Chat Thread
And especially with SSD's. Like, I love my super snappy performance and I'm sure that in some number of years the failure-rate will be next to zero, but for the foreseeable future, yeah I'll probably do my best to update with a fresh drive every year or two. The one I'm running is a 500gb drive and I only paid like, $150 for it or something, so I figure it'll become a lot more affordable as we go on, so not really too big an issue. My uncle actually lost the SSD on his music-production rig last year after only about 3 years, no neglect or mishandling whatsoever, it was just the drive's time or whatever. He didn't lose any important files, but it was definitely a hassle to get it all back up and running, for him.

I do have some super ancient mechanical drives that have been powering along for like, a decade and a half, though, so that's interesting.
If you only knew what all this cost - What she gave up, just to save her art

What is fashion, fashion without love? Like an odradek, a spool without purpose

Sponsors:
Lolflash - click it, you know you want to

Wait what? Especially not SSDs. If I had to chose a single drive to store all my data on because some deity declared I wasn't allowed to use RAID or make backups, it would be an SSD. There's no moving parts, like the name says. If you don't use very much of the data then there's lots of room for the internal controller to fail blocks and such, especially with TRIM enabled. The only downside is price, and they don't work for cold storage. IIRC after about 3 months of not being powered on they start to lose data.

Both harddisks and SSDs effectively have a limited amount of usage time; if it's powered on but the platters aren't spinning it will last a lot longer. Thats why drives in servers tend to fail a lot faster: because they're being used a lot more, and used intensively. That's likely how you have mechanical drives that have been going so long. Or maybe you're just super lucky, I dunno.
Host: Jean-luc (plain-colored text)
Tulpas: Snow & Henry
Choose your tulpas' colors here!
Click here if you'd like a changing avatar like mine!
Ain't that just fantitiliantastic!
I hosted a podcast called Tulpaudcast.
and rambled crazily about everything while walking on Jean-luc walking.
Huh, that's interesting. I guess I'm just drawing from personal experience, which might just be a lot of bad luck with SSD's an heroing for literally no reason other than the fact that they felt like it.

I definitely have used a lot of the older drives I've got laying around fairly extensively over the years, so yeah, that might be where all of my good luck has gone, or something. Maybe some day all computers will be consistently 'not-prone-to-fuck-up' equally for all.
If you only knew what all this cost - What she gave up, just to save her art

What is fashion, fashion without love? Like an odradek, a spool without purpose
Incidentally, I've never personally suffered an HDD fail. So I am certain it is only a matter of time before one that I am using goes kaput. Though I'm not really worried about it enough to invest in a backup drive. The primary one I'm currently using in my desktop is approaching 10 years old, I believe. It's had one hell of a run.
"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."
Aaaah, I just wrote an essay! I've officially written as many as Tewi and like, what, a fourth Lumi has? (Just kidding)
It was about a topic of your choosing on how the world will be different and how it'll affect us in 25 years. So I wrote about deforestation.
My essay ended with "; I like frogs." so I feel like I've done my job.

(09-09-2016, 06:10 AM)jean-luc Wrote: If I had to chose a single drive to store all my data on because some deity declared I wasn't allowed to use RAID or make backups, it would be an SSD.

Hey, our... ____ drive is an SSD! So we're even safer than if we just used a hard drive? Also there's rarely a day where our computer isn't turned on. Good to hear because we're sure not backing anything up.

aaaa I'm happy I helped, and now I get to sleep! I definitely enjoy sleeping more than any of the others. They don't know how to get cozy. It's a mindset and a skill, and I'm good at it.
Hi I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.
All of my posts should be read at a hundred miles per hour because that's probably how they were written
Please talk to me https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas
I mean really it's a risk/reward scenario. If you're okay with all your data spontaneously dissapearing one day and having to deal with buying a new drive and reinstalling the OS, maybe it's okay to not keep backups or do any of that fancy RAID stuff.

Also I still haven't learned what noised are normal for my drives to make. With four of them (one of them being "enterprise") they make more noise than I'm used to, especially when being used (say, when downloading a bunch of steam games)

Also I'm in one of those modes where I'm tired but I just don't want to go to sleep. (Message just popped up: Steam has finished downloading...)
Like, there's a bunch of stuff I wanna do "today" (even though its past midnight) and the being tired isn't bothering me that much and honestly it would all be fine except if I do it too much it may actually affect my sleeping schedule come monday.
Host: Jean-luc (plain-colored text)
Tulpas: Snow & Henry
Choose your tulpas' colors here!
Click here if you'd like a changing avatar like mine!
Ain't that just fantitiliantastic!
I hosted a podcast called Tulpaudcast.
and rambled crazily about everything while walking on Jean-luc walking.
(09-10-2016, 05:58 AM)Lucilyn Wrote: aaaa I'm happy I helped, and now I get to sleep! I definitely enjoy sleeping more than any of the others. They don't know how to get cozy. It's a mindset and a skill, and I'm good at it.
My host is not as good as I am at getting comfortable. She squirms and never gets it right.
Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.
I need something fun to do or play, I'm so bored. I just slept for 16 hours but I got so bored looking for something to do I actually got tired again. send help
Hi I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.
All of my posts should be read at a hundred miles per hour because that's probably how they were written
It's so weird hearing that sentiment from your system, given I am used to Tewi.

How do you sleep so long?

Right now I'm looking for my host. She fell asleep inside me again.
Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.
Sleeping mask! It's literally magic. I woke up at 12 PM after going to sleep at 3 AM, and was like I want to sleep more so I put on a sleeping mask and woke up again at 4 PM. That's a horrible time to wake up so just to get us to a place where we can, for the third time, stay up until sleeping at a normal time I slept longer. 7PM specifically.

How how? Idk, we can just do that I guess. Sleeping mask though. Every time we put the dang thing on we wake up in the PMs. I knew of the danger but did not listen to the warnings!

Anyways bored as heck. If Tewi has free time she just, I don't know, watches youtube videos while she eats or plays a game like Stardew Valley that's got progress n stuff. I was playing Osu but I'm sick of messing up ruining the fun, stupid game is all score based and how am I supposed to not care when I mess up a 360x combo when every note after is worth a bajillionth as many points as they were before breaking? AND I like to play really hard songs and failing out in the middle of really hard parts when it's the most fun is stupid.

So I was playing with no-fail (as you'd see in the video games thread), but even just missing notes in general is starting to annoy me. I'm just a tiny fraction of an inch off it's not like I just ignored the note but ugh. So I don't want to do that for a while. But I can't find anything else to play, nothing sounds fun because we've already played through it all, and most games I don't even consider enough fun in the first place so finding new ones is hard too.