Zero

Was this guide helpful for you?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Was this guide helpful for you?

• Yes
    • No

Question

It's time.

I've seen a LOT of tulpaforcers (experienced and inexperienced) who always ask the same question: "What do I talk about when I narrate to my tulpa?"

To some, it's easy. To others, it's awkward. And to others, it's damn near impossible to go past "hey" "hey" "how u doin" "gud u?" "gud" "k"

That's why I'm writing this. Having had trouble with visualization from the beginning, I always focused on things to do to make narration easier. Also, these exercises may help improve your tulpa's vocality (how well you can hear them/how distinct their mindvoice is from yours) but there's no guarantee of that. Keep in mind that these are all things to try and not things to do. That's what a guide is, right?

I will be breaking down this post by explaining each technique separately. They will be ordered like this:

- For beginners/easy/safe to do

- For intermediates/tricky/not so safe

- DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME EVER

Also, before we start, I would like to note that I break "Narration" down into 3 separate things:

- Narration (talking to your tulpa)

- Conversation (talking with your tulpa)

- Auto-suggestion (talking to yourself)

This means that not every exercise in this guide will be for vocality only. Some autosuggestion stuff helps imposition, and some stuff is also not so much forcing as much as having fun with your tulpa. I find it important that forcers can clearly differentiate between forcing and spending time with your tulpa. Sure, spending time with them helps them develop, but you don't always need to see it as a progress-oriented thing. They're your friends, after all. Therefore, this guide will give you both progress-oriented exercises, and fun things to do with them. And I've said this before, but keep in mind - A guide is only a guideline. It's not a tutorial - don't take it literally, take it as a suggestion or idea and adapt it into something that works for you

Beginner Tips & Tricks

These are suggestions that anyone can do, at any time of the process. A vocal tulpa is recommended, but you can also parrot them into doing these exercises (some of them are even focused around parroting).

Echo Chambering

This is a nice little "game" you can do whenever you're bored, or whenever your tulpa is particularly hard to hear. Visualize yourself with your tulpa at a cliffside, surrounded by a bunch of mountains. You know those echoing cliffs you see in movies sometimes? If you went there with a friend, you'd obviously be yelling random stuff into those cliffs, then wait for a response, right? You have your tulpa do the same thing (and if they're already vocal, you can join them as encouragement) into the imaginary cliff. They yell something into it as loud as they can, and then expectation itself should allow the two of you to hear the echo. The goal is to make the echo as loud as possible, or to just yell into the cliff until you get tired of it.

The point: Having your tulpa yell stuff into the cliff will have you focused on their mindvoice for as long as they're doing so, and waiting for the echo will also help you "listen" better. I believe that for some people, it's not their tulpa that's the problem, but themselves. Whenever I listen to my tulpas, I try not to think at all, to give them space for their own thoughts. I believe this is what "listening" with your mind's ear is.

Echo Parroting

I've written a separate guide on this, but I figured I'd include it in this one as well, since it's relevant. Echo parroting is intended for tulpas who are vocal, but have a hard time using their mindvoice, or using a consistent mindvoice every time they talk.

The gist is this - they give you the "raw thought" or emotional intent that you need to understand them, without saying a thing, and you parrot it for them into a mindvoice suitable for them (or a mindvoice they want to use). You keep doing this until it becomes a near-automatic process, and continue doing it until you notice that, whenever they say something, you hear it twice - first will be them using their own mindvoice, followed by you parroting it - causing an "echo". You then work consciously on not parroting them anymore.

Some people have said this technique is bad, because it causes you to automatically parrot - however, you automatically parrot what THEY say as opposed to what YOU want them to say. In that respect, it shouldn't matter too much, and I personally had no trouble with "unlearning" the technique once I started hearing the echo.

The point: The idea here is the same as that of training wheels. When a child can't ride a bike on their own, you put training wheels on. Their training wheels prevent them from falling off their bike all the time, but they're aligned so that they're not completely straight - meaning that, when you see the child biking without the training wheels touching the ground, they're ready to have them taken off. Once they're taken off, it'll still take a while until they completely learn it due to psychological barriers, but they had that extra boost of safe practice beforehand. This technique uses the same principle.

