Definition of Thoughtform

I'm writing a book that deals with Tulpas and other thoughtforms.. I've been trying to find a good definition of thought forms.. I dont like the definitions I'm finding on Dictionary sites.. I'm hoping someone can help me with a good working definition in words that encompasses the spirit of tulpas and such like ideas.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't believe the things I say just because I tell you.. Test these things and prove them to yourselves so that you know them to be true. ~The Buddha

Old definition: A hallucinatory object, such as a glass of beer you thought you had in your hand.

New definition: A mental object that behaves to some degree beyond your control. AKA it persists even when you look away, it does things you did not expect or tell it to.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

I'd just say something along the lines of "a mental being or object created in the imagination through visualization techniques and a strong will", but that wording might be poor. I checked .io's glossary to see if their definition was decent and I was left feeling pretty disappointed.

The main problem with the current dictionary definition of thoughtforms, is it is a new definition based on tulpas.

Thoughtforms as a term has a history that actually stems from Theosophy. It is used as a go-to term for translating related concepts in Buddhism. As this is the most common use, it has effectively erased earlier uses.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.