A few questions about imposition/hallucinations

garland

Keep in mind that i just make these questions because i don't know exactly how visualisation works exactly in a general way in the human mind, i know that it's not exactly the same for everyone so don't just asy that for me to do what i think it's right of is more comfortable because it will just have the same effect as me not creating this thread...

Also the main reason i make these questions is because doubts like this affect a LOT the motivation i have to make such commitment to achieve imposition, and i think it's maybe because i am not sure how this really works that i keep having these doubts and because of that it becomes INCREDIBLY frustrating and a heavy chore working on something i am not 100% sure i am doing it right, no matter how hard i try to believe it will work. Also because of that at the moment i am unable to do more than 10-15 minutes of visualization/imposing practicing.

1. For actual imposition/hallucinations to happen in long term, does it really matter if we practise in several small sessions (5-10m for example) or to achieve this faster we have to always do less and longer sessions (like 45-60minutes) along a day? This is VERY important to me, since i am unable to practise for more than 5-10m without it becoming a chore or starting to get frustated which makes concentration a lot harder and obviously the motivation drops to zero and it's quite hard practising this way.

2. I am one of those persons with that problem of only being able to render a circle in the center of point of view when visualizing mentally and with open eyes, is this a different skill than learning to make the mind accept hallucinations or it's possible to learn imposition even without practising to be able to "grow" the circle of rendering mental images?

3. For those that already are able to impose their tulpas, i would like to know if watching small colored sparks/light dots around objects edges in general way (specially when i am focused/concentraded after some minutes, also when i move my hand, i clearly see sparks as a "trail") could be any indication of near imposing or the mind being more receptive to hallucinations. I ask this because after all... most "normal" people i ask about this, they aren't able to see this so i presume this might be some kind of early forms of hallucinations, since i doubt this is normal optical illusions from the eyes (i hope).

Guest Anonymous

Also the main reason i make these questions is because doubts like this affect a LOT the motivation i have to make such commitment to achieve imposition, and i think it's maybe because i am not sure how this really works that i keep having these doubts and because of that it becomes INCREDIBLY frustrating and a heavy chore working on something i am not 100% sure i am doing it right, no matter how hard i try to believe it will work. Also because of that at the moment i am unable to do more than 10-15 minutes of visualization/imposing practicing.

Then you need to relax. Getting fed up with yourself will achieve nothing. Much of imposition is trial and error in finding a method that works for you.

Naturally I can only comment with what has worked for me.

1. For actual imposition/hallucinations to happen in long term, does it really matter if we practise in several small sessions (5-10m for example) or to achieve this faster we have to always do less and longer sessions (like 45-60minutes) along a day? This is VERY important to me, since i am unable to practise for more than 5-10m without it becoming a chore or starting to get frustated which makes concentration a lot harder and obviously the motivation drops to zero and it's quite hard practising this way.

No, session length does not matter so long as they add up to the same amount of time. Do what works for you. Myself, I've found passively imposing to work. I constantly visualize my tulpa following me throughout my day. She'll interact with the environment -- that is, hopping on desks, her image reflecting in windows, and generally distracting me. This has made imposition much, much more fun.

2. I am one of those persons with that problem of only being able to render a circle in the center of point of view when visualizing mentally and with open eyes, is this a different skill than learning to make the mind accept hallucinations or it's possible to learn imposition even without practising to be able to "grow" the circle of rendering mental images?

Yes, however you want to be good a visualizing before beginning imposition.

3. For those that already are able to impose their tulpas, i would like to know if watching small colored sparks/light dots around objects edges in general way (specially when i am focused/concentraded after some minutes, also when i move my hand, i clearly see sparks as a "trail") could be any indication of near imposing or the mind being more receptive to hallucinations. I ask this because after all... most "normal" people i ask about this, they aren't able to see this so i presume this might be some kind of early forms of hallucinations, since i doubt this is normal optical illusions from the eyes (i hope).

My guess would be the average Joe doesn't notice them. More receptive to hallucinations? Yes. Near imposing? That's hard to say.

I've come to think many users confuse what a hallucination is and how it comes about with imposition. Imposition involves getting your brain to override what your eyes see. JD1215's imposition guide elaborates upon this better than I ever could.

Many of the older guides for imposition are hell-bent on sessions and passive forcing is just a secondary thought. After a year of that and little progress I've begun to disagree. Imposition is similar to narration in the respect that you should be doing it throughout the day. Your tulpa should be integrated with your life.

Wow thank you so much for the reply, specially the first question reply was VERY helpfull!

No, session length does not matter so long as they add up to the same amount of time. Do what works for you. Myself, I've found passively imposing to work. I constantly visualize my tulpa following me throughout my day. She'll interact with the environment -- that is, hopping on desks, her image reflecting in windows, and generally distracting me. This has made imposition much, much more fun.

What?? Serious?? Wait a minute but that's EXACTLY what i have been doing all along, specially during the path i go on foot to my work everyday (10m), i visualize my tulpas doing a lot of things, on the streets and gardens i pass nearby, but at home sometimes i also do a bit of active imposing by visualizing them hugging me and trying to feel them. Another thing... i feel it near to impossible to know if i am puppeting them or not, because it's kinda so "effortless"... how you overcame that problem? You JUST ignore that and never worry about puppeting at all?

