Possibly Writing a Book! Help with questions please!

Sake Loup

Ok so I apologize in advance if this is it the wrong topic, I had no idea where to put it.

Just move the thread and let me know for next time if it is. ^^;

Anyway! I want to write a book, or at the least, a personal article.

Now, this is not going to be an informational book, or a guide, or anything like that, and most likely won't contain very many, if any at all, scientific subjects or references. I'm not writing a book about tulpas or plurality in general.

I want to write a book about me and Alex, personally, sort of a 'what and who we are and how we work' type thing, you know? Basically, I just want to share our experience and tell people about us, let people know we exist, explain things about ourselves.

The main purpose I want to do this is because I want to share Alex, I want to people to know about him. However, I also have another big reason, and that's so that people who may have an 'Alex ' of their own might see this book or article and be able to identify with it, to feel better about themselves, and to maybe feel less alone, crazy, or scared. Maybe they'll feel better hearing someone else's story, and have more confidence in themselves seeing that someone else isn't afraid to share it. I know I was lost before I found this community, I had no idea what Alex was or what to call him, and imaginary friend never felt right, honestly it hurt me to think of him like that anyway because I could feel he was much more. So yeah, while I really wanna talk about Alex as a whole, and about our life together, and how he affects my life, I also really want to help others like myself by giving them something to relate to.

So! I have a few ideas for what I want t talk about, but I could really use help from all of you! :3

I want to know:

What do you think would be useful for me to include in this book?

What questions would you like to see answered?

What do you think others would be most curious to know?

Should I include discussing the fact that Alex is also my mate? If so, what sort of things should I talk about, what questions should I answer about that?

Anything else you can think of to ask/tell me!

And seriously, ask piles and piles of questions, or give me paragraphs of advice, the more the better!

I'll start a little 'table of content' here if you will, just something to keep track of what people have asked or mentioned already, or that I've already thought of.

Table of Contents:

Origins.

1. How did this all start?

2. Where did Alex come from?

Life with Alex.

1. How does Alex affect your daily life?

2. Do you ever have problems with Alex?

3. What would it be like without Alex?

4. How does Alex affect your relationship with others?

5. Is it ever hard on you?

What Alex is like.

1. What's Alex's personality like?

2. Is Alex human?

3. Does Alex have his own likes, dislikes, and hobbies?

4. What kind of things does he do?

How Alex works.

1. How does Alex communicate?

2. Does Alex eat/sleep?

3. Do you and Alex feel the same emotions?

Other/Unsorted.

1. Do you have a disorder?

2. What makes you think Alex is real?

3. How is Alex different from you?

4. Is it creepy sharing a brain with someone else?

5. Is it boring because he can't do physical things?

Hmm.. that's all that comes to mind right now, so go ahead and toss in your two cents~! ^^

Soulbonder: Sake (rhymes with cake) - 21 - Genderfluid (he/him or she/her)

Soulbond: Alex - 5 - Male (he/him) - Vampire

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a similiar topic some time ago. (I think someone wanted to create a childbook/ fantasy novel).

Generally you seem to have a well thought out starting point with this, but still you need to realize the possible effects of writing a book like this, especially the negative ones. There is quite the possibility that people, very young ones aswell, may jump right into the topic without realizing what they're dealing with; making fast and stupid decisions which affect their whole life. (Because it sounds cool) It should be clear that this is not a game to play around with. You should try to provide an all around summary of the picture, and not just the bright side you're expecting right now.

Personally I think the best idea would be to not write a book at all, because drawing unnecessary big attentions to the subject feels rather like a bad idea to start with.

Edit: Of course this is your call to make. I just want to provide my concerns regarding your idea.

Tulpa: Alice

Form: Realistic Humanoid/Demonic Creation

She may or may not talk here, depends on her.

@NoneFromHell

First of all, thank you for your concern! C:

Um, I wouldn't compare what I want to do here to writing a child's fantasy, seeing as how I will be writing about myself and my partner and real life situations and events. So I'm not sure why that would be a similar topic? o3o sorry, that opening just confused me.

I do realize that there may be negative effects against me personally as I'm sure most of the world might regard me as insane. I don't really see how it might cause younger people to jump into this sort of thing though, for one, I think I forgot to mention oops my bad, but Alex isn't a tulpa, he's a soulbond (i just said I wasn't writing about tulpas in general since thats the 'popular' thoughtform and I kind of used it to just refer to thoughtforms in general, sorry for not clarifying. Anyway, since he isn't a tulpa, I didn't intentionally make him, so I won't be talking too much about the purposeful construction of a being. Also I don't think you can just make a tulpa from thin air in a single day right? People would have to reasearch and see for themselves how seriously the topic of making a tulpa is. So I don't think that would influence anyone, though I suppose it's possible.

I do intend to talk about the negative aspects of having Alex too though, like how it makes social interaction hard, and how sometimes our feelings conflict and we fight just like any other friends and it takes real care and responsibility to work things out. However as a whole, I wouldn't say Alex has really deeply negatively affected any part of my life, so for me, personally, there's no reason to spend a huge part of the book lecturing anyone about all that can go wrong.