Kickstart Parroting

This simple technique was mentioned in FAQ_Man's guide I believe, but I'd like to stress how useful it is in here. Often, in the mornings, I'll have trouble hearing my tulpa, or not even hear them at all. When that happens, I parrot them ONCE - as loud as I can - to get their mindvoice going. Once is generally all that's needed, but sometimes I need to do it twice or even three times. They generally react like someone who's being awoken, so my guess is that they're still in a half-asleep state and that's why they're having trouble talking.

The point: The idea here is to simply "wake your tulpa up" or give them that extra boost they need to get their vocality going in the mornings. It's nothing hard or special, but sometimes i'll see tulpaforcers going "GAIS HALPE MAI TUPPERE NO SPEEK TO ME ALL DEY ;____;;" and if you ask them to parrot their tulpa once they'll most likely hear them again.

Shower Counts

This is for tulpaforcers who aren't shy/prude with their tulpas. I take a shower every day, and I hope you do too. Incidentally (especially for people with multiple tulpas, that sometimes forget about some of them) showers are the best time of day to acknowledge your tulpa. Every time I take a shower, I'll have some small talk with my tulpas - how are you, did you sleep well, is there anything you wanna do today, etc.

The point: I believe it's best to hold all small talk narration in one part of the day, and try to refrain from small talk outside of that. Also, if you associate talking to your tulpa with an everyday activity, it will incorporate your tulpa into your everyday life and make them feel more real, as well as their presence feel more natural.

The Last Letter Word Game

Man I love this game. Keep in mind that with a tulpa, this game goes at very insane speeds - much faster than it would with a human. So, sometimes you might lose track of what's happening, and you shouldn't feel afraid to ask for a time-out to start again. That being said, everybody's different, and it might go at a regular or slow pace with you and your tulpa. I really don't want to see someone try this and say "OMG IT WENT SLOW FOR ME AND MY TULPA R THEY FAEK?". Subjectivity. Keep it in mind.

The gist here is that you say a word, and your tulpa says the first word that comes to mind upon hearing your word, then you reply with the first word that comes to mind for you, etc. You're not allowed to repeat words, meaning that whoever repeats a word, talks gibberish or doesn't know what to say loses. If you want to, you can include dares for the loser (meaning that whoever wins has to tell the loser to do something embarassing/weird/etc.) though this isn't a necessity and it depends on the relationship between you and your tulpa. In fact - you can create any set of rules to make this game more fun or challenging. If anyone didn't get what you're supposed to do, here's an example:

Zero: "shirt"

Ea: "pants"

Zero: "legs"

Ea: "anatomy"

Zero: "biology"

Ea: "society"

Zero: "clothes"

Ea: "shirt"

Zero: "lel u lose make me a sandwich kthx"

Basically, just tossing words at each other until someone screws up.

The point: It's fun.

The Rating Game

This is a game for horrible people. Take a walk around the block, preferably along crowded areas, and start rating people with your tulpa. So, if you're a straight male and your tulpa is a straight female, you both rate both genders. If you and your tulpa are lesbian females, you rate women only, etc. It may sound bad, but it's a game I used to do with both male and female friends and it's actually pretty fun.

The point: It helps you and your tulpa get to know each other's tastes, and you also automatically get food for conversation because you're bound to disagree at some point (you rate someone 3 and they rate them 7 or something) and start discussing about it.

Tips & Tricks For More Experienced Forcers

All the tips in here expect of you to have a vocal tulpa who is parallel to some degree (a.k.a. independent, doesn't need to have full parallel processing but can do their own stuff without your consent/observation).

The Suggestive Door Method

Probably not a new method, but I personally added autosuggestion to it to help improve it's effects.

What you do here is stand in front of a door (for the love of god be home alone when you do this) and repeat to yourself (preferably out loud) 3 times "When I open the door, will be on the other side". Then you visualize your tulpa on the other side, and SLOWLY (NOTE: DO THIS

SLOWLY

AT FIRST) open the door. do this slowly ok

Keep repeating this until you're absolutely sure that your tulpa is on the other side. Once you're absolutely sure that if you open the door, you will see your tulpa, you start opening it faster. After all, you don't need to be slow - they're already there, why would you take such a long time to open the door for your tulpa?

