The Redesign: An Update

Pleeb

I know you guys haven't seen much of me lately (aside from the occasional freak out -- sorry about that), though I am alive and alright, I figured it's time I pushed an announcement to let you guys know that things are still happening.

The redesign is on. It's taking longer than expected, I know, but next Monday is Spring Break; I'll have a week off at uni, and I'll have time to do things (including updating my blog with what's been going on). We'll finish what's left to be finished for the redesign, and migrate to the new servers.

The Hosting Issue

Simply put, the hosting company we're using is shutting down at the end of the month. I was able to get a new hosting company out of canada that would fit our budget, but to quote what I said a while ago:

our current server uses about 3.5-4GB of ram every hour, when it gets past that, you get those cloudflare errors; the new server has about 256mb of ram

I really don't know if this new hosting company can handle our website. If we migrate, and everything slows down significantly and goes offline more often, you'll know why, and we'd be stuck like that until I can afford a dedicated server or plan with more ram (we'll cross that bridge when we get to it).

The redesign

Okay, now that that's out of the way, I want to talk about the redesign real quick.

(Please note the following is not 'content' -- I can't add in the content until we switched to the new domain, and the new hosting company; we'll get to that, though.)

For the main site (the www site), we've got this: http://devtest.tulpa.info/test/

For the new community forums, we have: http://devtest.tulpa.info/mybb/ which has two themes (I'll explain how to switch between them, but in the final product you'll be able to switch between them much easier).

Note: While there are post icons, they will be removed in the final version. The reason why we haven't just ripped them out of this current (or the new) version yet is because you have to edit templates, so it's going to be done in one go while the other template stuff are being changed.

How to switch between themes

The new test forums have two themes. A light and a dark. Both sets have their own image icons, too. To be able to play with both themes, you have to register an account, then go to your User CP, click "Edit Options," and in "Board Style," under "Other Options," you can select between "Rasznir's Light Theme" and "Rasznir's Dark Theme."

You can play around in both themes, see which one fits your preferences.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the default theme for the new site be the current theme of this site?

The default theme of the new site (the 'www' one) is the one in the /test/ link.

The default theme of the new community forums will either be the light or the dark one in the /mybb/ link. Probably the light one.

Spoiler

Hardly. A reason we're creating both a light and dark theme is because quite a few people like the dark themes.

As for this current one, there's a lot of issues with it at face value (the post page, post confirmation, some issues with the image sizes, long custom titles, names, avatars break the layout, it also doesn't look nice on wider monitors). I think most of these have been fixed with the new themes.

Spoiler

Guest Anonymous

Will there be an option to make our own themes of some sort, or something like that? Is there a way we can preview the two themes? Even just a screen cap would be nice.

As for le hosting issue, have you contacted the new company regarding whether it will break them? And names, can we have the name of the hosting companies? Also, alternate sites, should we make accounts on the Russian site (tulpa.ru) in case this one dies for a while?

Will there be an option to make our own themes of some sort, or something like that? Is there a way we can preview the two themes? Even just a screen cap would be nice.

As for le hosting issue, have you contacted the new company regarding whether it will break them? And names, can we have the name of the hosting companies? Also, alternate sites, should we make accounts on the Russian site (tulpa.ru) in case this one dies for a while?

The site won't be 'dying' as in 'gone', at the very least, it'll be up, but slow, and with some more downtime. We're migrating to Hostlatte, and as I said, that bridge will be crossed when we get to it, if we even need to get to it (I don't know what will happen).

There are other tulpa-related websites such as tulpae.com and the reddit; as well, the many, many, IRC channels that are around will be up.

Regarding the user-built themes, I was looking into it, and I wasn't able to find any plugins that would allow it, and we don't have the resources to pay someone to code such a plugin, at this time.

I haven't made a side-by-side comparison, but as I said in the OP, you can switch between them to check them both out.

Edit: If someone wants to make a screencap, they're free to. I don't have the resources on these lab computers.

Spoiler

If the HTML is made neatly, user themes could be implemented as a CSS file the user provides, either applied by a feature on the site, or clientside by a userscript.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

Dark:

600x300http://www.anonmgur.com/up/2c285ae39e09f19bd7c6668bea978cb2.png[/img]

600x300http://www.anonmgur.com/up/f3827ce13b80ae448b70672d4de29100.png[/img]

Light:

600x300http://www.anonmgur.com/up/a38c2cc8b2fc92ae80ea3793b9d41e59.png[/img]

600x300http://www.anonmgur.com/up/987e8ad3f21ae4bff9d9e010055cf00b.png[/img]

Looking pretty good, I think. All-round nice work.

Hoping the admin names won't be red like that though. They look off and too bright. Also >FoxTheCute, what.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)