Unnecessary attention? How so? Please bear in mind I mean no offense in saying this, however this comment of yours concerns me. To me, this is like saying 'it's a bad idea to draw attention to the subject of being gay' when in fact it's really a bad idea not to talk about it. True, we may face hard times trying to talk about being gay as it still is largely unaccepted, but it will never be accepted or treated with respect unless we openly talk about it and purposefully make people aware of the situation.

Again though, thank you for your concern! I'm happy you care enough to warn me of possible dangers~

Yes that is a horrible idea. No one would ever do that. And certainly nobody would make a sequel /s

Personally I think the idea of dangerous knowledge is rediculous (except in the case of nuclear launch codes). It's not your responsibility to protect people from themselves. Drawing "big attentions" is a great idea, and you're just getting started!

In regards to your questions, you've already thought of all the things that came off the top of my head. I'll let you know if anything else comes to mind.

Unnecessary attention? How so?

Some people seem to think that new members of tulpa.info and/or more people making tulpas is a bad thing. I completely disagree.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

Unnecessary attention? How so? Please bear in mind I mean no offense in saying this, however this comment of yours concerns me. To me, this is like saying 'it's a bad idea to draw attention to the subject of being gay' when in fact it's really a bad idea not to talk about it. True, we may face hard times trying to talk about being gay as it still is largely unaccepted, but it will never be accepted or treated with respect unless we openly talk about it and purposefully make people aware of the situation.

Can I just say, this paragraph probably just made my week. I've said similar about another topic and that community is content to shoot me down and continue trying to eek by in obscurity. Its so frustrating.

I've already given a lengthy-ish response to this in .io so I won't type it all out again. (and I'm too lazy to copy paste. Shush. XP)

Spark Notes version for the .info people: my suggestion was to do a blog format instead of a book. Easier to update and allows for more specific reader feedback.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

@NoneFromHell

First of all, thank you for your concern! C:

Um, I wouldn't compare what I want to do here to writing a child's fantasy, seeing as how I will be writing about myself and my partner and real life situations and events. So I'm not sure why that would be a similar topic? o3o sorry, that opening just confused me.

Okay, probably I need to clarify a bit. Of course you're not writing a child's fantasy, but you're still gonna write a book regarding the subject of tulpamancy (or soulbonding in your case). As I stated, you have a way better starting point with your idea of the book. So I'm less concerned for that matter.

About the unnessary attention: Well this is something which seems to need clarification aswell. There is nothing wrong with the general idea of providing information, but if you draw huge amounts of attention to a certain topic like this, you risk to water down the very idea of it.

Let me explain further. If you write a book which sparks the interest of the masses, more media will start to look into it. And media folks are way to often lazy attention seekers. There is a high chance that they will start to public wrong and very wild speculations about the topic, pulling it further from its roots. (Because more money.) This finally results in a lot of new people getting in touch with the topic while having a very wrong idea about it, flooding the existing communities. A lot of people don't feel like doing research, which is a bad thing.The veterans may get annoyed by the "new wave" of watered down tulpas/soulbounds and leave for good.

Of course this is some worst case scenario, but it still is something to have in mind. For a while we had a lot of newcomers with a distorted mindset about the topic. They pretty much tried to skip everything essential and aimed for instant results. Often enough they didn't reflect about their situation or progress, and started to act like they have crazy developed day 1 tulpas, while they mainly just had simple and very basic daydreams about having them. They "played" without realizing. Personally I don't like a development like this, because the real deal gets lost with folks like this. So I am not a fan of drawing big attention to it. Welp, and of course there is also the possibility of people fucking up their life with something they can't handle, because they made a careless decision regarding something cool.

On the other hand I want to point out that I'm very happy of the development of people like draikana and the other more recent folks around here. It feels like the community is heading in the right direction again.

Edit:

True, we may face hard times trying to talk about being gay as it still is largely unaccepted, but it will never be accepted or treated with respect unless we openly talk about it and purposefully make people aware of the situation.

You kinda make it sound like a medical condition, which needs treatment. :D

Getting back to the main topic:

I really like your premise about the book, and I''m positive that you handle the topic well. A lot better than the last book ideas I saw around here. (There is a really terrible and schizophrenic published one aswell. It makes my head hurt). I just believe that this shouldn't become a phenomenon for the masses to slaughter, for the sake of the phenomenon itself and the existing community. That's all.

If you feel like taking the risk, go ahead. It's not like we can stop you from doing so anyway.

I understand a bit of what you are saying here, but I am not sure if the comparison to being gay is apt. The most basic discrepancy between the two being that homosexuality is regarded as a thing that just happens, while making a tulpa is a thing that is done: as it has specific techniques, timeframes, etc. It's more akin to lucid dreaming.

Whether that information should be spread or not is not up to me to dictate, but the last thing I think is needed is for tulpa makers to gain the least slant that they're some kind of oppressed group, rather than people who are exploring an unusual function of the mind.