The point: The idea here is to convince yourself that your tulpa is there. The more you can do to build up tension, the better. I would sit down, imagine a knock on the door, get up while repeating the mantra (auto-suggestion line) to myself and place my hand on the handle, bracing myself to see my tulpa for the first time, and then open the door very slowly. After a while I would do so faster and more naturally, and that same day it was like my tulpa was around me all day. Obviously you shouldn't do what I did - do what you think will convince you best. It's about conviction and certainty - be SURE that you will see your tulpa, don't HOPE you will see them but KNOW you will see them.

Note: By now, I hope you understand that the auto-suggestion line I gave you can be altered to whatever fits your needs. It doesn't have to be my exact suggestion. Just something that convinces you. If you didn't already realize this, slap yourself right now.

Noise Narration

I got this idea from roflmao on IRC, and basically he said that talking to his tulpas while listening to other noise made their voice clearer afterwards. I tested this and it worked for me (using different types of noise, such as music, white/pink noise, isochronic tones and Eye-Bo, the Ocular Fitness program) so I believe it's worth trying.

The method is simple - just put on your headphones, turn on something that makes noise, and talk to your tulpas while listening to it.

The point: I believe this works because you tend to try to ignore what you're hearing physically to hear your tulpas better. In a way, it's a form of simple sensory dissociation. I also believe that's why this has worked best for me during Eye-Bo (since I not only have isochronics pulsing in my ears, but also strobes pulsing in front of my eyes, depriving me of two senses).

You can download Eye-Bo here for free.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, EVER

Why did I even come up with this shit?

The Chaotic Mindvoice Exercise

In trying to come up with sentience tests, I experimented a lot with different things. However, I soon realized that there is no true sentience test - you can only know for sure your tulpa is not you if they give you an overwhelming amount of small bits of evidence. Surprising you once on one day isn't special - but if you look back a year, and think of all the times they surprised you - suddenly they seem more real. This was one of those sentience tests I came up with, and though it doesn't prove sentience, it /does/ boost vocality (it did for me, and a few others who tried it).

You know when you've got a song stuck in your head, and no matter how much you try, you can't get it to stop playing until you listen to it? You're going to make use of that. Have your tulpa say something (a sentence, a word, anything) and "loop" it in your mind. If they don't know how to, wait until you've got a song stuck in your head, and tell them to mimic that. If done correctly, it should eventually stay "looped" - meaning that it keeps playing, even without the tulpa consciously making it play.

Once you've got the first loop down, add another one, and then a third. Three should be fine - you should get to a point where you're hearing so much stuff in your mind that thinking itself is hard. Now, with these three loops of your tulpa's mindvoice playing in your mind, try having a conversation with them for as long as possible. Once you can't take it anymore, have them try to remove the loop, and if it doesn't work, listen to some music for a while, or watch a few Youtube videos.

The point: The original idea was "You get so overwhelmed with your tulpa's mindvoice that denying their existence would be dumb." However, even if you can't recreate the effect yourself, that doesn't mean you truly can't recreate that effect yourself. Frontloading and whatnot. So, having failed as a test, it did become a great way to exercise mindvoice. Every time my tulpas turned off the loops, I could hear them much better and clearer - without having expected that to happen. I guess hearing them more makes you more prone to hear them?

Fear Forcing

Coming Soon

I've written all of this in one go, and I hadn't documented most of these techniques elsewhere. I'll finish it soon.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hey Zero, TL;DR can be found at the end of this post. But to be honest, only giving concise statements without alternatives to improve the tips and tricks compilation would just be catering to militant criticism (and not constructive) on guides/tips and tricks/etc. That’s not what I’m here to do…or at least not what GAT is here to do…anyway:

Pretty solid compilation of tips and tricks you’ve made here. Even though it’s clear that you’re planning to add more stuff in the future, I’ll just give a critique either way since you don’t mind. The overall impression is:

Negatives:

Keep in mind that these are all things to try and not things to do. That's what a guide is, right?

