[Wonderland] Sophie's Wonderland Tips
(01-15-2014, 01:07 AM)Yori Wrote: Actually, while someone may not be able to view the entire world at once, there are some people claiming to have entire planet wonderlands running that they've worked on for years (since kids).

That's called a paracosm.

Sponsors:
Lolflash - click it, you know you want to

4/9 GAT members have approved of this for Tips & Tricks.
(01-15-2014, 05:14 AM)Derp Wrote: That's called a paracosm.

Do I need to do this shit again?

No. A paracosm does not mean a large wonderland. A paracosm means a detailed, large conworld, a constructed world often made for a book or a game, but could be just done for your own fun as well. While it's possible for this conworld of yours to also be a wonderland or a place you explore in your imagination as well, not every conworlder does that. Some just write or draw without exploring it like you explore a wonderland, and I could never call any place I don't actually visit in my imagination a wonderland, at least.

Also do note detailed in my list there. A large wonderland does not mean detailed. If you look at examples listed at paracosms on something like Wikipedia, Middle Earth is listed as one. So, for your wonderland to be a conworld and an actual paracosm, you're going to need a lot more than just size. You need details. Animals and plants? What are they, do they have names, how do they grow, can they be eaten? What do they eat? Are there people, cultures, history and languages? What kind of countries are there, have you drawn a map, named cities or special landmarks? Any religions or special people? What about the laws of physics, are they actually different from our world? Is there magic? What about astrology?

That is a paracosm. And once your wonderland has that detail put in it? Then you can call it a paracosm. But you better actually know it instead of just thinking you see it all, because work goes into actually developing that.
The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)
Well, I'm open to suggestions on titles. Wonderland Blueprints? Sophie's Symposium? The House That Your Mind Built?

To add to what Sands said on Paracosms, it occurs to me that there are different kinds of detail. Let's use Middle Earth as an example. As Sands said, we have information on Middle Earth that we don't have about the average wonderland, like history, culture, language, geography, and so on. But if the Shire were your wonderland, you might know which direction the major streets run, what geographical features the town is built around, and how to get from one house to another -- none of which is included in our books about Middle Earth.

To use the ever-popular Minecraft/wonderland comparison, the game Minecraft maps out places the player is going to see in the near future. You might start the game in the forest, and Minecraft knows where each individual tree is. Until you go north, the game only knows about what's north in a very vague way. It'll know, for example that there's tundra or desert or ocean in that direction, what sort of plants and animals might be found there, and how the land might be shaped. Until you actually go north however, the game won't know where each individual cactus is in the desert, or whether there's an oasis, or what animals might be found there.

Middle Earth (and any paracosm, really) is more like the area that's far away in Minecraft. We know that hobbits live in the Shire, and we know what it's 50 leagues from the northern moors to the marshes in the south. We don't know, however, where each individual house is, and although we get a few names and personalities of hobbits, we don't really get to know most of the inhabitants of the Shire in the way that we would if it were a wonderland.

Wonderlands, by contrast, are more like the area nearby in Minecraft. We know where that craggy tree is, and where the fork in the road is, and where that pack of wolves lives. This is the kind of detail I'm saying that the mind can't maintain on a planetary scale. Google tells me that the worldwide population of wolves is something like 150,000. That'll be more than 21,000 wolf packs, which is probably more than your mind can keep track of.

And of course I'm talking about Earth-sized planets. If your wonderland is a "planet" like the one in The Little Prince, about the size of a house, you probably can maintain the entire thing in your mind with ease.
Approved for tips
Not liking this statement. "No matter how long you've been making wonderlands, you won't be able to keep the entire surface of an Earth-sized planet in your head."
Very frontloading esqe, and untrue. Easy enough to imagine an earth sized desert planet for instance. Or an earth sized grassy debug type world with repetitive grass patterning.

"Scent and taste are harder to incorporate into your wonderland"
Frontloading. Who says it's harder? Some people are great at smelling things. Others not so much. Very depending on one's person, yes?

"When you first start with your wonderland, it won't feel very real."
Frontloading, way to increase the probability of people having a very real wonderland experience from the start.

"The other senses can be even harder to incorperate than scent and touch, but they're very important as well.''
can be. closer.

"One of the hardest things about wonderlands is getting a sense of really being there. " Is it the hardest? Is it?

Honestly you could say "Your mileage may vary" every time you give frontloading. Neutral terms, use them. You're attempting to help people, yes? Then why are you giving your readers suggestions that things will be hard? Talk about making things harder than need be. If you want to be an author, consider what effect your words will have on your readers. Here to help, not hinder.

Disapproved for tips until you make neutral these phrases.
(01-17-2014, 02:14 PM)mayormorgan Wrote: Not liking this statement. "No matter how long you've been making wonderlands, you won't be able to keep the entire surface of an Earth-sized planet in your head."
Very frontloading esqe, and untrue. Easy enough to imagine an earth sized desert planet for instance. Or an earth sized grassy debug type world with repetitive grass patterning.

I suppose saying "Many people have difficulty making their tulpa visible to other people" is frontloading? Smile Oh, alright, that's some valid criticism. I believe I've changed everything you mentioned.

I even get the point you're making about a grassy debug planet, and I've changed that as well, but if you think a realistic desert planet can be easily held in memory, you're crazy. Mars is technically a desert planet. Head over to Google Mars and see how much of that you can memorize.

Also, there's a whole lot of variation between deserts. Deserts are defined by the amount of annual rainfall they receive, so even the polar icecaps of Mars are still desert, as are the Siberian steppes here on Earth. There's a whole lot of variation in flora and fauna, types of sand, rock formations.

If you're talking about a simple debug-style desert, like your grassy plain, sure. *Maybe* even if you took a square mile of a real desert and repeated it endlessly. But any realistic planet (by the current scientific definition of "planet") will probably be impossible for any human being to memorize. Still, I'll change the text so it applies equally to cyborg prodigies, just in case.
Approved for tips and tricks.
"Assert the supremacy of your Imaginal acts over facts and put all things in subjection to them... Nothing can take it from but your failure to persist in imagining the ideal realized."

-Neville Goddard
6/9 Approve for Tips & Tricks.
Approved for Tips and Tricks.

I had some similar objections as mayormorgan's, but seeing as they're fixed now, it's mostly fine.

> But any realistic planet (by the current scientific definition of "planet") will probably be impossible for any human being to memorize.

Your brain can generate a lot of amazing landscapes on the fly, you could perceive entire entirely original 'worlds' if you so wish, thus any new wonderland adventure could end up being of a new place.
This is more of a matter of training your imagination rather than actually memorizing more information than could ever fit in your head (and even if you could perceive it all, you'd end up forgetting everything except the memorable parts).