Is form inhibiting sentience?

Guest Albatross_

Guest Albatross_

I'll try to keep this concise, here goes:

My tulpa, Octavia, has a dragon as her form. Her head comes up to the middle of my chest. Her eyes are nonhuman; there is no white, only pupil and slit iris (these things are relevant).

I'm 47 hours in and I have yet to see any indication of sentience. Now, the amount of time is not worrying me; Dane told me he didn't feel "jack squat" until 50 hours in with J. What worries me is that she may never become sentient because of her form. To elaborate:

Every tulpa we know of (except Kaiman) that is sapient and vocal (so that excludes Uzo) has a form whose parallel in real life is as well. Most of them are humanoid. Humans speak/are intelligent. A few are or were ponies. Ponies speak/are intelligent. There are various others whose real-life counterparts do not speak; and they have not spoken yet, to my knowledge. Even if they have, though, my point still stands.

My point here is, dragons generally don't speak in fiction -- at least in my mind. And that's what I'm worried about; if my subconscious doesn't believe that dragons are intelligent and/or vocal, it won't give Octavia an intelligent and/or vocal mind.

My question is, what do? Should I spend another 30 hours of visualization to give her a third, human form? Or should I stick it out for another 20 hours or so? Is this even something to worry about?

Advice/opinions welcome. Thanks for not tl;dr'ing.

Hey, he's vocal...ish. His speech just doesn't sound as external as I'd like it to.

Anyway, I can see how your prejudices could get in the way. In my case, at least, I watch too much animation with talking animals to think that Uzo could never talk, but it is harder to imagine. An animal with a snout has a much more animate mouth when speaking, which can be hard to picture sometimes. Maybe it would help if you looked at some movies with talking dragons and whatnot and really looked at how their mouths move or how their facial expressions make them look/act human. You could also use other animals like dogs as stand-ins if you can't find enough talking dragon movies.

It's not a good film, but Dragonheart has Sean Connery voicing a CGI dragon. Wouldn't you want Octavia to sound like Sean Connery?

Guest Albatross_

I watched a bit of that. It helped, I think.

I'd watch Eragon but Saphira's form is too close to Octavia's.

I'd like to say that all you need to do is know that she will become sentient and that it may take time, but I'm not sure that's the answer you want to hear.

While yeah, you may have some programming pertaining to how dragons are "supposed" to act, you need to try your hardest to throw it out and know that your tulpa is different, and that she will become sentient and vocal.

You could go with the whole thing from Eragon, the dragon speaks with it's mind... Maybe? Just thought you might consider it

Tulpa - Kaliea

Form: Human female

Sentience: Possibly

Stage -

Visualization: Done

Narration: Continuing

Touch: Almost Done

Smell: Yet to begin

Imposition: Yet to begin

Guest Albatross_

I'd watch Eragon but Saphira's form is too close to Octavia's.

Read all the books though.

Captain Nemo:

I know it will take time. I acknowledge that in the OP. I'm just worried that my sub-c beliefs will inhibit sentience.

So it looks like I go with option 1, which is sub-c reprogramming whilst continuing normal forcing.

Stop waiting for sentience and start treating Octavia as a sentient being. In the end you will know that she was too prideful to give any sign to clumsy human.

I don't understand this whole "waiting for sentience to pop up" thing. Your tulpa is sentient from the moment you imagined it. Don't make your path difficult with your own hands.

I'm just worried that my sub-c beliefs will inhibit sentience.

So quit worrying! :P

Like I said, it's easy to say that, I know. But as best you can, try to quit worrying. I do certainly know where you're coming from, though.

Guest Albatross_

Stop waiting for sentience and start treating Octavia as a sentient being. In the end you will know that she was too prideful to give any sign to clumsy human.

Octavia does not have the same personality as classy MLP Octavia.

Nemo: ok...

Thanks guise! I feel better now. If anyone has any other suggestions, though...

I wasn't considering MLP Octavia personality. This was my impression of how real dragon will react to little human staring at her. And by little I don't mean size. Usually dragons viewed as a source of immense power and wisdom, neutral to any other being. You know, for dragon kin 50 years aren't much to talk about, not 50 hours. Be it fox I am sure she would be already playing tricks on you hiding things and whispering naughty thoughts into your ear when boss/teacher/dad talks to you.