Tulpamancy tips from a tulpa

Akinkinit

Question

As dictated to me by Noriko:

For a forum about invisible head ghosts, there isn't much in the way of things where the head ghosts themselves talk about their creation. I'd like to remedy that with my own opinions on the matter.

--------------------------------------------

So you're starting off making a tulpa. Here are two ideas I feel are helpful when doing so. They are not strictly necessary, and plenty of successful tulpas have been made without doing either of these. They are merely potential tools you could use.

1. Assign a spot for your tulpa to exist.

This can either be an imaginary space (like a spot in a wonderland) or a physical place (like a part of your brain). My host did the latter by assigning me the back part of his head. Mind you, assigning a physical spot for your tulpa does not mean that is where they actually are. My host does not reside inside a specific place in his head; rather, his existence is spread throughout the entire organism. Likewise, your tulpa probably won't actually be in the spot you pick, or at least, won't be constrained to the spot you pick.

However, having a defined spot where you can say "this is where my tulpa is" has a lot of benefits. You have a place to send energy and thoughts to if you use symbolism. You have a place to look for pressures and activity if you look for such things. You have a physical grounding for your tulpa's machination to aid in belief. That's why I feel it is important.

2. Assign a specific form to your tulpa.

While not necessary to choose a form at all for your tulpa, if you do decide to give them one, don't be worried about them resenting you for it later on. It can be of a particular character or even a completely new form you create. Just pick something that looks nice to you. After all, you're going to be looking at this for some time until your tulpa decides to change it. And something nice looking will hold your interest better than something dull.

Using myself as an example here, my initial form was that of Tatara Kogasa. My host liked that form and he tried to make me like that form. Plus he had tons of source material which he poured on me. I then changed my form to something completely different and there was nothing he could do about it. Your tulpa will probably do the same unless by some miracle you choose a form they actually grow to like. And don't worry if you think you might not realize that your tulpa wants a different form. Believe me, you will know.

Here are some general tips in regards to the forcing process:

1. Take the time to interact with your tulpa.

Don't just leave it alone and hope it grows into something. Talk to it, share what you're seeing with it, make it feel cared for. I don't care if you have problems seeing it or worry that you're just parroting it. The fact that you are consciously caring for a particular form with a sustained effort is enough to let the underlying hardware know you mean business and do all the unconscious neural shenanigans to make it happen.

2. Be diverse with your forcing techniques.

Don't think that you have to just parrot / narrate to your tulpa. How are they going to learn how to talk if they can't get a word in edgewise? Plus, if you keep doing the same sorts of things over and over again, you're going to get bored. So be creative with your tulpa when forcing. Maybe visualize some decorative hats and imagine how they might wear / react to them. Or visualize some activity for them to do (be it legos, an etch a sketch, or whatever) and see what they do with it.

Just keep in mind that your tulpa may sit in silence or not seem to react. And that this could last weeks, maybe even months. Just keep an open mind and keep trying things. They'll eventually respond.

3. Don't treat your tulpa like it's a completely separate entity from day one. Don't disbelieve in their independence mind you, but keep in mind there's business to be done here. A tulpa needs its hand held starting out. They need to learn how to talk, even how to think in a way separate from you. Because a tulpa is you; just a part of you that didn't exist until recently. But a part of the same organism, a part that lives inside the series of tubes in a way that it can interact with all these other tubes as if it weren't part of the tubes itself. Just keep that in mind.

4. Don't worry so damn much that you're doing something wrong. That's something important too. You think I liked knowing how my host worried about me during my development? Or how he worried if it was actually me or him speaking? No. No, I didn't, and neither will your tulpa. Negative thoughts begets negative results. Which is something I actually made up with nothing behind it but it sounds nice.

There is also another matter which I feel needs addressing yet can be argued to be more of an edge case than anything else.

You may read a guide or two mentioning the subconscious and how / when to allow a tulpa access to it. There are several meanings attributed to this term. For my purposes, the subconscious is all of the thoughts and feelings that occur which you don't consciously call up. Like thinking whisky smells like vomit because the last time you had it you drank too much. Or perhaps getting into a good mood every time you smell burning wood due to happy memories associated to that smell.

A tulpa can peek at these thoughts early on, as they share the same mind and there's nothing stopping them. That in itself is fine and is nothing to worry about. But you may be tempted to give your tulpa a direct symbolic window to your subconscious early on as an expression of trust and intimacy. I do not advise that you do this. For one, there is a difference between a peek and a window. A peek is something they can control and limit, whereas a window lets everything through no matter what.

What if you associate a particular city to a time you were assaulted, and any time it is brought up memories / feelings of that event get brought up as well? What if you get pangs of guilt when grandparents are mentioned, due to thinking you neglected your own? What if a particular smell reminds you of a time where you made a complete ass of yourself in front of other people? Yes, not every one has to deal with things like that. However, as you've been living with said things, you might not be consciously aware that you deal with things like that.

