Hello There, Guest! Register

Tulpas and Tulpa-like Things in the Media
EdgeLordMaximus Offline
Registered

Threads: 9

RE: Tulpas and Tulpa-like Things in the Media

Not sure if it's mentioned but Dexter, from the show of the same name, has a tulpa like entity of his father that he talks to.
10-20-2018, 08:56 PM
Find Reply

Sponsors:
Lolflash - click it, you know you want to

ShadowsDancing Offline
Registered

Threads: 0

(06-28-2018, 09:38 PM)ShadowsDancing Wrote: &%$^ ninja! That one. 

I am getting a kick out of all the "no, no, that's not Tulpamancy, just MPD/DID." comments. In my experience these things are not mutually exclusive. Wink

Tewi

They very much are, although in the context of saying "Hey, that's sort of like a tulpa" about things, I'm not sure it applies as much. There's still a difference, but most often in media tulpa-like things aren't really trying to be one or the other and so fall somewhere between. Or just as entirely its own thing.

Plenty of multiple/plurals, especially larger system types, engage in Tulpamancy. Most that do so have "full citizenship" options available to the new folks. Saying "not mutually exclusive" is not the same as saying tulpas = multiples = tulpas.
10-24-2018, 01:39 PM
Find Reply
Lucilyn Offline
Very Hop'n Hop'n Hoppy
Registered

Threads: 7
Linked Accounts

hm, probably read that wrong, we definitely wouldn't have said people with DID can't practice tulpamancy

Hi I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.
All of my posts should be read at a hundred miles per hour because that's probably how they were written
Please talk to me https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas
10-24-2018, 02:03 PM
Find Reply
Areolo Offline
Registered

Threads: 3

No one told about "Finding Paradise"?

It's very cool thing, recommend to find and to play, will take not more than a couple of hours. And of course it connects with "tulpa" theme.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2018, 07:04 PM by Areolo.)
11-10-2018, 07:04 PM
Find Reply
ghost kid Offline
Registered

Threads: 23

A tulpa in an advertisement.

• If Mr. Giggles[Image: external_link.gif] ever asks you for some cheese, say yes.
01-05-2019, 01:00 AM
Find Reply
Dashie Bear Offline
>Justice Bringer<
Registered

Threads: 0
Linked Accounts

RE: A tulpa in an advertisement.

I wish...

Don't mess with my sisters, I bite.
<profile pic>

01-05-2019, 01:02 AM
Find Reply
J+C Offline
Registered

Threads: 21

This is something I don't think we get too much of: a show shot from the perspective of a tulpa-like entity/viewer stand-in. It's quite a bit like Dexter, with the premise of a hacker instead of a serial killer. For the first maybe 5 episodes, the dialogue is abysmal, like they had no idea how to show character motivations without the characters going around saying "I want to do X! I hate Y! I am Z!" Once they get past all the set-up, it's not that bad. 

The main character talks to the viewer in every episode. Later on, he goes as far as to ask the viewer, "Do you know more than I do?" This is especially interesting, given that the viewer gets to see scenes from the viewpoints of other characters. He also says something like "You aren't living this, and so you can be objective. That must be nice." The shot of a busy street around the main character then slows down and light music starts playing. In a moment of 3rd-wall bending, the main character says, "That's better." 

This trailer doesn't give the viewer insert enough credit. The opening lines are: 
Quote:Hello, friend.
"Hello, friend?" That's lame.
Maybe I should give you a name.
But that's a slippery slope.
You're only in my head.
We have to remember that.
Shit.
It's actually happened.
I'm talking to an imaginary person.
Oh, geez. I went down that slippery slope. 
I think the media representation is another reason to believe that the phenomena of "talking to someone in your head" is probably more common than people expect: we either don't label it as such, or we don't talk about for fear of being called crazy. 
In other news, Gavin's found a show he heavily relates to (though my life isn't nearly as dramatic, and I'm not nearly as unstable.) 

-J
01-12-2019, 09:27 PM
Find Reply