Why is it bad to make a tulpa based on a fictional character?

I've read a few people say this, but I don't really understand why. What is the reasoning behind it?

I want to make a tulpa based on a character that I love from Mass Effect. I suppose I could make a completely original tulpa, but I love Liara and it wouldn't really be fair to the tulpa because I could never love her as much as I care about Liara.

I've heard people mention things like tulpa identity crisis, but does this actually happen or is it just speculation? I don't understand how it could happen if you completely build their personality around the personality of this fictional character and mentally think of it as if you were giving life to the character through your tulpa. Almost as if you are transferring her consciousness from the game to your mind.

Wouldn't the identity crisis only occur if you thought that an identity crisis should occur and you subconsciously cause it to happen?

Depends on who is creating tulpa. It's strictly individual.

Tali is the only good female in Mass Effect (unless you go FemShep, of course ;) )

There are a few people making characters (such as a lot of Lyra, Octavia, and Vinyl Scratch from MLP and JBDar has 5 tulpa based off the main characters from K-ON). However, what you are doing is probably the bad way. The whole identity crisis thing is because the tulpa won't be able to live up to the character. If you were to make a completely new personality and continuously affirm that your tulpa is NOT the character, just that you're using the character as a form it'll probably be okay. Then again it's up to the individual tulpa.

And don't give false memories. JD1215 did that with his first tulpa, and she ended up suicidal because she missed her memory parents.

Name: Suzy

Form: Like my avatar, but realistic.

Time: 58 hours.

The soulbonds are mostly based o fictional characters and seem to have all their fabricated fiction memories.

They don't seem to have any problem with thinking about never becoming like the person they're based of. Maybe they really do think they are the same as the fictional character? http://www.soulbonding.net/

The soulbonds are mostly based o fictional characters and seem to have all their fabricated fiction memories.

They don't seem to have any problem with thinking about never becoming like the person they're based of. Maybe they really do think they are the same as the fictional character? http://www.soulbonding.net/

Go back to the metaphysics board.

Name: Suzy

Form: Like my avatar, but realistic.

Time: 58 hours.

Go back to the metaphysics board.
So creating tuppers based on fictional characters with memories only works when believing in metaphysics stuff? :huh:

Indeed. Keep all metaphysics discussion there, please.

And it was targeted at the site linked, by the way.

Orange juice helps with concentration headaches.

No is the answer to your last question. But you have to decide yourself what do you want and what are yours beliefs. Metaphysical or not it doesn't matter. Its all in your mind and imagination is your limit. But remember, even if you choose logical answer, but your heart will be against it, you will create only suffering.

Anyway, I don't know whats the problem with using fictional characters, if people were using them for years even before internet was born. I don't see any problem except psychological conflicts creator's belief system.

• 3 weeks later...

When you're a sentient being, you kind of want to be an original one too. Being raised with the knowledge that you're supposed to be a version of this one fictional character your dad likes, and that's why you were made the way you are, is something of a crisis, and also really a bit of an insult.

QB loves his form, but he's always found the fact that it's stolen from a well-known anime character to be... unfortunate. He'd prefer it if that character didn't exist, so he could truly be himself and nothing else.

The above post does not contain facts.

q2's the host, QB's the tulpa.

• 8 months later...
Guest Anonymous

It's not bad to make a character's form based off of another character. It's bad to make them think that they are that character. They'll spiral into a crisis of badness and sadness either in depression that they aren't that character, that they'll never live up to that character, or possibly both.

For example, I originally started with a Pinkie tulpa. I said to her over and over and over again that she wasn't the real Pinkie and she had the freedom to be whoever and for that matter whatever she wanted to be. Despite having a Pinkie tulpa, she was eventually no longer associated witht the mare. She wasn't Pinkie, she was and still is, Snow K. Knight.