But then there's the problem you mention here :

Yes, however you want to be good a visualizing before beginning imposition.

Yeah that's exactly the reason i sometimes have doubts if this is going to ever work is because i see them mentally quite well when it's on the same positions i remember from the anime scenes but when it's new animations and positions i never seen them, i see the new positions SO blurry (it's like this for example http://i.minus.com/i8X03iohTdCFv.png but probably even worse than this) and i have to visualize them a bit far away from me to be able to visualize the whole body, and i am not sure if it's such a good idea doing imposing like this if i am NOT able to visualize them better without being so blurry and fuzzy like this, so what you suggest? That i stop imposing them near me ? Actually i am having a bit of trouble distinguishing between practising imposing and visualizing, unless what you say you do is really just PASSIVE imposing.

Another thing not sure if someone else mentioned on the forum this technique, but i had a idea of trying to impose my tulpas into 2D pictures! For example, when i find a landscape picture on google images that i found beautiful, i watch the picture on the pc screen and i start to impose and visualize my tulpas in there (in 3D) while looking at the screen (no i don't close my eyes) i actually find this a LOT easier than doing it in a wonderland since just like when in the physical world, i don't have to have the massive effort of trying to render a wonderland at the same time i have to render the tulpas mentally, and i actually have a LOT of fun with my tulpas in those landscapes sometimes even more fun than when imposing in the physical world, does this has any kind of hindrance for imposing, and it's actually considered active imposing ? I also tought about a variation of this, which would be imposing my tulpas into a 3d environment video game while i play it which would probably make them even more happy (altough i would avoid quick loading to avoid abrupt changes in the place i impose them), just tell me what you think about this, could this be even MORE efficient in learning imposing or is there any drawbacks since i am actually visualizing them in flat surface even tough i AM able to visualize them moving in there in 3D depth (for example visualizing them getting smaller as they go further away)? Sometimes when there is a river in the scene, i visualize they feeling the water as well or smelling flowers when they found some in there.

Actually i was thinking about posting this suggestion on the guides section, but not sure if anyone already came up with this idea, so far i haven't found anyone posting this idea before, what you think ?

Guest Anonymous

Wow thank you so much for the reply, specially the first question reply was VERY helpfull!

Glad to hear it.

What?? Serious?? Wait a minute but that's EXACTLY what i have been doing all along, specially during the path i go on foot to my work everyday (10m), i visualize my tulpas doing a lot of things, on the streets and gardens i pass nearby, but at home sometimes i also do a bit of active imposing by visualizing them hugging me and trying to feel them. Another thing... i feel it near to impossible to know if i am puppeting them or not, because it's kinda so "effortless"... how you overcame that problem? You JUST ignore that and never worry about puppeting at all?

The key to it is visualizing them all the time -- from when you wake up to when you fall asleep. You're definitely on the right track.

Puppeting, hmm. For starters, make sure when your tulpa talks to you it's moving its mouth. Don't feel like they have to be next to you all the time -- wandering is good. For imposition in general, make sure they're sleeping in your room, preferably next to you in the bed. Oh, and have them wake you. They'll surprise you, I promise.

But then there's the problem you mention here :

Yeah that's exactly the reason i sometimes have doubts if this is going to ever work is because i see them mentally quite well when it's on the same positions i remember from the anime scenes but when it's new animations and positions i never seen them, i see the new positions SO blurry (it's like this for example http://i.minus.com/i8X03iohTdCFv.png but probably even worse than this) and i have to visualize them a bit far away from me to be able to visualize the whole body, and i am not sure if it's such a good idea doing imposing like this if i am NOT able to visualize them better without being so blurry and fuzzy like this, so what you suggest? That i stop imposing them near me ? Actually i am having a bit of trouble distinguishing between practising imposing and visualizing, unless what you say you do is really just PASSIVE imposing.

Then you need to practice visualizing them. It's that simple. Practicing visualization is sitting down and spending time looking at your tulpa, with your mind's eye, in the wonderland if you have one. Generally, visualization means your tulpa isn't being "seen" in reality. The passive imposition I describe isn't everything, either. You need to convince yourself your tulpas are solid as well as a few other things and JD1215's guide details how.

Another thing not sure if someone else mentioned on the forum this technique, but i had a idea of trying to impose my tulpas into 2D pictures! For example, when i find a landscape picture on google images that i found beautiful, i watch the picture on the pc screen and i start to impose and visualize my tulpas in there (in 3D) while looking at the screen (no i don't close my eyes) i actually find this a LOT easier than doing it in a wonderland since just like when in the physical world, i don't have to have the massive effort of trying to render a wonderland at the same time i have to render the tulpas mentally, and i actually have a LOT of fun with my tulpas in those landscapes sometimes even more fun than when imposing in the physical world, does this has any kind of hindrance for imposing, and it's actually considered active imposing ? I also tought about a variation of this, which would be imposing my tulpas into a 3d environment video game while i play it which would probably make them even more happy (altough i would avoid quick loading to avoid abrupt changes in the place i impose them), just tell me what you think about this, could this be even MORE efficient in learning imposing or is there any drawbacks since i am actually visualizing them in flat surface even tough i AM able to visualize them moving in there in 3D depth (for example visualizing them getting smaller as they go further away)? Sometimes when there is a river in the scene, i visualize they feeling the water as well or smelling flowers when they found some in there.