You don’t really need to reinforce what a guide is so much. If the reader is incompetent to notice that, that’s their fault. This is something I made a habit of doing in other guides/articles I mentioned (still trying to improve on that). So I agree with what waffles stated in #tulpa.GAT with not trying to cram “THIS IS A GUIDE,” “THIS IS A GUIDE…KAY REMEMBER??!”

Use a disclaimer and put it on top to save the repetition.

• Beginner| Intermediate | Advanced or Expert, not “DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME EVER”. Maybe you wanted to be comical and upbeat overall in this, but maybe you should strip that phrase out.

• The Kickstart Parroting, honestly, is just another word for Conversation Starters/Ice breakers for Starting Meaningful Conversations.

• Since you’re mostly catering to newcomers/beginners, you may have to be more vicarious in their position on some activities you’re mentioning.

__

Positives:

• The purpose of the tips and tricks handbook is stated clearly: Providing ways for everyone to experiment with narrating, having conversations with their tulpa, and such.

• The overall mindset of the guide with the implication (correct me if I’m wrong here) that one should see things less of a chore and more as playful and engaging conversations/discussions with their tulpa is mentioned. This is probably just a matter of disposition, but the more people see others implement this mindset in guides/tips and tricks/compilations/etc., the better.

• You broke down the tips and tricks into three stages of difficulty/experience, which is definitely useful in informing newcomers and even veterans of how each activity can stack onto each other. It’s also useful for the progress-orientated format you’re going for as well.

• You broke down Narration into 3 aspects which I believe can reduce confusion for newcomers, good thing you mentioned that. Some people forget the subtle but major distinction with “talking to” and “talking with” your tulpa.

• The guide is pretty straight-forward and definitely comprehensible (but may need improvements on connecting things better).

Now, allow me to give more detailed responses:

On Echo Parroting

In that respect, it shouldn't matter too much, and I personally had no trouble with "unlearning" the technique once I started hearing the echo.

I think this piece of information is definitely crucial in mentioning for this activity. Simply because in the initial stages, “Echo parroting” is useful for the sake of militantly training one’s ability to imagine their tulpa’s mind-voice better.

But when the person becomes proficient in the technique and wants to try another one, there may be a cognitive dissonance between shifting from old to new. And it’s good that you acknowledged indirectly on how one can “unlearn” the technique to prevent incongruent thoughts that may lead to doubt (i.e. parroting syndrome).

And since habits take time to change (i.e. learning to unlearn), this activity may be a mix between an intermediate and advanced level. Perhaps more on the intermediate level since things can get hectic depending on whether or not the host knows this activity should be used as a transient mode of progress.

Of course, the difficulty for this activity varies for each individual, but since you put this in the category of “Beginner Tips & Tricks,” maybe you could emphasize a little more on how this technique may require the individual to see it as more transient than the other progress-oriented activities.

So in short for this part of the tips and tricks handbook:

• If you choose to keep this activity in the beginner level, maybe emphasize more on how this technique can go both ways in difficulty to be more vicarious of the newcomer’s position in reading this. I know a lot of things should be implied and obvious, but just a short mention of that can make the difference for newcomer’s.

• If you choose to move it to intermediate or even advanced levels, suggestion one stated above wouldn’t be needed since it would be a “goes without saying” implication if the individual has enough experience with vocality.

On Kickstart Parroting:

When I was reading how you gave the brief anecdote on how mornings go for you when trying to communicate with your tulpa:

• This can be a useful application in symbolism for beginners who may not have their tulpa’s “presence” apparent to them. Simply because from observing this at a psychological standpoint, the brief reinforcement of “kick-starting” the conversation is helpful for feedback loops and such.

And this technique in particular can have a long-term gradual effect, and I feel maybe you can add common phrases (e.g. “Good morning,” “Ready for the day guys/girls?” “Ugh, “Another Monday eh –tulpa’s name--?” into this as well. I know this should be implied, but with the morning anecdote you gave, this can be used to your advantage here.

