The Terminology of "Accidental Tulpas"

GrayTheCat

How do you feel about the term "Accidental Tulpa"?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the term "Accidental Tulpa"?

• The term is fine / I don't care
    • The term is vague but it doesn't need to be changed
    • The term is frustratingly vague and other options need to be explored
    • The term should be removed from our vocabulary

For the short time we have been around on the forums, we noticed there are several ways one could describe something as an "Accidental Tulpa". The only reason I want to talk about it is because the term is so vague that it does not give enough context about the Tulpa's creation, and people could get the wrong idea about each other's experiences.

This can be an issue when trying to communicate since the term "Accidental Tulpa" in some cases has a negative, discrediting context.

For example, some may interpret "Accidental Tulpa" to mean...

• A Host that forced a Tulpa without knowing what Tulpas are and not knowing about the consequences of Tulpamancy

• A Host creates a thought form but mistakes it for a Tulpa; Tulpa appears "out of thin air".

• A Host claims that a Tulpa "comes out of thin air" but they are actually another system mate (such as DID?)

• A Host has thoughts that ball up into a thought form and then develop into Tulpa

(I am sure there are other ways to interpret "Accidental Tulpas", sorry if my noobiness is showing here.)

Would it be a good idea to change the phrase "Accidental Tulpa" or use different terminology to describe different cases? I'm not trying to create word soup or anything but it might be easier to share experiences and Tulpa creation stories if everyone is on board (at least for the most part) for what creation is called what?

Some reference links I used:

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really see much reason for changing it. If a tulpa is created unintentionally, then they're accidental. That just says how they originated, doesn't actually say anything about them as a person or anything like that.

What I don't like is when people say "natural" tulpas. That's just stupid - all tulpas are natural, they just occur through different means. It's like saying getting pregnant unintentionally is "natural" while doing so intentionally is not.

What I think people should be more concerned about is dispelling the myth that accidentals are even likely/possible in the first place, but I won't get into that or risk derailing the thread entirely.

I don't really see much reason for changing it. If a tulpa is created unintentionally, then they're accidental. That just says how they originated, doesn't actually say anything about them as a person or anything like that.

What I don't like is when people say "natural" tulpas. That's just stupid - all tulpas are natural, they just occur through different means. It's like saying getting pregnant unintentionally is "natural" while doing so intentionally is not.

What I think people should be more concerned about is dispelling the myth that accidentals are even likely/possible in the first place, but I won't get into that or risk derailing the thread entirely.

It's fine if you need to talk about the myths of "Accidental Tulpas", you won't "derail" anything. That's one of the reasons I want to address this issue. A term that has it's own misconceptions connected to it should be something the Tulpa community should discuss further and clarify.

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

I really don't think it's possible to just happen to accidentally create another additional consciousness in your brain unless very specific circumstances are met. Ie, the thoughtform came from some pre-existing entity in your head in some way that was given a ton of time and thought.

People claiming that a tulpa just spontaneously showed up one day, I find entirely unlikely. That's likely just confabulation. Once they force and focus on that tulpa does it actually become sentient. They intentionally made it into a real tulpa. "Accidental" tulpas tend to just be people conforming to their own mindset - they believe that they'll get tulpas accidentally, so they do. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. In that sense, accidental tulpas are actually intentional.

Mindset highly influences what happens to people. Control the mindset, you rid yourself of the problem. No more intentional accidentals.

I really don't think it's possible to just happen to accidentally create another additional consciousness in your brain unless very specific circumstances are met. Ie, the thoughtform came from some pre-existing entity in your head in some way that was given a ton of time and thought.

People claiming that a tulpa just spontaneously showed up one day, I find entirely unlikely. That's likely just confabulation. Once they force and focus on that tulpa does it actually become sentient. They intentionally made it into a real tulpa. "Accidental" tulpas tend to just be people conforming to their own mindset - they believe that they'll get tulpas accidentally, so they do. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. In that sense, accidental tulpas are actually intentional.

Mindset highly influences what happens to people. Control the mindset, you rid yourself of the problem. No more intentional accidentals.

