Give me things to write!

jean-luc

So I've been learning Plover (typing system like what court typists use) recently and while I've gotten to the point where I can actually type some things (but I still have to look up every other word), however I am horrendously slow. I keep going on the IRC wanting to chat but I type so slowly that by the time I'm finally finish whatever I'm typing the conversation has moved on to another topic, and I'm replying to a message you'd have to scroll up to see.

I need to write things to practice, but slowly.

I also managed to |accidentally post this because I thought my keyboard was in plover mode when in fact it was in normal-keyboard mode and some of the keys used in plover mode are tab and enter. Most of this post was written using plover but then I gave because OMFG it can be so frustrating sometimes it's like my thought process is being stopped by a fucking keyboard.

Give me things to write. Ask about Plover. Expect slowly written responses.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The entire script of the bee movie.

Do it.

Doc: Childhood friend turned servitor gone rogue turned host who's bad at feeling emotions.

Meti: Overly lewd Tupper.

CT, who is also called Jeremy: Original personality whose default emotion is anger.

I'm too lazy to look up Plover. Is it anything like Dvorak? I tried to learn to type with Dvorak and it was a lot of fun, but I decided my eight years' experience typing qwerty would never be beat.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

I'm too lazy to look up Plover. Is it anything like Dvorak? I tried to learn to type with Dvorak and it was a lot of fun, but I decided my eight years' experience typing qwerty would never be beat.

No, Plover uses fewer keys so fingers don't have to move as much. A Plover keyboard looks like this:

board.png

Those can then be mapped on to a standard keyboard.

So you don't have to Google it: http://www.openstenoproject.org/

The entire script of the bee movie.

Do it.

Welllllllllllllll... Maybe.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

I forgot the most important part: You press multiple keys at once to make a "chord". Small and/or common words only need 1 chord, other words usually need about 1 chord per syllable.

Stenotype. Plover is open source stenotype.

Which is a chorded typing scheme. So you need multiple simultaneous keystrokes but fewer keys.

This.

None of them.

Oh, come on...

Okay then, quote a line of Shakespeare.

Also, you were right about there being a gyroscope in that copter. A tiny six axis. (Which I think means three gyros and three accelerometers.) The thing is still impossible to fly stably.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

I'm unreasonably opposed to that setup for Plover. At first I thought it had like a shift key for changing letters, which was pretty cool. But multiple at once? That sounds so needlessly complicated.

I could probably type faster with the same setup and two function keys for caps/different letters. My pinkies are exclusively for shift/ctrl/enter-type keys already anyways, and I have hundreds of hours rocket jumping (jump-crouching) in TF2 so I'm no stranger to holding them either.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.