10,000 members!

Pleeb

I just realized that we have passed 10,000 members.

That's awesome :exclamation:

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

WE DID A THING!

Host: Cam (that's me!)

Appearance: Keeping that disclosed, too.

Tulpa: Toree (we're still working on the name; i'm bad at names)

Age: At least 3 days old (made her a tulpa on December 3rd, 2015)

Appearance: An anthro Luxray from pokemon with red fur instead of blue. A bit on the chubby side, and also rather tall. Wears robes a lot.

Certainly it's a big number, but I find it better to celebrate activity and progress in the forums rather than cheer about people who've been inactive for years.

Also it's good to see you posting Pleeb.

"Try to get a better understanding of things before making your judgement." -Khan, Metro 2033

How many of those are active though? Board statistics say 32.47% of members have posted, and even fewer than that would be the proportion of members that did more than post once and leave.

Actually, this is something I've thought about recently. Including all the different communities out there like reddit, 4chan, tumblr, here, the international forums, etc., how many people are have participated in modern tulpamancy? Hundreds? Thousands? What if you include or exclude people who started but never finished? It'd be impossible to get a full headcount, especially if you try to filter out roleplayers and the like, but it's interesting to think about.

My saying "modern tulpamancy" does bring up another thought I've had recently about that word, even if it off-topic from this thread. It seems to me like "tulpamancy" would refer to the actual process of making a tulpa, including imposition, narration, forcing, visualization, etc., but not for the modern tulpa phenomenon as a whole. I've heard "tulpism" thrown around a few times, which is a stupid-sounding word, but it would fill that linguistic niche in the community.

I don't know. Food for thought.

Guest Anonymous

How many members are actually tulpamancers? I am still not sure if I am a tulpamancer. In fact, if you take it to mean deliberately creating and finishing a tulpa, as described in the guides, I am definitely not a tulpamancer or practicing tulpamancy at all. I am much closer to a role player with vivid imagination and an imaginary friend. From the very start though, I felt I had something to contribute even if that is true. So does being a member have to mean you are a tulpamancer? Or are we talking about active members who post regardless of whether or not they are a tulpamancer?

It's just a raw statistic, guys. Not every subscriber on Youtube watches the videos someone puts out, and your birthday isn't really the day you get older, it's just an acknowledgement of time and growth that would otherwise never come up. No need to be so picky about it.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Guest Anonymous

Should we count number of tulpas into the membership count? LOL So we need to figure the average number of tulpas for each active member...

How many members are actually tulpamancers? I am still not sure if I am a tulpamancer. In fact, if you take it to mean deliberately creating and finishing a tulpa, as described in the guides, I am definitely not a tulpamancer or practicing tulpamancy at all. I am much closer to a role player with vivid imagination and an imaginary friend. From the very start though, I felt I had something to contribute even if that is true. So does being a member have to mean you are a tulpamancer? Or are we talking about active members who post regardless of whether or not they are a tulpamancer?

The modern tulpa phenomenon made a framework for others to make tulpa and lowered the "barrier to entry" by having a bunch of guides. However, it would have never come about if nobody had ever made "modern-style" tulpas before 2012. It's just that they made them using different methods and adapted them into the first guides by Irish and FAQ_Man.

I'm not as well-versed as other people on the forum with your situation, but I can say that tulpas come in a variety of different types. As long as it's a second (or third or nth) consciousness wholly separate from the host's while residing in the same mind, it could be considered a type of tulpa. Now this kind of gets into the distinction between tulpas and other types of multiplicity like DID (which is actually very different since it involves blackouts, the host not interacting with the other identities, etc), headmates (I don't know what tumblr is doing over here), soulbonding (really more mental method acting than anything else) whatever the daemon thing is (probably RPing, but whatever), etc.

I mean, you come here, you talk all the time between yourselves and with us as both of you. Maybe you could pretend to go back through and do the tulpa-making process with Melian to strengthen her position as a tulpa, or at least as a thought exercise for you two.

Still, for someone considers himself to not have a tulpa, even to the point that you're suggesting it could be role playing, you sure do have a lot of posts on this forum. But that's a can of worms I'd prefer not to open, at least not in this thread.

It's just a raw statistic, guys. Not every subscriber on Youtube watches the videos someone puts out, and your birthday isn't really the day you get older, it's just an acknowledgement of time and growth that would otherwise never come up. No need to be so picky about it.

I'm not trying to be picky; it's just that this milestone brought up thoughts that could have been had independent of the actual user count. Like I said, I actually was thinking of this very thing a few days ago, and I hadn't known about the user count approaching 10,000.

Guest Anonymous

Still, for someone considers himself to not have a tulpa, even to the point that you're suggesting it could be role playing, you sure do have a lot of posts on this forum. But that's a can of worms I'd prefer not to open, at least not in this thread.

Melian may be a tulpa and maybe not. I am just not sure yet and probably never will be. I am just honest about that. There sure are a lot of people, who seem awfully certain of themselves, that also think you have to have a tulpa to be a valuable member. I would argue you don't need to have a tulpa to contribute and be an active interested member and of value to the forum.

I mean, you come here, you talk all the time between yourselves and with us as both of you. Maybe you could pretend to go back through and do the tulpa-making process with Melian to strengthen her position as a tulpa, or at least as a thought exercise for you two.

I don't need to pretend to do anything just to please certain people about my status. That's stupid.