Last person to post with a sentence longer than the previous poster WINS!

Douglas

You all will hate me for this. 

I needed a new way of wasting my time, and I came up with this idea.  It's likely that we'll eventually be spending hours per post.  I really am sorry for sucking you into this trap.

Let's begin!

Here are some rules to prevent cheating and help counter some common loopholes, I may update this if I forget something.

1. Last poster is the winner

2. You can type whatever you want, but only one sentence counts, and it must be in quotation marks.  That sentence must have more words (not letters) than the previous sentence with quotation marks.

3. You may only have one sentence with quotation marks per post.

4. You may not make multiple posts in a row.

5. If anybody breaks any of these rules in their post, pretend it does not exist.

6. Not every post you make must have a sentence with quotation marks, but your post does not count if it does not have any.

7. No editing of words in quotation marks after they were posted, unless you are editing a typo, and you can do it without changing the number of words.

8. No repetition of any word more than five times in a row (so people don't say 'I am very very very very very very very very very very etc.').

9. No copy/paste, you must type out every word.

10. No looparound sentences, the sentence should not repeat what it said previously multiple times.

11. Remember; spirit of the law, not letter of the law (especially with rule 10)!

12. Your sentence in quotes does not have to be a response to the previous post, but it'll be pretty cool if it is.  :cool:

I'm hoping I didn't forget anything...

"How are you doing today?"

Don't you dare start off with an immensely long post.  Yes, I know you will, I just thought I may as well ask.

EDIT: 13. Contractions are one word.

Hmm...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Heehee, I see what you did there Nachtrabe, with those quotation marks."

...wait, were those sarcasm quotes intentional?

Hmm...

"If you've ever watched The LEGO Movie, and you remember the scene with Bad Cop where he makes quotation marks with his claw hands (meaning he doesn't believe you), then you'll understand."

Uh oh, things just got a lot longer. =)

Hmm...

"I'm slowly getting the feeling that keeping track of the number of words the sentence of the person before you had is going to be more difficult than coming up with a sentence longer than that."

36 words (I think)

Also, I propose that contractions (such as "I'm", or "we'll") count as one word, not as two, for simplicity's sake. May not necessarily be accurate, but I study linguistics and believe me, you DON'T want to start arguing about the definition of "word".

How about we just go by actual length using the default font and all that? Way simpler than counting words. You could just write sentences with super short words and it wouldn't look longer at all. And that would make the thread end with "he she we I me" sorts of minimization rather than actual size of the sentence.

"Are all of you aware that there is actually a limit to the size your posts can be, and that eventually someone is going to hit it, at which point they will be declared the winner and the thread will be over?"

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

"You can use Microsoft Word (or Libre Office Writer if you are an awesome Linux user like me) to check the word count of posts, and I agree that contractions should be counted as one word, that was the intent; also, I was not aware of the post size limit, and that is kind of concerning."

I apologize, I'm too lazy to check the word count of the previous post, so I'm posting sentences that I'm certain are longer than the previous.

Hmm...

"Great, now I need a way to get more than fifty five words in a single, long, coherent string of letters, how am I going to do that, you ask, then you get a reply that fifty six minus forty minus some other number equaling the answer to the reply you get word count, oh look, this is losing coherency, or sense, is it possible for a sentence to lose sense and still be a sentence, or is it then a tense?"