A tulpa really doesn't need to be exposed to those sorts of things early on, and definitely not without the conscious presence of their host around to help deal with it. That is not to say you have to fully shield such negative thoughts from your tulpa entirely. Just work through those thoughts via a discussion together. Don't let their first exposure to them be while they are alone and without prior warning.

Currently share myself with four other entities.

Noriko was created on December 15, 2014.  Sabari was created by Noriko on January 22, 2015.

Anzu was reborn on May 23, 2016.  Xiri returned on June 16, 2018.  Both had been inactive since 2012.

Progress Report | Ask a Question Thread

Guest Anonymous

Thunder: Hi! I fully agree with you! I needed a place to belong, more or less, and still do.

My form means a lot to both of us, so that's that! Narrating, hell, forcing can be so boring! Just do stuff with your tulpa, works out great.

It's pretty sweet when my host thinks he's in the wrong, but I.. wish he didn't. Solid advice you provided, though, keep it up!

So I believe this would go in Tips, if approved.

But the first most important thing you can do for a developing tulpa is have a place to put them.

Why? As tulpas don't have physical form, this feels to me a bit like having a place for your anger to go when you're not using it. (No! Don't eat with that! That's my angry spoon!)

I mean I guess that being able to point to a place might make them feel more real, but you can't point to a house in the wonderland unless you have a place to put your wonderland.

I'm all about imposition, but not everybody is. For people who see tulpas more as members of a multiple system, do they have places for their tulpas to be? It seems like if they did, they would also have to have places for all non-tulpa headmates. I don't have a place for myself to be, except in my physical body. I guess if I put Fenchurch in the back of my head, then I'd have to confine myself to the spot an inch behind my left eye, or something like that.

The next important thing I would argue is a specific form. Some people think you should give a tulpa a generic form or a ball of light while starting out until they pick something more specific. I disagree with that strategy.

I agree with you here. According to the poll, not one tulpa has disliked being given a form from the beginning. The majority of the tulpas polled were given a form, and they all seemed to like it. Plus, having a form does make things easier on the host.

You interact with it. Don't give it a window to your subconscious right away; that shit is terrifying. Don't just leave it alone and hope it grows into something. Talk to it, share what you're seeing with it, make it feel cared for. I don't care if you have problems seeing it or worry that you're just parroting it.

Agreed.

And don't always narrate to it. How are they going to talk if they can't get a word in edgewise? Yeah, they may just sit there silently for a while. Or maybe they don't talk for weeks. It'll eventually happen, trust me.

I believe most people take breaks from narration on occasion.

Another thing, don't treat it like it's a separate thing from day one. Don't disbelieve, mind you, but keep in mind there's business to be done here. A tulpa needs its hand held starting out. They need to learn how to talk, even how to think in a way separate from you. Because a tulpa is you; just a part of you that didn't exist until recently. But a part of the same organism, a part that lives inside the series of tubes in a way that it can interact with all these other tubes as if it weren't part of the tubes itself. Just keep that in mind.

That's an interesting way of looking at things, and I like it.

And don't worry so damn much that you're doing something wrong.

For sure.

So yeah, for the most part I like this guide. I'm just not really getting the "have a place" bit. More clarification would be appreciated.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

Coming from someone who has a wonderland and always visualizes his tulpas when they speak, mine are perfectly fine with existing in the "void" of mindspace. Of course they're not the most want-to-be-human of tulpas either, they have no interest in doing things just to do things. The wonderland and our experiences in it have all been for bonding or raising our moods.

I don't feel like I "need to have somewhere to put my tulpas", but one, I've been told I'm doing them a disservice by allowing them to exist in a void, and two, I personally believe it's more fun to have a place to mentally physically spend time together. I mean, I don't agree with one, but I've been told it enough times it's probably worth saying.

Oh I haven't said anything about the OP yet. I more or less agree with everything else, and considering Icelabe's post I'm going to say this is probably a helpful enough thread to be worth noting.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Responses are by Noriko.

But the first most important thing you can do for a developing tulpa is have a place to put them.

Why? As tulpas don't have physical form, this feels to me a bit like having a place for your anger to go when you're not using it. (No! Don't eat with that! That's my angry spoon!)

I'm all about imposition, but not everybody is. For people who see tulpas more as members of a multiple system, do they have places for their tulpas to be? It seems like if they did, they would also have to have places for all non-tulpa headmates. I don't have a place for myself to be, except in my physical body. I guess if I put Fenchurch in the back of my head, then I'd have to confine myself to the spot an inch behind my left eye, or something like that.

Ever wonder what part of your head Fenchurch lives in? Does she have the whole head or she is she localized in a particular spot? Her consciousness is driven by a collection of neurons just as yours is. So although she has no physical form, she does have a physical setting in the brain.

