Watching all “imaginary friend” movies.

jean-luc

I hear that IMDB's tagging is impressively good, eg. if you want to find every movie that has quicksand, you can. So, I decided I wanted to watch every movie involving thoughtforms/tulpas/whatever, and while the “tulpa” keyword only has 5 movies, “imaginary-friend” has 237 results.

Conveniently, many of these movies are horror movies, and it just so happens to be Spooktober.

Some of them I've already seen. For those, and future ones I watch, I'll give a brief summary of how the movies relates to “imaginary friends”

WARNING: POTENTIAL SPOILERS

[hidden]

- Fight Club: The two main characters are actually part of the same system.

- Inside Out: Most of the movie focuses on characters within the main character's brain, meant to represent the different emotions.

- Ratatouille: The main character aspires to be a chef, and has a tulpa of a famous dead chef. Got imposition down and everything!

- I am legend: I've seen this one, but I don't remember any imaginary friends… I'll have to watch it again.

[/hidden]

This does not represent any kind of commitment. I'm planning on doing this but no promises.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it might be courteous to add spoilers to the movie descriptions for the ones with plots that don't outwardly center around the imaginary friend/tulpa aspect. Even though I think everyone has probably seen Fight Club by now. It's been 17 years, guys.

I also don't remember any imaginary friends in I am Legend, and I saw part of it not long ago on TV, actually.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Yeah I already had fight club spoiled for me (not that I was ever going to watch it), but at that time I heard someone else complain that that was a major spoiler, I think. So you should put spoiler tags around the ones that could be spoilers (ie, not Inside Out..)

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Drop Dead Fred may count.

Although a crazy Carrot-Top wannabe trapped in a box who "sees" his own imaginary friends as the movie progresses may only be tangentially relevant to chalupas at best.

There is also an Italian horror film named TULPA, wherein some crazy fuck decides to get into something he doesn't know/control while encountering gratuitous amounts of tits and gore, which is always great to see.

I've seen good people bleed

And I thought I'd seen it all

But my own two eyes would prove me wrong that day.

There are things that I've done

Only seen by the sun

And those things will be buried in my grave.

I Am Legend is tagged because there are a couple scenes where he talks to mannequins out of loneliness.

In one of the scenes, the mannequins have been mysteriously moved around and he freaks out thinking they are actually alive.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

Host: SubCon | Tulpas: Sol, Luna, Alice, Little One, Beast and Solune (me) | Servitors: Odonata, Guardian

I think it might be courteous to add spoilers to the movie descriptions for the ones with plots that don't outwardly center around the imaginary friend/tulpa aspect. Even though I think everyone has probably seen Fight Club by now. It's been 17 years, guys.

But see the problem is, even the very fact that imaginary friends are somehow involved with the movie is itself a spoiler, although a less direct one.

I suppose I can put something at the top.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

But see the problem is, even the very fact that imaginary friends are somehow involved with the movie is itself a spoiler, although a less direct one.

Yeah, but certainly not as bad as the part explaining the relatedness. I kind of figured the black bar spoilers would be the most reasonable, because at least they would see the titles and be able to decide whether they want that movie spoiled. I think most people will click the section spoiler whether they want movies spoiled or not, if it's basically the whole content of the post. But eh. Didn't mean to turn the thread into Spoiler Etiquette or anything.

Yeah I already had fight club spoiled for me (not that I was ever going to watch it)

I'd definitely recommend it. I think it's a pretty good movie, even without the twist. But I know it's not for everyone, either.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

I pretty much just don't watch movies in general.

For the spoilering of various extents, just do what tvtropes does. If there's no spoilers on a specific tag, no spoiler text. If the spoiler is the description of the tag, spoiler text that. If the tag itself (or title in this case I guess?) is a spoiler, then you spoiler tag the whole thing.

But I mean, having the fact that a movie is imaginary-friend related spoiled is at least equivalent to never knowing about the movie in the first place right? I'd say just hide the descriptions if they're spoilery and that's all.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

One I noticed that's not on here is that movie Birdman from like 2014, it's about this former superhero actor who's effectively got a tulpa of the superhero he used to play.

We're all gonna make it brah.