Schlondark on Narration

schlondark

Question

Schlondark on Narration

Or

“How do I keep talking?”

The advice given in the two most widely-used guides of tulpa.info are as follows:

Irish_:

In my wonderland, with my idea in mind, I made the idea of the tulpa into just a blue cloud and basically started narrating to it. I just kept talking to it and talking to it telling it anything I could. I told it about my day, stories, ideas.

Faq_man:

Okay, anyway go about your life. Talk to your tulpa while you're going about your business; say anything really. Some people begin narration right off, and that's fine. I wouldn't personally start until you're done with at least half of the creation steps. A common mistake made here is the parroting of responses. If you're telling your tulpa about how pretty your new shoes are, don't make them say anything back. You know you are done with this step when your tulpa says something back on its own. You'll know, because it will be completely alien.

Gat-edit note: Parroting can be a legitimate tool for developing a tulpa, but will not be dealt with in this writing outside of this quote.

The confusion around the issue of narration seems to stem from two separate issues:

1. What narration is.

a. Narration is talking to your tulpa as if it is another sentient mind that resides within your own.

2. How to sustain narration (How do I keep talking? I keep forgetting.)

a. This appears to be the main issue with narration that troubles members of our community; which I’m going to try to help alleviate.

Narration is believed to be critical in the development of a tulpa’s consciousness or speaking ability; as well as adding to the ‘your mind makes it real’ factor. These will both obviously come more easily if narration is kept on as constantly as possible.

Side Note: Don’t be afraid to ramble on you your tulpa about inane or trivial things; quantity seems to be more important than quality.

The primary method of reminding oneself to narrate is to draw something on one’s palm or to place something on one finger and to remember to narrate each and every time you see it until it becomes second nature or the tulpa speaks to you.

The method that I used to narrate might not be useful to everyone; but here it is:

Upon seeing the part of the guide that called for constant narration, I groaned to myself but decided to soldier on. After a quick bout with my inherent procrastination, I decided that this was not something that I was going to skimp on. After a few false starts, I finally got it correct by narrating everything possible whenever possible. I have retroactively named this process “Total conversion” meaning that I accepted it as a part of the tulpaforcing process and integrated it into my lifestyle. For those who are groaning like I was at the beginning – It really isn’t that bad. Just accept it as your duty for your tulpa friend that you are creating and do it with pride.

It might indeed be beneficial to talk out loud to your tulpa, but I did not feel the need to do so. If you are able to; I would recommend it as it is harder to confuse your parroted reply to a question with your tulpa’s.

For those not interested in my strategy or still unsure of what to do, I have a few more suggestions/thoughts that may be more appealing:

1. Force your tulpa a device that can relay narration to it such as a laptop, television, HUD, or other electronic device that would be able to do so. This would be beneficial to those who feel that they must keep their tulpa’s presence in focus at all times feel more secure in knowing that the tulpa will hear them even if their concentration lapses. (If you already have something like this that you use for sense-sharing; I would recommend modifying it for this purpose.)

2. For those who do not have a strong inner voice: read a book aloud or silently to them. It will be something that the tulpa will enjoy and something that will let you narrate to them with relative ease.

3. Don’t worry about feeling your tulpa’s presence during narration, they will hear you.

4. If the methods above still have not helped you, consider sending them external stimuli as narration. For example: If the words in a song you are listening to remind you of your tulpa in some way; sending it to them as it is as a special instance of sense-sharing. (This is particularly helpful in environments in which it is hard to narrate normally, such as the IRC.) The same could also be done for pictures or any other sensation or experience on another sense.

Parting thoughts: Narration may seem like an insurmountable obstacle, but it is an intrinsic part of creating a tulpa. Even though it may take a while, the reward is well worth the effort. If you approach it as something that you need and want to do in order to create your tulpa or to help it become vocal.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The consensus you discovered is very true; you must narrate to your tulpa every day until it becomes second nature. That is something I have become more used to lately, although sometimes it is admittedly hard to focus on her.