Actually i was thinking about posting this suggestion on the guides section, but not sure if anyone already came up with this idea, so far i haven't found anyone posting this idea before, what you think ?

That's pretty neat. There has been a bit of discussion about tulpas showing up in pictures, I believe QB was the big contributor to this, and there's a guide that involves tulpas being imposed via photos. What you've described seems different as it's visualizing the tulpa into a screen and not the environment... I sure wouldn't mind a guide being made on this; certainly some would love this kind of method. More efficient? That's hard to say. It's certainly more fun than staring at walls, that's for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow i am not sure if this is a side-effect of imposing, but sometimes when i am staring at blank walls visualizing my tulpa as active imposing, i started to notice something else new apart from the "heat waves"/colored small dots i usually see in blank opaque surfaces after being concentrated a while, i noticed sometimes some strange small yellow/black 1cm afterimages circles generating out of nowhere!! (i see them as "light" much like the normal afterimages) I mean, it's very similar to those after images after we look at a bright bulb for a few seconds, only that these ones appear out of nowhere in my side vision (sometimes on the center vision as well) clearly without focusing my physical eyes on a light source, which i don't ever remember happening before! Sure, so far it's not related to the picture i am trying to impose or visualize but is this FINALLY some earlier indications that imposing IS starting to develop??

Anyone here that is able to impose remember if these ARE the earlier symptoms of how imposing start to happen? Note that i wasn't specifically visualizing small circles of light, i was mostly visualizing a tulpa's face in my center vision in a blank wall (as a 2d "paper") altough i see nothing in their face that resembles these "light circles".

Guest Anonymous

1. Practice as much as you can. That's all you can do.

2. I didn't get this question.

3. It may or may not be a hallucination, but imposition is a controlled hallucination. Uncontrolled hallucinations aren't imposition, however you can practice by trying to control said sparks that you see. Once you can do that, try using it to master imposition better.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys for the late reply but i have some news and another doubt, but first the replys :

I think the dots you are seeing may be an early sign of imposition. I've seen them myself on occasion - it's weird and sparkly. You're making progress, bro

Yeah i hope so!

3. It may or may not be a hallucination, but imposition is a controlled hallucination. Uncontrolled hallucinations aren't imposition, however you can practice by trying to control said sparks that you see. Once you can do that, try using it to master imposition better.

Oh... CONTROLLED hallucination... in fact that didn't happened, i never was able to control such sparks indeed.

But wait there was actually something strange that happened a few weeks after you replyed, when i was trying to impose the form of one of my tulpas, i was able to see a AFTERIMAGE in the exact shape of the head of the tulpa i was visualizing on the blank wall! It was kinda strange because it seemed totally opaque and i couldn't see trought, and it seemed to be made of "light" it was EXACTLY like a after image after i look at a bright light bulb for some seconds, only that there wasn't any physical light source to justify it besides the shape matched exactly what i was visualizing! (it wasn't just a silhoute line, it was "filled" with light but was a 2D shape nevertheless) Also like a afterimage it mostly was bright yellow almost pink, near to human skin color. I wasn't able to reproduce this so far, but i tought that imposing started with we seeing coloroued translucent versions of what we visualize? I find a bit strange hallucinating the head of my tulpa with the same appearance and consistency of a afterimage.

Now a update with a new doubt : there's something i wonder, now that i have six tulpas, usually i impose a different tulpa each day BUT i am presuming that my imposing practise will be distributed in a general way for all the tulpas even when i practise on one each time, but i wonder if it's NOT like that? Is there different levels of imposing for each tulpa?? Because if this is true it's crucial for me to know because imposing a different tulpa each day will quite certainly make this take a LOT longer for each one to be imposed and if that's the case i prefer to work at one each time...

I ask this because i have no idea if the skill of imposing tulpas IS restricted to only the specific tulpa we are imposing, or if there's a way to learn to impose ANY tulpas in a general way without having to spend months imposing each one individually...

OR if there's yet a third way, for example if when we learn to impose the first one, the second one will be a lot faster to learn to impose!

UPDATE : actually i still got another idea, i am actually ABLE to hallucinate simple geometric shapes, such a X or a A, long time ago i was able to hallucinate the A letter shape as a semitranslucent black shape, and a few moments ago i was able to generate a afterimage in the shape of a X. So this gaved me a idea... isn't this practising imposing as well ? Sure this isn't using a tulpa but since i am also already practising imposing a tulpa i presume this might help imposing a tulpa a lot faster... are these the same skills right ?

The only thing i am a bit worried about is that i am not sure exactly how later we can CHOOSE what to hallucinate or not at will, obviously i don't want to hallucinate everything i visualize, unless that when evertime we practise we just keep in mind that we are only hallucinating what we want to hallucinate?