Simply because those subtle declarations and the host going through the mannerisms of the tulpa having the same grogginess/half-awake state/etc. as the host if they wake up may make the difference in acknowledging their existence/presence more.

• As progress stacks on with combining this technique with others:

Logic follows that if one were to make a habit of saying these things, it would be more of finding useful “icebreakers” for initiating meaningful conversations. So maybe the term “Kick-starting Parroting” shouldn’t really be used for that. The mechanic behind it makes sense (and both are basically the same), but the connotation behind the word “parroting” might have mixed views.

However, I acknowledge that it’s a matter of each individual’s disposition on the wording between “Kickstart Parroting” vs. Ice Breakers/Conversation Starters. Some people won’t take it so seriously, but with how you formatted this for beginner’s, emphasizing to the reader on how using conversation starters or ice breakers for meaningful conversation in the morning/afternoon/etc. can make the difference.

• In fact, since this technique you’re mentioning is more brief and transient than the others, maybe it could be used in tandem with the other sections you have (e.g. echo parroting or even echo chambering). It’s not really a huge suggestion, just my insight on this.

Also, this is just nitpicking, but depending on what level of “professionalism” staff wants to implement in the guides section:

This part,

"….but sometimes i'll see tulpaforcers going "GAIS HALPE MAI TUPPERE NO SPEEK TO ME ALL DEY ;____;;"

Maybe you could explain this in a different manner. Of course, this doesn’t really affect the tips and tricks handbook whatsoever in my opinion. I’m just suggesting this in advance for whatever model or mindset the staff may want guides to exhibit in the near future.

On Shower Counts:

I understand the process behind this activity, so no responses to that. However, for “The Point,” I guess it’s a matter of opinion, but I still think “small talk” or “conversation starters” can be used at any time, especially for beginners.

I can understand that showers are one of the best moments for privacy since no one will bother you, but maybe you could give a different explanation for “The Point” instead of suggesting one should save all “small talk.”

I’m only mentioning this because you have it in the beginner’s section, and sometimes the “small talk” is all the beginner/newcomer will have before they can shift into more engaging conversations. The same reason behind the logic of the “Kickstart Parroting” as well.

However, if you shifted this into the Intermediate level, this wouldn’t be needed since the user should be able to have a decent conversation with their tulpa. The “small talk” or “laconic responses” can be useful so the host doesn’t take for granted on those subtle conversations.

In short:

• When being vicarious in the newcomer’s position, those laconic responses can make the difference. So maybe mention this technique as being a supplement to their presumed progress of being resourceful with the small talk/conversation starters, etc.

• When being vicarious to someone moderately or very experienced in vocality and narration, you would have to change the wording a bit to fit their mindset. Since it would be implied they would have experience in longer conversations with their tulpa, they may or may not take the small talk for granted. So the intent for having this activity in the intermediate level would be consistent to your purpose of having these progress-orientated activities that can stack onto each other.

On the Rating Game

This is just a nitpicking, but :

"This is a game for horrible people. Take a walk around the block, preferably along crowded areas, and start rating people with your tulpa. So, if you're a straight male and your tulpa is a straight female, you both rate both genders. If you and your tulpa are lesbian females, you rate women only, etc. It may sound bad, but it's a game I used to do with both male and female friends and it's actually pretty fun."

I know you were just providing examples that one should consider to practice this activity, but the sexuality and gender inclination within them might offend some individuals who may take the example the wrong way.

TL;DR:

I won’t go into the other "advanced" aspects for now, since the critique will be the same. You can still keep the upbeat spirit here, but it’s mostly just reducing the “HNNGGH HUR DUR GUISE” and explaining it a little bit more maturely.

Other than that, will have to see what you’re going to add in the future to see how things can be connected to the “progress-oriented” activities you’re trying to stack onto each other. It’s clear you know these activities don’t have to be followed in chronological order though, and it’s merely your disposition.

LinkZelda pretty much covered it all, it'd be rather pointless for me to go into heaps of details about each exercise after all of that. I pretty much agree with LinkZelda, especially the part about reducing the "HNNGGH HUR DUR GUISE".

