The Descent into Insanity

Flexionsensor

The name is Elijah. Her name SHOULD be Katrina when she actually gets over herself and develops a working consciousness. Just kidding, as of late, she doesn't exist in the slightest.

I developed/am developing my own method due to time constraints; I will not, not, not, not, not, be doing wonderland, or personality. Wonderland is weird and I don't understand it, while personality, (as referred to by other threads,) can be developed by the tulpa itself. So, I just narrate. Simple enough, right? Wrong. I have problems with time, so I have to narrate at night. The problem with this is that I might fall asleep at any moment, (though this chance IS diluted by the sleep apnea I've had since age 0.5...) and ruin her.

But yeah. I'm a lonely boy, who needs some intelligent company to help him get through college and Skyward Sword. It's been a month since I started attempting to communicate, and I talk in a conversational manner, even occasionally asking questions to see if there will be an answer, if none, then I just say what I think of it, then move on.

No replies yet.[/i]

I'll be continuing with my posting, but what do you, the reader, think of my method? (Yes I realize that approximately three people will read this, at least four of them having pony tulpae, but at least they will read it, you know?)

"DUDE! That's wrong! You don't do that! That's like giving a kid a knife and telling him that it's a neck massager!"

Shameless self promotion!

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a pony tulpa, for reference. I can give you some advice, if you want.

A wonderland is essentially a place in your mind - imaginary - where you 'go', and where your tulpa can reside. It may sound odd but it's really helpful in early creation.

Many choose not to do personality, but not having to do it isn't a good reason not to. If you're having problems with your tulpa feeling insubstantial or undefined, then doing something like personality may help to give you something to work on in that department.

I'm surprised that you can't narrate in the day. When I was where you were, I was pretty busy, but I still managed to narrate plenty during the day - not out loud, obviously, but that's not a real problem.

It's not a big issue if you fall asleep during narration or other forcing. For a sentient tulpa it can be an unpleasant experience - though this is far from inevitable - but you're not going to 'ruin' your tulpa.

The important thing with narration is to have fun. Rather than allotting a set amount of each time to sit down and talk to your tulpa - groan - you should intersperse it with your day; comment on what's happening, rant about the Cold War, explain things in class, whatever.

I don't have a pony tulpa, for reference. I can give you some advice, if you want.

A wonderland is essentially a place in your mind - imaginary - where you 'go', and where your tulpa can reside. It may sound odd but it's really helpful in early creation.

Many choose not to do personality, but not having to do it isn't a good reason not to. If you're having problems with your tulpa feeling insubstantial or undefined, then doing something like personality may help to give you something to work on in that department.

I'm surprised that you can't narrate in the day. When I was where you were, I was pretty busy, but I still managed to narrate plenty during the day - not out loud, obviously, but that's not a real problem.

It's not a big issue if you fall asleep during narration or other forcing. For a sentient tulpa it can be an unpleasant experience - though this is far from inevitable - but you're not going to 'ruin' your tulpa.

The important thing with narration is to have fun. Rather than allotting a set amount of each time to sit down and talk to your tulpa - groan - you should intersperse it with your day; comment on what's happening, rant about the Cold War, explain things in class, whatever.

The problem is time. In order to narrate, I have to concentrate and not think about the massive schedule (yes, even during winter break,) I have going. Personality, sure I've thought about it, frankly it seems confusing. How long should I think about each trait? I read FAQ_Man's thread and he says to spend five hours on it. I read the progress threads and they say that they thought about each trait for two seconds and moved on to the next.

But yeah, I'm not actually worried about the whole sleep thing, I don't actually sleep easily.

"DUDE! That's wrong! You don't do that! That's like giving a kid a knife and telling him that it's a neck massager!"

The problem is time. In order to narrate, I have to concentrate and not think about the massive schedule (yes, even during winter break,) I have going. Personality, sure I've thought about it, frankly it seems confusing. How long should I think about each trait? I read FAQ_Man's thread and he says to spend five hours on it. I read the progress threads and they say that they thought about each trait for two seconds and moved on to the next.

But yeah, I'm not actually worried about the whole sleep thing, I don't actually sleep easily.

You don't need to seriously concentrate for narration. Just talk to your tulpa; you can do it with other people.