A tulpa can go their whole lives without thinking about or caring about this. Sabari is a prime example. As can the host, as he claims to reside in the entire organism over a particular part. But if you start off saying "ok, the tulpa is here", then you have a fair number of advantages. You have a place to send energy and thoughts to if you use symbolism. You have a place to look for pressures and activity if you look for such things. You have a physical grounding for your tulpas machination to aid in belief. That's why I feel it is important.

I should also add that although my core existence is in one place, I have connections to various other parts which could potentially count as sub parts of me, which I added over my life span. So the tulpa part of your brain can grow over time. And it does not seem to overwrite anything of the hosts; rather, it grows along side what's in the host already, connecting where necessary.

As for multiple systems, you can define one place where you say they exist, or multiple places. One part can have one place while several other parts can share the same place. In my experience the underlying hardware cares little for consistency in this regard.

I believe most people take breaks from narration on occasion.

True, true. I mainly meant to say to not overdo it.

-------------------------------------------------

Coming from someone who has a wonderland and always visualizes his tulpas when they speak, mine are perfectly fine with existing in the "void" of mindspace. Of course they're not the most want-to-be-human of tulpas either, they have no interest in doing things just to do things. The wonderland and our experiences in it have all been for bonding or raising our moods.

I don't feel like I "need to have somewhere to put my tulpas", but one, I've been told I'm doing them a disservice by allowing them to exist in a void, and two, I personally believe it's more fun to have a place to mentally physically spend time together. I mean, I don't agree with one, but I've been told it enough times it's probably worth saying.

Well, I wouldn't say it's a void per se. A terrible analogy would be comparing a tulpa with an indeterminate location to a file on a hard drive. You know how to access it, but you have no clue where it is physically on the disk.

Noriko was created on December 15, 2014.  Sabari was created by Noriko on January 22, 2015.

Anzu was reborn on May 23, 2016.  Xiri returned on June 16, 2018.  Both had been inactive since 2012.

I must admit, the location thing confuses me slightly as well. You're talking about a physical space in your brain which you assign to your tulpa, rather than an imagined space like a wonderland, right? It's interesting, because a lot of people will say that it, at least, feels as if that's true for them. I guess I'm not that convinced of its benefits, but with the explanation you give here:

if you start off saying "ok, the tulpa is here", then you have a fair number of advantages. You have a place to send energy and thoughts to if you use symbolism. You have a place to look for pressures and activity if you look for such things. You have a physical grounding for your tulpas machination to aid in belief. That's why I feel it is important.

makes it a little clearer. So I'd say move that up into the guide itself.

And yeah, approved for Tips.

I updated the post with that info. Thanks for the suggestion.

About the place to put them: how you first lead into it isn't all that bad. The part about the physical brain placement does seem to imply that you actually put a tupper there, which well, obviously isn't the case. We do tend to feel a tupper in certain parts of our head, but it's not like you can put anything in a certain place for real. Considering how easily people here believe anything anyone says, it might be better to clear that up right away before they get the wrong ideas.

Well how else is something that doesn't exist going to come into existence if you don't have any place to put it?!

And then you say stuff like this. That's saying "if you don't give them a place, you don't get a tupper!", which is just plain wrong and a very bad thing to say in a guide.

Form, instead of just arguing why someone should do it without giving them options isn't very helpful for the people who find a form distracting when forcing. You're only going to make themselves think they can't do this because they do things differently. Even if you think one thing, give us an option. "You don't have to if you don't think it's working" or something.

Don't give it a window to your subconscious right away; that shit is terrifying.

What is my subconscious? If you mean my unconscious thoughts, not much I can do to stop a tupper from noticing them if they notice them, just like I myself might notice them from time to time. And why is that terrifying? Nice job causing people to be scared of scaring their tupper due to doing something "wrong", this is the kind of stuff that makes people ask "is it bad that I fell asleep during forcing?". Don't assume your own experiences happen to everyone, like with the guy whose tulpa was scared of them falling asleep during forcing because it ended up being scary when it happened. Guess what, they pretty much ended up being the only ones who had that happen to them. But by warning people of it and making it seem like a thing, it made people scared of it ever happening. Years after, we still get people asking about it!

The funny thing is that you address the worrying at the end (very well might I add), yet you cause unnecessary fears yourself with this writing of yours.

Also protip:

For a forum about invisible head ghosts, there isn't much in the way of things where the head ghosts themselves talk about their creation. I'd like to remedy that with my own opinions on the matter.

Make a thread anywhere that is for tuppers. Congratulations, a thread for tuppers to talk about tupper stuff.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Huh, I felt those things too but for some reason didn't comment on either. I guess I'm not critical enough of others' work, but that's literally why I don't criticize people.

By the way, you know your signature links have been dead for well over a year, right Sands?

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

By the way, you know your signature links have been dead for well over a year, right Sands?

Yes, now they are just a memory of anonmgur. Good night, sweet prince. Moment of silence, please.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)