Lumi's Dreaming Thread; Dreams of Moon
Congratulations!

Sponsors:
Lolflash - click it, you know you want to

Well this is exciting, isn't it? I'm about to go meditate and then go directly to sleep (I'm even a little tired, this time). We're about to find out if it was a fluke or actually a reproducible method of causing very vivid dreams consistently. Do you know all the things that enables me to do? I know I've called myself a lucid dreaming expert plenty and then all you see is failure, but I feel like I could write a book on all the things you can do just surrounding lucid dreaming, before necessarily getting into the actual content.

What comes to mind is dream pre-programming, a sort of loophole (or a supplement to lucid dreaming if you're real fancy) to dream about what you want, by falling asleep after thinking about and visualizing it. For various reasons that's never worked for me, namely my inability to have vivid and recallable dreams like ever, and my difficulty in falling asleep for WBTB that would never allow for such a thing. Well, if tonight goes well maybe I'll try it tomorrow.
Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.
Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.
My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.
Actually, in the true style of this thread/my lucid dreaming attempts, it was neither a success nor an obvious failure. Sleeping was just hard/weird last night. I did 45 or so minutes of meditation up until I was tired enough it was starting to impact my focus, and went to sleep. Perfect form I'd say. But I kept waking up at random points in the night (as I do, but) fairly awake, so I had trouble falling back asleep. Like, several times, it was annoying. And I think I slept solidly after 6-7AM until 10AM without waking up once, which is weird but also might have happened yesterday too. I appreciated it yesterday - the first 4 hours of sleep hardly felt like (mental) rest - but today I just find it weird and not a good thing. Like, that's how I always wake up on time without an alarm. Which I never have to do, but when I do, I rely on it. I WOULD say I still woke up on time today, except for the like third time in a row I've slept for 11 hours for no reason. Don't get me wrong, I like sleeping for 11 hours, but like, 10 will do. And when I've been sleeping as much as and going to bed as early as I have been, I shouldn't really be sleeping that long after.

Dunno, still gonna try it a few more times at least. At worst, the meditation stays just a meditation thing and not a lucid dreaming tool. I do wonder what the heck the difference between the successful (unknowing) and unsuccessful attempts were, though. The first time, I did it for longer, but the first 45 minutes weren't totally meditation so much as being focused inwards/mentally and thinking a bunch of different stuff, while the second 45 minutes were about the same as last night. Also, I was less tired the day before than I was last night. But like.. the state of being mentally aware enough to meditate and also tired enough to quickly fall asleep should be literally perfect (and often unachievable for us) for lucid/vivid dreams. So, weird.
My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.
Individual meditations are nice, though I also think a lot of benefit will perhaps come in time as your skill increases. Increasing meditative skill will eventually develop and then increase metacognitive introspective awareness, which when that is powerful, it kind of feels like being lucid in real life. Normal life without it feels much like a dream in comparison. Carrying a high baseline level of that brought from a while of meditation progress, I think would translate very beneficially to lucid dream attempts.
Same thing again more or less, I definitely woke up relatively awake some time around 3AM again, and maybe an hour or two later. Dreams weren't particularly vivid or recallable. They seemed the level of vivid I'd expect residually after having recently had vivid dreams, ie not very. Plus they were hard to recall and I didn't bother as I was trying to fall back asleep.

Still going to meditate for 45 minutes today, but not right before bed, just to make sure the sleep thing is related to the meditating and not how early I'm going to sleep/late I'm sleeping in.

And after getting that sorted out, the next day I plan to meditate for 90 minutes before bed again, to try and really recreate those vivid dreams.
Meditated for 40 minutes earlier in the day, went to sleep about an hour later than before.. Slept well, and also had pretty decent dreams. I don't quite remember them now, but I did. Decent quality. All I did before bed was talk to Tewi, imposed, for like 5-10 minutes, nothing crazy.

Oh, that means I have to do 90 minutes of meditation before bed today, huh? Well.. I guess we'll see if it works. I'll take having to re-fall asleep all over again and only get 6 or so hours of real sleep if it gets me 3-4 straight hours of vivid, practically lucid dreams.
(07-07-2019, 04:47 PM)Luminesce Wrote: Also, I'm going to sleep. Maybe letting someone else front tomorrow.. My general motivation for things is rather low right now and I feel like any of them can do better, plus Lucilyn and Tewi both have things to do

And so of course I wake up actually in a good mood. Literally just had a couple of somewhat vivid dreams that were vaguely positive (the longer one having been me playing Dark Souls but with a slightly shorter Scythe that was actually good when normally they're bad - the other, I was at a college that decided to play Shibayan Records music lol. Surprisingly accurate/vivid). Apparently that was enough to make me wake up feeling like I could do whatever.

Since I said there wasn't a way I could influence myself to have positive dreams, Reisen asked if vivid dreams could really be negative. They can, but even in most "bad" scenarios in a vivid dream, I actually just appreciate having experiences, so as long as it wasn't prolonged stressful stuff I'd appreciate basically any vivid dreams. And of course, if simply playing Dark Souls (with an actually usable Scythe type weapon) is enough to put me in a good mood, I'm bound to have some nice ones. If I can induce vivid dreams anyways. No repeated success so far, despite trying the meditation thing.