The idea of personality is to ingrain into yourself/your unconscious mind/your tulpa what personality you want your tulpa to have. Some people flesh out every trait in meticulous detail, while others hardly bother. Personally, I think that going into too much detail is trivial, since the tulpa will likely deviate anyway and lose the details. If you don't cover everything, it's fine, because your tulpa will end up as a fleshed-out personality anyway.

When I did personality, I probably spent 20 minutes or so on each trait, for 15 traits. You can do less, and it's unlikely to matter too much if you do. In fact, given that you're a month in, it would be best to give a rough outline, probably.

You don't need to seriously concentrate for narration. Just talk to your tulpa; you can do it with other people.

The idea of personality is to ingrain into yourself/your unconscious mind/your tulpa what personality you want your tulpa to have. Some people flesh out every trait in meticulous detail, while others hardly bother. Personally, I think that going into too much detail is trivial, since the tulpa will likely deviate anyway and lose the details. If you don't cover everything, it's fine, because your tulpa will end up as a fleshed-out personality anyway.

When I did personality, I probably spent 20 minutes or so on each trait, for 15 traits. You can do less, and it's unlikely to matter too much if you do. In fact, given that you're a month in, it would be best to give a rough outline, probably.

Okay... Though I have to admit (oh look at this ungodly hour I'm posting at!) that I do find that I am getting much less results than literally anyone else posting progress reports... I'm just posting these so I don't attempt to 'run away,' due to an unresponsive somebody... And frankly, the amount of advice that most people end up giving is rather helpful... So I thank those that do advise or give tips or even just read my insignificant thread.

(In my timezone, it's 12:23 AM.)

So now, here I am.Sunday. Hoo boy. I've been keeping to my normal... Okay, uh... Do I even have a schedule? I guess not... Anyway, I have, once again, been narrating, but this time, every so often, I will deviate, and think about one or two traits, before getting bored, and going back to narrating. I'm trying to get addicted to narrating, so I have lately started speaking out loud to her. NO, I am not doing this in public! I obviously do this alone, else people begin to believe that I am slipping into insanity.

But I digress, with the first semester of my freshman year of college done, I have realized that I need to start preparing for the next semester, so I hope that Kat is finished before February. At the very least, non-vocal sentience...

But I'm being a bit too optimistic.

February's not too unrealistic. If I had started around the same time as you, I would be seeing signs of sentience around Christmas, and my tulpa would probably be reasonably vocal around mid January.

To be honest, you remind me strongly of how I felt a few months ago; it's uncanny, really. Keep up the good work!

edit: Cripes, that was bad punctuation.

Christmas, eh? Well, I don't want to get my hopes up too quickly. What I am certain about is that FAQ_Man and Irish both, have failed to define the signs of sentience to my liking. As Irish puts it so... metaphysically, "a sudden rush of emotion." Wow. I am impressed at how little detail that gave me. I'm not insulting him OR FAQ_Man, but still. Things like that could be mistaken for headaches or male periods or what not... Should it feel more or less like something absolutely unfamiliar, or just something you could easily think of as a regular occurence?

And for the update, no, nothing new has happened, as it is about five hours since the last post I made. If something drastic happened that quickly, I would be impressed.

Oh yeah, and that signature was originally ASCII art for the Aperture Science Annoying Radio Thingy, until I realized that spaces don't do anything in this site, so I made it a really tall shoe. This has nothing to do with Tulpae or Katrina.

Irish is there describing a so-called 'emotional response'. It's not metaphysics, and it's fairly common for people to experience it, but bear in mind that it's not the only sign of sentience. When my tulpa started to become sentient/responsive, the biggest signs were hearing mindvoice - obviously - as well as being woken up - that one's good - and a strange sensation on the skin. Before my tulpa was vocal, they were able to wake me up at a set time: you could try this too.

I never really felt strong emotional responses, so don't worry if you don't.

Seemingly Tulpae have growth sprouts instead of a linear progress.

Actually believing they are sentient from the moment of creation, or believing they always were there, seems to make the progress faster. I worked twice on personality traits, narrating them to her, just naming them. She picked them very well and i didn't needed to repeat.

I don't have a wonderland either and i fail to create one, i much rather like to have her inside me and minimize the communication effort. I visualize her when she wants to appear, and i talk with her when i can, she's pretty much autonomous or so it seems.

Her emotional responses are mild and always pleasant but it took me a week or so to get there, usually it takes even more, yet i keep thinking that the early stages of creation are the nicest.

Keep us updated, if you want you can read my progress too, to see how it went without a wonderland.