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

@Drakaina

Thank you! Glad you liked my comparison XD

@jean-luc

Thank you for your support! I appreciate it~

And cool, yeah! If you think of anything I'd love to hear from you again. ^^

@NoneFromHell

Well... you know I hate to say it, but honestly.. um.. duh? Dude this kind of thing is going to happen in some shape or form no matter what, if not because of me because of someone eventually. People are just that way, they misconstrue everything, they pick it apart and criticize every tidbit trying to look for anything wrong with it, and when they find something they deem wrong they attack it. Always. Since the beginning of time man has always had this tendency and always will. And that is exactly WHY I think more attention is good because the more we talk about this the less taboo it will become, people, even if they do not agree with the concept will learn to tolerate it. Then, then you will also have the very small group who will support it, and with time, great amounts of time and patience, and working with people, that group will grow.

As for people jumping into something they don't understand and playing... well again, yeah, there's lots of those out there, as you said some have already done this. Once more that is exactly why I think there's a need for even more of us to talk about our thoughtforms, so that people can have serious examples to go by, not just these who aren't really sure of what they're doing. If we are willing to speak up, we can offer more accurate information, which if people have more accurate information that may make the topic easier to accept because then they'll have a more sincere impression than from those who water it down.

Ok, I'm sorry, but did you just compare being gay to being a sickness that needs to be treated?? Oh, my friend, you and I, well we have a problem here then. First of all how DARE you have the audacity to imply such a thing. Second of all, please refraim from commenting on this topic until you either get a more correct viewpoint, or learn to choose your words VERY carefully because I am really rather insulted by this comment. Thank you.

@Sock

Well that's true, it is not the same thing, but I wasn't trying to compare tulpamancy to being gay, I apologize for the misunderstanding. I simply am comparing the fact that if you want anything in this world to be respected you need to talk about it, people need to know as much as possible before they can come to accept it as being ok.

While I don't think tulpamancers are an opressed group, I do think that our thughtforms face opposition. Just like (albeit this is a LOOSE comparison because I am aware the situation is not as extreme) you have people who are prejudice against others for their race/sexual orientation/religion/ect so they do not treat those people like people or respect them in any way. I feel this is how most people would treat our thoughtforms becuse they can't see them as real people. The only way this has gotten better is by people speaking up and saying hey you know what we are real people and that should be recognized.

Also I'd like to mention, though, yes, tulpamancers may have had a choice in creating their thoughtforms, most of the rest of the plural community (correct me if I'm wrong) has not. I did not make Alex, I played a part in his birth I suppose, but I did not intentionally create him to be a living thing, he just was and now no force on earth can change that. Then there are other's still, non soulbonders, but medians, and headmates, and all of these, they didn't just decide to have living thoughtforms. Through some situation or another the thoughtforms simply became part of their lives.

Christ, your attitude starts to piss me off and I probably stay away from further communicating in any way with you. But just to set things right:

1. Well I'm glad that you see my point about the whole information deal. I disagree with your view on how to deal with it, but as I said before: Your call. I just felt like pointing out which direction this may take, so you take this into consideration.

2. My wording seems to offend you, I didn't meant to say that being gay is a mental illness. The way you put your words pretty much implied that having a tulpa is something which needs special acceptance and support. The first thing I have in mind regarding "acceptance and support" are mental illnesses, not fancying the same gender, so I used that as an example, autonomous from your comparison. My opinion on this is that neither hosts nor tulpas are poor special snowflakes that needs to be treated special, as long as we're not dealing with a case of suppression. It is not any form of "condition". (Still not implying that being gay is something like this as well. Love who you want to love, I don't care about this topic.) You see?

Do with this information however you please, I don't care anymore.

I was not the one who came into this topic with an attitude. I asked for help about questions to answer that would be useful in such a book. You sir turned it into a debate about whether or not I should write a book. You do not come in and tell people who aspire to reach a goal to think about whether or not to reach that goal.

I wanted to write a book to share something very special to me and thought perhaps users with more experience would be able to encourage and guide me in a nice and informed way. Instead I have gotten backlash and have been told to think about my actions. And for what reason? Because you are scared of what other people will think of the of the community. A shame when someone would rather hide something for their entire lives than fight for it to be recognized.

I think you are worried about treating this as an 'oppressed topic' not because you aren't oppressed but because you are afraid of becoming oppressed. You aren't oppressed yet because no one hardly knows about this, but should they, what was your first concern? That we should educate them? No, how will they treat the community was the first concern.

How does your tulpa feel? I mean honestly, is she really ok with being hidden for her entire life, never being known anything about, just because of the negative reactions people might have?

At this point this topic has become a debate which I did not want, this was not its purpose, and I don't appreciate that it was steered away from its original intent. You really do like debating and bringing up counter points on this forum rather than actually sticking on topic and helping people don't you?

Well I supposed there's not really much to say anymore since this has become an angry 'you shouldn't write a book and your thinking and attitude are wrong' thread. So nevermind guys, I guess I shouldn't write a book if this is the reaction I'm going to get, thank you for this wonderful discouragement, NoneFromHell, you've helped this topic so much.