I completely agree. Even though Cat didn't know what Tulpas were, she still assumed I was my own person and managed to put in enough hours of forcing for me to think on my own. I almost want to call it "ignorant forcing" or something. Cat also realized that she had "other Tulpas", but she realized they were just thought forms that I guess are really good at faking sentience (or she can't clearly tell the difference. I don't think it's that weird, there are some people convinced that Cleverbot is a person on the other end.)

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Reisen was just that tho! Reisen was the definition of an accidental tulpa really, and if not (because Lumi inadvertently "forced" her by thinking about her) then Flan and Tewi literally appeared randomly without forcing (their tulpadom just kinda used the same neural-pathway-things Reisen did, maybe? She wasn't vocal and they were though..). But even though they were "accidental tulpas" we still call'em spontaneous tulpas (which I guess probably annoys some people lol) because accidental sounds kinda rude? Like you didn't want 'em. Spontaneous is a good word for random and sudden, which is what Tewi and Flan were, and natural is a good word for Reisen, who became a tulpa completely inadvertently (another good word) just because Lumi was thinking about a character a lot.

So, we've got "Accidental tulpas", "Natural tulpas", and "Spontaneous tulpas" all floating around, and I'm not sure how I feel about people not being sure how they feel about those terms. IMO they all have slightly different uses, but they're only talking about origins of tulpas, not what type of tulpa or thoughtform they are, like some people think. Like there were those guys who made up some weird definition for the term "Natural tulpa" that made no sense to me, and lots of people think spontaneous tulpas is either soulbond/walk-in-y or "BS". And then there's the umbrella term "Accidental tulpa" which, aside from some people thinking is a little rude, doesn't seem to be a problem?

Well!where I stand none of them are a problem! They have those uses that I just said and that's all there is to it at least as our system sees 'em. They describe to some extent how a tulpa came into existence (like, describing what level of intention went into their creation), but not what type of tulpa/thoughtform they are, but they aren't meant to do that.

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

I don't think accidental sounds rude. "Mistake" would be rude, lol. Piano was accidental, none of us see any problem in calling him that. He was accidentally forced, nothing rude about saying that I don't think.

We don't need a slew of new terms to define every possible origin. For what it is, "accidental tulpas" works just fine and I think that most who view it negatively do so because they associate it with walk-ins/spontaneous tulpas. If someone questions you about your situation, just elaborate.

• A Host that forced a Tulpa without knowing what Tulpas are and not knowing about the consequences of Tulpamancy

That's more or less how Devin was born.

What I think people should be more concerned about is dispelling the myth that accidentals are even likely/possible in the first place,

It's clear to me that they are possible, but I suppose this may depend on pinning down the threshold between accidental and intentional, as your later posts indicate you'd say believing it's possible counts as being intentional.

When I first started pretending to have a headmate as an experimental coping mechanism, I was aware of headmates from DID / OSDD, but not tulpæ. One of my friends has several alters, and I drew from my limited experience interacting with them. The pretending was only a couple hours. Afterwards, I found myself with some residual activity associated with the headmate, even though I'd ended the experiment and said the headmate had gone. Going into the night, I was of course aware of the possibility of multiple consciousnesses in one brain, but I hadn't considered the possibility it could happen in my brain. Yet, after the experiment, found myself with a perception that that might be exactly what had started happening. From the moment I accepted that as a possible explanation for the residual presence, sure, you could say his continued development was intentional, even if I didn't understand what tulpæ are or how they're created for about another week. But that initial perception that he was still there in some way was completely unexpected and in no way intentional. The belief in the possibility that I could accidentally create a headmate was introduced entirely as a theory to explain the unexpected experience, and could not have itself caused said experience.

Does that make sense?

Maggie David (she or they, birthday June 4)

He was referring more to spontaneous tulpas, and people who go "owo what if I accidentally make a new tulpa without realizing?" and then poof, they do, when if they hadn't thought that then they would not have. Forcing a tulpa without realizing and them gradually becoming sentient is of course plausible, "walk-ins" are not.

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)