I do appreciate compilations of easy techniques like this. I wish something so simple had existed and was easy to find when I had started. Getting your tulpa involved in something engaging is critical to those first days and exercises like these can be really helpful.

Even as someone who has tried most of these or similar variants that didn't stop me from playing a game of word association (The Last Letter Word Game) with Noah, my own tulpa. Somehow after maybe one hundred words I trapped him in a corner and stumped him with no way out but to repeat my word. Little games like this can be fun and helpful for tulpa of any age.

On the rating game, it is an idea that can expanded upon quite easily and it doesn't have to be cruel at all. Instead of judging from a purely sexual standpoint you can evaluate people in other ways. We all judge the people we see, why not compare what we think to what our tulpa thinks. I learned that Noah is quite the optimist when it comes to looking at other people, at least more than I am. The homeless looking guy? Come up with a story to explain why he's homeless. The woman with three kids and no husband around? Try and guess what the father looks like? Pick someone and try to guess how much money they are carrying?

Looking for and creating little details with your tulpa gives you something to do with the bonus of greatly improving your observation skills. People are complicated and if your surrounded by them there is always something to talk about.

Anyway. Nice guide. It got me talking with my tulpa so it did it's job. Hopefully it helps out some other people too.

Excelent guide as well, i actually found a variation of the rating exercice, i actually do the same thing to the musics i hear with my tulpas, i hear a music directed at them, then at the end i ask them to rate the music and explain why they chosen that rating, and i really feel this exercice is helping them develop their opinions and yeah a few times i already started to have a few surprises about them not liking a few musics i liked a lot :) Also their reasons for the rating for each music seem to be quite variated and i don't notice much repetition, so i definetly recommend the rating exercice even tough at the time i just figured it out myself. Altough this is only possible because my tulpas are "semi-vocal" and i am partially using possession for their answers, not sure how this would work in completly non-vocal tulpas.

What comes to the "noise narration", i find it useful, but mostly due to other reasons. I find that the voice of my tuppers just tends to occupy whatever space the noise doesn't, operating on different levels of frequency, stereo spectrum & presence, merely sounding complementary rather than overriding. I either need something even more static & wall-like to drown out my own thoughts, but so far the part about sensory dissociation has been a moot point for me.

Might possibly be affected by musical practice, because it's similar to using imagination to train an ear for harmony and dynamics - whenever imagining a textural sound collage or piece (not necessarily musical) my ear tries to learn to adapt into a pleasant aural communism-styled clarity and this practice seems to be slipping into mindvoice practices too.

..Oh, right, i do have an exception that brings me to the Echo Chambering part. Siri has sometimes managed to do some aural overriding by dicking around with her voice, in a method that actually sounds somewhat consistent with the Echo Chambering you presented; she made her voice sound reverse-reverbrated (Common movie/vidya hi-fantasy sound effect, booming echo preceding speech, refer to any Protoss unit speaking in Starcraft) and this was also during heavy cardio practice which made it pretty impressive. Judging from the consistency with your method, i'd say it's a really good practice. Both seem to have the purpose of making the voice more louder and imposing, might b laff if your tuppers otherwise have voices that

spread aural cream wherever they touch and cover all the competing sound stimuli in flowers and baby oil

Rating Game - Hah, so us. The context and topic aren't always as sexual and judgemental even though that's probably the most entertaining type, but absolutely fun still.

I have experienced variations & combinations of both Chaotic Mindvoice looping and the Fear example, they both amp up intensity and thus work, based on my own experiences. I want to hear your explaination on the latter one soon though, fear might be good but also susceptible to intrusive thoughts.

Showers and smalltalk... pfft, every shower conversation must be psychology-related which then progresses into a sparsely worded Freudian slip into something more uncomfortable and then some awkward silence and aversion of eye contact.

tell the rapper what i'm gonna do with all this money

Helpful tips and examples worded in a guide-ish manner, I'd approve this. Also overly dramatic examples of someone else's stupidity are always allowed, that's life.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)