Day 290 (11/6/2013) Why even keep the time anymore?

Can the cryogenically frozen live again?

The first step in creating a tulpa is believing that it exists.

I could approve of this for Guides, but with the symbolism with instruction, it could also go into tips. But it does go into detail specifically for Narration to guide someone into getting into repetitive tasks (e.g. embracing that quantity can be just as much useful as quality, which is something I did extensively with image streaming in the past).

But I'll wait for more responses from GAT before making a final vote.

Yeah I'm juggling between tips and guide, I guess Schlondark could give us a hand in this matter, especially because it's written by him.

Also yeah I know you quoted FAQman there, but well, you know.

>A common mistake made here is the parroting of responses

That's a line that you might want to consider addressing in some way, even though you're not writing about a method that uses parroting. His line there would make people think that parroting just is no-go. I dunno, maybe you can mention that somewhere, seeing that you are quoting him.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Approved for tips and tricks.

"Assert the supremacy of your Imaginal acts over facts and put all things in subjection to them... Nothing can take it from but your failure to persist in imagining the ideal realized."

-Neville Goddard

Approved for Tips and Tricks (preferred), but if people really want it in Guides, it can also go there.

As for the contents itself, a few small things to nitpick:

a. Narration is talking to your tulpa as if it is another sentient mind that resides within your own.

Within or besides?

3. Don’t worry about feeling your tulpa’s presence during narration, they will hear you.

Sometimes it's much nicer to feel their presence/essence during it, especially as it can also make you hear them better when they respond or get various thoughts and emotions off them. That and giving the tulpa more attention should help with independence.

Most of the guide seems to have plenty of useful narration advice/tricks. Some of them do seem do seem to be presented in other guides too, but usually they're not presented strictly in the context of narration.

Also Sands,

As far as Dane (FAQ_Man)'s method which is purely personality/narration-based, parroting is a *mistake* there. Sure, it's useful for building initial behavior, and it can work as a method of its own (such as JD1215's or Fede's), but in guides like FAQ_Man's or Irish's, your goal is to make sure the tulpa responds on its own, thus I don't really think Dane got it wrong there - at least as far as his method is concerned - different methods may work differently. To put it simply, within Dane's method, narration helps the tulpa learn to think and act on their own and parroting while doing narration makes little to no sense - it can make sense for kickstarting or teaching purposes, but not while narrating.

>Schlondark on Narration

Or

“How do I keep talking?”

>The advice given in the two most widely-used guides of tulpa.info are as follows:

>A common mistake made here is the parroting of responses.

Your average newbie probably has no idea who this FAQman guy is or anything else that has happened in this community before they joined. I know you have this weird assumption that people know exactly what you know, Mayo, but right here some guy who is apparently important on .info called parroting a mistake. We all know that they're quotes, but Schlondark hasn't really addressed these opinions in any way, instead putting them there as if they speak for themselves. Saying that parroting is a mistake.

Sure, if you don't want to parrot at all, maybe it's a mistake of sorts then. Still not something that's an awful mistake that ruins everything, but the fact that parroting could be done isn't even mentioned here, but it does mention anti-parroting propaganda. Hell, you wouldn't have to mention parroting at all, but if you're going to mention one strong opinion heavily saying one thing that has been proven wrong (as far as actually making a tupper goes), you kinda have to mention the opposite side as well. Not doing that can hurt a newbie a lot, if they read this first and believe that parroting is the devil.

I could write a guide about "what is a tulpa" and then quote someone who says "tuppers aren't real, they're only crazy ronery people disorders". If I didn't address that at all, even throw in a helpful little "that's this guy's opinion and we don't really know if he's right or not", do you think that would be good? The same thing is sorta happening here. It can easily be brushed aside with few words, but not doing it could hinder someone's process.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Sands makes a good point. I've never seen anyone call it anti-parroting propaganda before but I agree with his point.

I'd like to hear from Schlondark on this.