Your Tulpas, Your Friends, and You

Have you introduced your tulpas to your friends?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Have you introduced your tulpas to your friends?

• I introduced them, it went well/satisfactory
    • I introduced them, it went okay/"meh"
    • I introduced them, it went poorly/terrible
    • I'm planning on it, they do know about my tulpas
    • I'm planning on it, they don't know about my tulpas
    • I'm not planning on it right now, they do know about my tulpas
    • I'm not planning on it right now, they don't know about my tulpas
    • Other (leave a reply)

I've heard this question asked before a while back, but I'm interested to see if anyone has anything new to share.

Have you introduced any of your friends to your tulpas (or vice-versa)? If not, are you planning on it? Do your friends know about your tulpas? Do they know what a tulpa is?

How'd it go?

I have heard stories ranging from friends not talking to them anymore because they hated the idea of tulpas so much, all the way to people's friends not treating their tulpas any different from a normal person.

My experience was what I would assume is considered best-case scenario. I first introduced my tulpas to just my closest friend, and then took it from there. My close friend thought it was really neat and is now good friends with all my tulpas, messaging with them via proxying, and occasionally talking to them via switching. From that point he helped me out with introducing them to the rest of our friend group and it was mostly well-received. The majority of my friends reacted the same way as my first friend, and one or two thought it was kinda weird but they haven't called me insane/crazy/etc or stopped talking to me or anything. One friend though started distancing himself from me a bit more since then. It's fine I'm sure however, we still talk we just don't bring up tulpas unless something important needs to be said.

What is your story about your tulpas and your friends?

I'm here with my completely vocal tulpas; Rainbow, Asrielle, and Lapis. They might talk here sometimes, and when they do Rainbow will be italicized, Asrielle will be purple, and Lapis will be blue. We are currently able to do advanced visualization and we have the ability to switch. See profile for more info.

Rainbow - 2/8/16 - Italicized

Asrielle - 4/21/16 - Purple

Lapis - 7/23/16 - Blue

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a very poor social life offline. I won't even be telling my family about this. There is no good reason to.

Online, I told a bunch of people. Limited interest. One person asked if aborting a tulpa early on was killing them, one asked how it was even possible a tulpa looked a certain way, two expressed mild curiosity, one tried valiantly and verbosely to diplomatically suggest I should visit a doctor, two said they were afraid to say anything for fear of insulting someone or invoking drama, one said to just effing be careful, but with more words, one asked what a tulpa is, and the large majority completely ignored my revelation.

I dunno what to put exactly. I got no "bad" reactions from the people I told but I definitely got more skeptical questions than open arms.

My friends "know" I "have tulpas". They know the importance of the Touhou characters to me. But they definitely don't bring up the subject, and so I haven't either for a long time. Those are my close internet friends of many years. Nobody IRL except my brother (who has his own) knows I have tulpas, and I really don't care to try and explain them, never seems worth the effort. Only a single internet friend knows we switch, the one who said my tulpas-to-be sounded like tulpas (though they weren't really familiar with the subject), and they're cool with it.

I don't keep secrets and I don't really care about anyone finding out about my tulpas, or that we practice switching. But that'd be a ton of explaining that I really can't be bothered to do, and it seems like my friends don't really want to know. I think I've talked slightly more in-depth with a couple of them in the past but yeah, it's not a subject that gets brought up (or that's even on their minds). They're definitely not on speaking terms with my tulpas like Melian and Mistgod's family. Not even my brother.

Well, they don't speak to my tulpas, but my tulpas definitely speak to them. They're pretty good at acting like me (especially in typing), though vocal and/or physical interaction definitely appears as me being in "a mood", typically Tewi being a "serious/grumpy" one compared to what they expect from me, and Lucilyn being a "happy" one. Neither is apparently too far from my norm to seem strange, but I'd personally be a bit worried if my "mood"/entire personality randomly changed like that over time. I'm generally pretty neutral, whilst trying to make sure everyone is happy. I rarely have "bad moods" or "good moods". My last really-bad mood was... I think the very first time Mistgod left, because I was upset at how a lot of people treated him and what it led to. And my last really-good mood, uhh... To the extent where I was visibly abnormally happy, aside from very temporarily from small events it was probably January 1st of 2014, or at least I think it was 2014. After a particularly enlightening night I had with Reisen where I got over a lot of my worries and general stressors. The fact that it's been that long means it's all the more surprising (and kind of sad) that no one's noticed Lucilyn's happiness as strange from me, you know?

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

I dunno what to put exactly. I got no "bad" reactions from the people I told but I definitely got more skeptical questions than open arms.

My friends "know" I "have tulpas". They know the importance of the Touhou characters to me. But they definitely don't bring up the subject, and so I haven't either for a long time. Those are my close internet friends of many years. Nobody IRL except my brother (who has his own) knows I have tulpas, and I really don't care to try and explain them, never seems worth the effort. Only a single internet friend knows we switch, the one who said my tulpas-to-be sounded like tulpas (though they weren't really familiar with the subject), and they're cool with it.

