Upgrading to new servers / forum software

Pleeb

Dear .info,

Earlier this month I touched on our plans for the future; namely, we're going to switching away from MyBB and move to Invision Community (formally known as Invision Power Board, which is why I'm going to abbreviate it as "IPB"). Feel free to read that thread's Opening Post for the rationale on that change.

I'm feeling good about IPB. It seems more secure and has a smooth and premium feel to it. With an exception of the arcade, it seems to have all of the features that MyBB currently has and more (including linked accounts). I also want to take this time to upgrade the .info server that we use to a different operating system that more easily supports the latest versions of PHP, etc.

Some time between now and Augest we're going to purchase a new VPS (Virtual Private Server) with identical specs to the current one and start queuing it up with a new operating system. Once that's done we'll do some test migrations on this VPS to see if everything is working okay. We'll also play around and tweak the IPB theme to get somewhat of the same color and feel as our current dark and light themes. Since our MyBB theme is actually heavily modified to mimic our old InvisionFree theme (which is based off Invision Power Board), this should be pretty straightforward.

Once we're comfortable with things we'll be recreating .info on that new server, shut stuff down for a weekend, and move everything over. In theory all you'll have to do is re-link your accounts.

I can probably make the sandbox we'll be playing in accessable to people who want it once we get closer to getting the software up and running.

If you would like to get a feel of how IPB is, you can request your own demo and play around with it here: https://invisioncommunity.com/clientarea/demo/

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted once we have more specific dates.

Thanks,

Pleeb.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

Here's hoping all the links stay working... and that there's no forum-wide formatting issues in old posts because of this.

Seems that the Arcade is finally reaching its conclusion, stakes are high now. Vos was once the reigning champion but is now nowhere to be seen...

tucad96.png

Who will win? All I know is no one will beat us at Tower Defence. But we're not interested in any of the other games.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

We are definitely aiming for 301 redirects on at least every thread that has been created. It remains to be seen if there will be any post body issues.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png