Stanford Tulpa Study looking for more participants
(if you're chosen they'll pay for travel and lodging!)

Alvin Schwartz
(would this be better in metaphysical area? but I know there is interest in the whole community about authors of tulpa books and when and where books on this subject have been written so put it here even if they book was done about the metaphysical tulpas. Thought the whole community would be interested that the writer for Superman and Batman comics know of tulpas and had tulpa experience so put it here).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Schwartz_(comics)

"1950s
Until ending his association with DC in 1958, Schwartz contributed comic-book scripts for such superheroes as Aquaman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern, the Newsboy Legion, Vigilante, Slam Bradley, and Tomahawk. He also wrote comic books such as A Date With Judy, Buzzy, and House of Mystery. Among Schwartz's contributions to Superman was writing the first tale of Bizarro, denizen of an opposite, interdimensional world where "hello" means "goodbye", and citizens do good by doing bad. He wrote World's Finest Comics #71 (July 1954), the issue which began featuring Superman and Batman in the same story together.[1][2]

Schwartz left DC after clashing repeatedly with the new Superman-line editor Mort Weisinger.[3] "   

note that last line..as this supposedly happened due to tulpa influence..see the story below

I thought I'd love a new metaphysical book to read so decided to see what I could find any tulpa books on ebay. Unfortunately when you look for tulpa stuff there the things which mostly come up are horror books and horror tulpa movies so I was starting to get disheartened about finding one but I did come across one I'm sure I will find an interesting read..  a book called "Tulpa by a guy called Alvin Schwartz.

As my German is still very poor (that is something I want to work on with my tulpa).. it was not easy for me to work out if this book was a fantasy book or true story so I've had to do research to try to figure it out.  It appears it something which was written as non fiction but sounds way out there and the author sounded way out to there too at first till I researched him and saw what I was reading was true... (but for those of us who have metaphysical beliefs around tulpas stuff we could entertain). 

The guy who wrote this Tulpa book is also the writer for the superman and batman comics (which is for real.. his name is really listed at wikipedia in the writers    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Superman_creators ) so at least this part of the guys story is true.

**get ready to go down a deep metaphysical rabbit hole**  From what I can gather from researching this.. the so called true story told in this tulpa book (or maybe he goes more into this in his memoir "An Unlikely Prophet" but I suspect he must also tell it in his tulpa book)...

apparently one day he has a phone call by a mysterious guy called Thongden who insists on meeting him after asking him if he was the guy who wrote the superman comics.  So they arrange to meet and this guy turns up riding a bike and when he sees him then tells him that he is from Tibet and was made there,  the guy himself is a tulpa.

(my note - many of us into metaphysics are aware that thoughtforms can actually become so powerful that they can at times be seen and heard by others and are things not just inside our heads so I have no issue believing this... in occult circles I think tulpas can be used to pass on messages to others.,  I myself have seen thoughtforms at times and things not just created by me and once scared someone by something myself had created).

Anyway.. back to this Alvin Schwartz's story..  The guy or rather tulpa says to  Alvin Schwartz.

"“I am not crazy, sir,” Thongden insists. “Like the Superman you describe in your lecture, I am an idea become real. And you are the only one I have encountered in years who seems capable of grasping such a possibility.”

This was due to a lecture that Schwartz had given a few years earlier, titled “The Real Secret of Superman’s Identity” where Schwartz told the audience that “Superman acquired a kind of reality that controlled his writers and editors without their realizing it.”

When Schwartz had been writing Superman the character had started influencing things.. to the point that this lead to Schwartz leaving his job as ,  his bosses tried to get him involved in a storyline involving Superman transferring his powers to Daily Planet reporter and love interest Lois Lane. As this storyline he felt involved something against Superman’s nature and Schwartz could not bring himself to write something against the character so he left.

Thongden tells Schwartz that his Superman (not the cartoon character created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster) is a “living Superman” having been (unwittingly, for Schwartz) created by the writer in the form of what Thongden, from his native Tibet, calls a tulpa – “a living human created by pure thought.

Schwartz is confused, not familiar with Tibetan mysticism or tulpas or that he had manufactured a Superman tulpa without realizing it. But Thongden, a friendly enough guy, for not being completely human, wanted to help Schwartz understand that the much-loved Superman was real, due to Schwartz’s earlier emphasis on the superhero having a “life” in a way. Apparently, this was enough for Superman to be imagined and conjured.

But does Schwartz’s wife Kay believe his story? Not initially. She is not given to fantasy, the way her comic-book writing husband is. But this will change later in the book. '

"And so Schwartz allows Thongden to sort of impact his life at this stage. He goes to New York, to Thongden’s apartment, and spends time with him there, learning about how Thongden came to be – via an Englishman and Tibetan scholar named Dr. Everett Nelson, a man who had worked with the famous American author and translator of The Tibetan Book of the Dead, spiritualist and Theosophist W.Y. Evans-Wentz.