I don't keep secrets and I don't really care about anyone finding out about my tulpas, or that we practice switching. But that'd be a ton of explaining that I really can't be bothered to do, and it seems like my friends don't really want to know. I think I've talked slightly more in-depth with a couple of them in the past but yeah, it's not a subject that gets brought up (or that's even on their minds). They're definitely not on speaking terms with my tulpas like Melian and Mistgod's family. Not even my brother.

Well, they don't speak to my tulpas, but my tulpas definitely speak to them. They're pretty good at acting like me (especially in typing), though vocal and/or physical interaction definitely appears as me being in "a mood", typically Tewi being a "serious/grumpy" one compared to what they expect from me, and Lucilyn being a "happy" one. Neither is apparently too far from my norm to seem strange, but I'd personally be a bit worried if my "mood"/entire personality randomly changed like that over time. I'm generally pretty neutral, whilst trying to make sure everyone is happy. I rarely have "bad moods" or "good moods". My last really-bad mood was... I think the very first time Mistgod left, because I was upset at how a lot of people treated him and what it led to. And my last really-good mood, uhh... To the extent where I was visibly abnormally happy, aside from very temporarily from small events it was probably January 1st of 2014, or at least I think it was 2014. After a particularly enlightening night I had with Reisen where I got over a lot of my worries and general stressors. The fact that it's been that long means it's all the more surprising (and kind of sad) that no one's noticed Lucilyn's happiness as strange from me, you know?

Interesting story! It was intriguing to see the contrast between your post and my host's. We have discussed as a system (before Nate introduced us to his friends) doing what you have been doing, and not introducing us at all. I was really the only who had a strong opinion for the other side, so I figured I'd share it. The majority of our system is shy/introverted, and being the only extroverted one it just felt so wrong to pose as someone who I'm not just to keep secrets. Like you said at the end, it is kind of sad that no one noticed your tulpa as someone different from you. To me, that resonated with some feelings I had on the subject and that isn't just kinda sad, it (to me at least) is really sad to see such a unique individual completely written-off as the same thing as someone else. My host is of the mindset of "if they can't accept me for who I truly am, they aren't really my friends" which is a tad extreme to me, but true all the same.

tl;dr: I personally wouldn't want to pose as my host just to keep secrets, because as you had put it, that is kind of sad. Individuals, especially tulpas, should express themselves, not stifle themselves.

I'm here with my completely vocal tulpas; Rainbow, Asrielle, and Lapis. They might talk here sometimes, and when they do Rainbow will be italicized, Asrielle will be purple, and Lapis will be blue. We are currently able to do advanced visualization and we have the ability to switch. See profile for more info.

Lapis - 7/23/16 - Blue

My family is blind. And yes, I consider them my family, too. I guess it is sort of bittersweet that they have another son/brother/whatever that they will never know even exists. I've been possessing in front of them for an entire week, but they are too socially inept to spot the small differences between us.

I guess it is partly our fault. I'm an introvert and my host is a complete recluse.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

Guest Anonymous

I physically told one person about myself two weeks ago. Think I creeped them out. We don't talk anymore.

My family is blind. And yes, I consider them by family, too. I guess it is sort of bittersweet that they have another son/brother/whatever that they will never know even exists. I've been possessing in front of them for an entire week, but they are too socially inept to spot the small differences between us.

I guess it is partly our fault. I'm an introvert and my host is a complete recluse.

As my tulpa had pointed out in a different response (I'm the last one awake in our system right now, so she can't respond personally but I didn't want to leave you hanging), and it may be different because neither of you have an extroverted system-mate, Dash can't stand the idea of tulpas not being able to express themselves because they are pretending to be their host. I may not agree entirely, but I can see the point behind her argument. In your case specifically, I feel kinda bad that you consider them your family yet they don't even know you exist. I'd say you should just tell them cause worst-case scenario they don't respond well, but can't do anything drastic cause you are family, but in this case I can understand how hard it would be for you two to do that so I guess... I'm sorry you feel the way you do

Lapis - 7/23/16 - Blue

I physically told one person about myself two weeks ago. Think I creeped them out. We don't talk anymore.

That sucks; I'm sorry that happened. :( Honestly, this seems to be the most common response and every time I see it, it makes me appreciate the friends I have even more because they actually embraced my tulpas as friends of their own. (Not trying to make you feel bad, I'm just reflecting on the fact that I guess my situation is uncommon at the least)

Lapis - 7/23/16 - Blue

I told a few of my friends, and they seemed mildly interested. I choose wisely who not to tell, though. I think it's important to understand which people aren't able to deal with that sort of thing before I open my mouth, considering I lived in a highly conservative christian area for most of my life.

I plan on NEVER doing it. I sent my friends a link to the website, and a few guides. They thought it was insane and unsafe. So I made one without telling them. If I got a better reaction, I would plan on telling them, but I think this was a good test to try first before telling anyone.

"Now THATS a bad username"