can merely just use your physical surroundings as the place your tulpa will inhabit from the get-go. Many assume that they can simply “overlay” their tulpa onto their bedroom, living room, or wherever they are. This is possible, yet it's anything but simple.

False. I would argue that overlay is simpler because you don’t get the glitching which plagues some people who struggle with wonderlands. Furthermore, open eyed visualisation isn't any harder than closed eyed (in my opinion).

Quote:Unless you are sufficiently advanced with your visualization and auralization you can't just jump into full imposition.

Overlaying is not the same as imposition, nor do you have to be any good at visualisation to overlay. If you can visualise with your eyes closed you can do it with them open, and vice-versa.

Quote:Third, the wonderland gives a tulpa somewhere to be when their host is busy.

This is also false. Tulpas go dormant / inactive when they are not being paid attention to.

Quote:So, if none of those reasons strike a chord with you, then you may want to re-examine why you're creating a tulpa, or perhaps just consider using a different guide.

We don’t make tulpas because we want to make wonderlands, also none of those reasons really struck a chord with me but it doesn’t matter because we don’t use wonderlands anyway.

Section 6: Immersive Wonderlands
This entire section would be better if the fluff was removed and condensed down to a paragraph or two, then added to the end of the previous section. I think having two sections on wonderlands is redundant.

Section 7: Finding a Proto-Tulpa
Quote:after all of the time you have invested, you are finally ready to begin the real task you set out to do from the very beginning.

You make it sound like the listener wasn’t ready before starting this guide, and you make it sound like only meditation experts with strong visualisation skills can create tulpas. I’ve said this all throughout this review and now I’m going to repeat myself, none of the previous sections were necessary to start the tulpa creation process.

Quote:No more steps, no exercises, no long paragraphs explaining how a particular mental skill works. All of the sections building up to this point have been to get you here. To help you realize this simple truth. Here it is:
Your tulpa is already there, inside your mind. If you want them to be there you will find them.
That's it. I'll say it again.
Your tulpa is already there, inside your mind. If you want them to be there you will find them.

I feel like I’ve been scammed. I’ve invested almost 2 hours of my time into listening to mostly fluff and unnecessary exercises, to be told that my tulpa is already there. This single sentence is enough for me to disapprove this guide. It became apparent from the beginning that you don’t know what a tulpa is when you distinguished between tulpas and humans, but this takes that lack of understanding to the next level. Honestly, this is really, really bad.

Quote:To let them in, all you must do is look for signs that a fledgling consciousness is trying to form in your wonderland. In other words, you must pay attention to the subtle mental noise you usually ignore and probe your mind for a response from a proto-tulpa.

Extremely bad advice. In my review of your overview I said regarding this section “Oh no, this already seems like it’s going to be a recipe for disaster. This isn’t how this works. These ‘consciousnesses’ you are describing are not proto-tulpas, nor are they even consciousnesses. Intrusive thoughts, characters, and imaginary friends can all exhibit ‘conscious behaviour’ despite not being sentient. This is going to reinforce the potentially dangerous belief that any intrusive thought, character, or imaginary friend that pops up is a sentient being from the get-go.” This guide isn’t just going to reinforce that belief, it is actually encouraging the act of treating them like such.

Quote:A proto-tulpa is a term I use for a newly budding consciousness that's just beginning to take form

‘Proto-tulpas’ don’t just take form on their own, they require forcing to do so, something which you haven’t mentioned once in this guide apart from in your overview when you said “my guide is not so literal with the idea of tulpa creation. I do not focus on "tulpaforcing" as a method of forcing a tulpa into existence in your mental space. Instead, I prefer to use a more natural approach that allows a tulpa to form mostly on its own.” I already told you my thoughts on this in my review of your overview.

Section 8: Tulpa Development
There is actually some good advice in this section, despite being extremely long-winded. The information here could’ve been explained in about five minutes instead of half an hour.

Summary
This guide describes an extremely inefficient and inadvisable way to create a tulpa from an intrusive thought. Most of the sections are unnecessary as are most of the exercises. There is far too much fluff and rambling that should’ve been left out, and out of the remainder of the guide that was actual information the vast majority of it was either very bad or completely false. The guide seemed metaphysical in places, even making a distinction between tulpas and humans. It claims that tulpas can form on their own without forcing and doesn’t mention any forcing methods at all until the very last section after the tulpa is supposed to have been already created, or should I say, ‘found’. The guide is very long at 2 and a half hours in total, and when it gets to the crux of it, it says “Your tulpa is already there”, despite there being no forcing whatsoever, not even any creation of a form or personality at all, none. Due to the critical issues I have with this guide I must disapprove it, and I would advise all newcomers to avoid it. I cannot recommend any improvements that would allow me to approve it because I believe the methodology in the guide is fundamentally flawed, therefore this guide is unsalvageable.

I'm really sorry Longbow, I can see that you put a lot of effort into making this.