And while I have found little on this “Dr. Nelson,” Schwartz says that Nelson “thought” Thongden into being while studying in Tibet in the 1940’s and that Thongden’s arrival at Schwartz’s house took place a week after Nelson’s death. We learn how he became this thought in Nelson's mind - a gestation period - and slowly materialized at the Tibetan monastery. Before becoming a fully-realized humanlike tulpa.

Why did he come? Because Thongden was always “connected” to Nelson and with Nelson now dead, he is “connecting” with Schwartz. When Schwartz is in Thongden's apartment, the tulpa makes sure to have "surroundings" that put Schwartz in "a susceptible state."

Okay so this supposively true book written of  Alvin Schwartz is way way out there even for me (there is apparently far more way out stuff in it but it may give an idea of some of the Tibetian views on tulpas and the possibilities (and know their ideas of what they can do go far beyond what most of this community believes ..... but anyway I think I'm going to have an interesting read of it.

I find that interesting as I've always been taught by my Yogi teachers (one of my teachers was friends with the Dalai Lama so did have access to Tibetian knowledge)  that thought forms need energy to stay alive.. so it does make sense to me that a tulpa creation would need to reconnect with another human so not to fade out  if it's maker died and it was not well known (I've heard unrelated to this book that Count Dracula exists as a tulpa due to that Dracula book. I'm starting to think from all this more and more that the being that appeared in my lounge room and stole my first tulpa Violet many years ago scaring the crap out of me may not have been a spirit but another tulpa).

Anyway.. this is all so wacked out thinking about how I would feel if a tulpa of another arrived at my door saying it was anothers creation and it had came to me as it's creator had died.  This makes me wonder if some tulpas are like passed down in some occultic groups?  or could a tulpa be in a family for generations.... I'm strongly inside feeling like they can.
Jesse (human male) DOB 16th April 2013
Working on imposition

Sponsors:
Lolflash - click it, you know you want to

This was the original context in which I first heard the word "tulpa", many years ago, in an article claiming Superman was one. It was probably this article:

The Myth of Superman, WIRED, 2006

I don't doubt for an instant that Schwartz and many other DC writers and artists soulbonded very similar versions of Superman. It would be more odd if he did not over the course of sixteen years at DC. Many prominent creators have soulbonded characters. Leonard Nimoy lived daily with his soulbond Spock for nearly fifty years, as detailed in his books, "I Am Not Spock" (1977) and "I Am Spock" (1995).

Alvin Schwartz the comic book writer wasn't a German though. He was born in New York City in 1916, and lived there until moving to Ontario in 1968. So I find it odd and unlikely he would have written a book in German.

I did find several copies of "Tulpa: Dies Kraft des Geistes" (Tulpa: The Power of the Mind) by Alvin Schwartz for sale. From the blurb, it addresses Schwartz's interaction with Thongden, so I'm wondering if it isn't a translation of "An Unlikely Prophet: A Metaphysical Memoir by the Legendary Writer of Superman and Batman", which has very similar cover art.

As far as Superman manifesting in the physical world, there appears to be a dearth of news stories about his vigilante activities. The character isn't a low profile kind of guy; why would the tulpa be?

-Ember

EDIT: "An Unlikely Prophet" has a sequel, "A Gathering of Selves: The Spiritual Journey of the Legendary Writer of Superman and Batman", telling the continuing story of Schwartz's relationship with Thongden... and Batman.
Ember - Host   |   Vesper - Soulbond (since ~12 May 2017)   |   Iris - Soulbond (since ~5 December 2015)
[Our Progress Report]     [How We Switch]

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit
Quote: . From the blurb, it addresses Schwartz's interaction with Thongden, so I'm wondering if it isn't a translation of "An Unlikely Prophet: A Metaphysical Memoir by the Legendary Writer of Superman and Batman", which has very similar cover art.

umm thanks. I'll correct my post then, I'd assumed he was German seeing I saw the book in German by him and seen that before the other book but yeah it could be a German translation of his other book though don't they usually keep the same title but in a translated way when usually doing book translations. So this makes me wonder if he does in fact have two books.
Jesse (human male) DOB 16th April 2013
Working on imposition
The title of a book is a marketing tool. Authors may have limited control over titles in their own country and language. They generally have none at all in other countries and languages. Even the original publisher doesn't have much control. A few examples:

https://www.bustle.com/p/10-famous-books...es-5521105

So "Tulpa" could be either of Schwartz's spiritual books or an omnibus of both, though my gut feeling is that it's "Unlikely Prophet". I kind of want to buy all three to find out, but Vesper thinks it's absurd to buy three books when I don't know German and the spiritual content may be such that I can't stomach reading any of them. But comparing "Tulpa" and "Unlikely Prophet" side-by-side should reveal the truth of the matter very quickly.

-Ember
Ember - Host   |   Vesper - Soulbond (since ~12 May 2017)   |   Iris - Soulbond (since ~5 December 2015)
[Our Progress Report]     [How We Switch]

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit