Could a Tulpa Make you sick?

GrayTheCat

Really just a thought experiment more than anything. Let's say your Tulpa is really sad and run down, and they feel really crummy. Could they make their other head mates or their host feel sick? If the host feels sick from their Tulpa, could they display physical symptoms ranging from nausea and aches, sore throats, or to the extreme case vomiting or fever? I know that human minds can do some weird things to the body, such as the negative placebo effect or hypochondria.

Some info on the following:

Negative Placebo Effect (Nocebo Effect):

https://www.webmd.com/balance/features/is-the-nocebo-effect-hurting-your-health#1 

Hypochondria (Illness Anxiety Disorder):

https://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/illness-anxiety-disorder 

Note: I was thinking about adding the phobia of contracting HIV as a point, but there wasn't any even somewhat relevant source that really talked about it (and no, I don't think it's a good idea to use Cracked.com as a reliable source of information. I actually got the idea from that site, so I wanted to double check but it sounds like people developing real HIV symptoms due to the fear of having HIV is just an assumption and not an actual thing that has solid evidence.)

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

We havent had any experience with this happening, but it seems possible enough. There was a post on here from a host saying when they switched their tulpa had cold/hayfever symptoms (irritated nose and eyes mostly) but when the host took over they didnt feel it.

DID systems can have different glasses prescriptions, which might interest you. There hasnt been any research into whether tulpas are the same, though.

Despite the name, the host bodybody is the one usually using this account. 

Spice was born in 2013 and Tomoe was born in 2014.

We can all feel bad if any one of us feel bad. We try to cheer each other up mostly. When I went through a year where I was abused by another system, our entire system felt worse and worse as the days went by. It got to the point where we didn't get out of bed because of how trash I felt. It may have mostly been due to my possession and how I would be in control most of the day.

As for physical illness that doesn't involve emotions, I'm unsure if it would be fully possible. If you really set your mind toward something, you could possibly feel it, ie making yourself vomit if you think about it and gross yourself out enough. Hypochondria seems to be a good example of that.

We can all feel bad if any one of us feel bad. We try to cheer each other up mostly. When I went through a year where I was abused by another system, our entire system felt worse and worse as the days went by. It got to the point where we didn't get out of bed because of how trash I felt.

I'm sorry you guys ever felt that way. :(  I have a head mate who was feeling really sad, but he is felling better now. I hope for the best of luck for all of you.

If you really set your mind toward something, you could possibly feel it, ie making yourself vomit if you think about it and gross yourself out enough.

I think that's a really good example. I don't recall that ever happening to me, but I know it's not that unusual in people in general.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

I think this counts. Recently, I've caught on a very peculiar scent then Summer told me if that "if I Feel slightly nauseous, she's sorry". After that i feel slightly nauseous. Probably because she felt sick from that odor.

Here's another one, It happened a long time ago. When I was eating something that i am not a fan of (liver), it so happens that one of my tulpas, Myrtle, got a taste of it and did not like it very much to the point where I loose my appetite and almost vomit. I came to a surprise to my reaction that i really don't loose appetite when eating even how i am not eager to eat it. Myrtle apologize right after.

so could tulpas make you sick? Yes i guess? Depends really..

Hello! I am nihi, i have 3 tulpas

Summer

Myrtle

Cherry

so do tulpas make you sick? Yes i guess?

CAN, not DO, sheesh! We've never made lumi sick, please, that's definitely not a common thing...

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

CAN, not DO, sheesh! We've never made lumi sick, please, that's definitely not a common thing...

Oh yeah, i see the typo my bad, all right all fixed!

anyway what happened to me regarding with my tulpas was just a total accident.

Hello! I am nihi, i have 3 tulpas

Summer

Myrtle

Cherry

• 8 months later...

The member Venomous mentioned this thread and I realized I had something to add to the discussion.

Ranger for whatever reason is sensitive to flashing lights or too many things moving on the screen. It does not make him or me nauseous, but it really bothers him and I end up turning away or closing my eyes. Ranger reported this to me possibly for as long as February or March, and he discouraged me from looking at optical illusions or play the game Osu since.

Our system account

That's us!

Since you brought back this topic, I'm going to post my experience here too, since perhaps there will be others looking for this thread and wondering or wishing to share their experiences. (Plus, I'm certain the info will be more accessible here than in my progress reports, which I'm sure not everyone is interested in reading!)

So, our answer is yes, a definite yes. Tulpas can make you sick. Our experience with it is as follows;

I had something to do on this particular day which terribly repulsed Viper. I'm talking about that raw, visceral type of reaction, not just disgust. But this was something I had to do and was set out to do, so I told Viper they can just retreat and not pay attention to it if it's that bad for them. Aside from the lingering feeling of disgust, I was fine until the last 15 minutes before said activity, when I felt INCREDIBLY nauseous and almost on the brink of throwing up. Keep in mind this was horribly distressing, because I suffer from emetophobia.

I came to find out that due to a part of me wanting Viper to experience novel things so they can form an opinion of their own, I ended up not allowing Viper to retreat. They tried to, but couldn't. I imagine this is actually frightening to some extent. Imagine being forced to face something that ultimately repulses you so badly it makes you sick. Viper ended up liking said repulsive activity though, so it ended well after all.

I believe the reason this happened in the first place is that, unlike the majority (forgive me if I'm wrong and please correct me if this isn't true) of tulpamancers, as far as I've seen anyway, we have no interest in us being separate. We do not have a wonderland and I rarely visualize Viper. And we're okay with it! We want this. We like being together. So I'm guessing, although I'm absolutely not certain, that we co-front 90% of the time when Viper isn't 'hibernating'. So... well, you share your body with your tulpa 90% of the time, they're bound to offer their own feelings and emotions and feed them into the body. Physical reactions aren't that surprising then.

~ We are Venny, the host, and Viper, my soul! ~

Click here! Come join us on the chat!