Family and friends

ryowei247

So Walter and I have run into the problem of that Walter is basically my best friend. Best friend do things together and have memories of spending time with each other. Since he and I became closer I've written a few poems about him and told a few friends. They believed me surprisingly! I kind of told one of my professors (not really) But I've found that when I want to talk about him I either refer to him as simply "My shadow" because 1) he likes it and 2) It's easier to explain I guess. To certain people I just call him my friend Walter who you will never ever meet! It's difficult. I've told my dad about him, but he doesn't know his name. I've also told my mom about him. She was less excepting of him. She doesn't understand it. I was wondering how everyone else has faired on this topic of telling family and friends about your Tulpas? My dad is really supportive and that's great. I just hope other have had positive experiences.

Tulpa: Walter

appearance: Short black hair, tall, grey eyes. Likes to wear a black vest over a white dress shirt and pants.

host: Amanda

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started tulpaforcing about a week ago. My tulpa (whose name is Amanda :P) isn't vocal yet, so I'm not going to talk about her to my friends or family for the moment. I don't know how they will react so I guess we'll keep it a secret. Maybe I'll tell some of my best friends... but it's not like they need to know.

Guest amber5885

I've had Toby for 22 years and the only person I ever told was a psychiatrist I was seeing for depression back before I knew about tulpas. I just told her I had an imaginary friend and suprisingly she said that wasn't all that uncommon.

Well, I told my closer friends and they all seemed pretty cool with it, some even very interested. My family was less accepting. I've lived in the household of fundamentalist southern Baptists all my life and when I tried to tell them I had another person in my head, they got really weirded out. They basically choose to ignore it nowadays and never being it up, and I do the same. My shrink I had been seeing for a few months at the time was interested. I showed him the site, some of the diagrams and explained it all to him. Ironically, my wonderland started as the setting of a hypnosis session with that guy. He told me to think of going downwards in a elevator (that's not in the WL) to a place with a small pond, a clearing in the woods. My mind changed things but it worked. Most people I tell about it nowadays just feel indifferent about it.

[align=center]Even though my username is that of my tulpa, Quilten, my name is Phaneron, the host, who does all of the actual posting.

Tulpas: Quilten, Jira

[/align]

I've had one girl relate him to a demon which was difficult. I started seeing a new therapist who wasn't present for Walter's creation. I decided to tell her and got the "bitch be crazy" look. On the other hand my boyfriend found out and thought it was so cool he has started the process himself.

Tulpa: Walter

appearance: Short black hair, tall, grey eyes. Likes to wear a black vest over a white dress shirt and pants.

host: Amanda

I've had Toby for 22 years and the only person I ever told was a psychiatrist I was seeing for depression back before I knew about tulpas. I just told her I had an imaginary friend and suprisingly she said that wasn't all that uncommon.

Well, it's documented that about 65% of people have an imaginary friend at a point in their life, and are useful as a tool used to make sense of the world. Most psychiatrists would agree that imaginary friends are usually beneficial to a person's development, especially young children.

[align=center]Host: Mike "Redback"

Tulpa name: Deortabe

Appearance: Female deer with glittery hooves.

Begun: 04/09/14

Progress: Basic appearance starting to take shape, possible first signs of sentience.[/align]

My friends are basically all partially insane, so me making references to "a voice in my head" isn't even that weird. I even mentioned that they were called tulpas once because my friends are really into Supernatural and we were watching that one episode about tulpas, and they were like "oki" and moved on. Literally they do not care.

I've also indirectly told my family. My sister now asks me what they're doing every time she's reminded of me saying I have "three voices in my head that are really nice" which usually involves playing video games and doughnut trees, but she really doesn't mention it much. My parents don't really mention it either after I've lightly told them once, they're just like "don't go crazy on us" and that's it.

[Forseen]

{Muse}

|Alix|

It has been all over the place. I have told a few close friends who are only in my offline identity, quite a few who know be both online and offline, most everyone in a particular online queer community (though I said they are thoughtforms, I have never dropped the word tulpa), and my parents. Though I should also mention that I am also multiple (total of 2 alters (I hate that term, by the way) including myself and 5 tulpas). Been having a rough time dealing with all sorts of plurality related things, so I have reached out to those around me for support. I've been lucky to get a lot of support from many people. Unfortunately, not everyone was so great. Two very close friends who only know me offline did not respond well at all. I was stupid enough to tell my therapist about almost getting force switched a while back by my headmate from years back) and have been trying to contain things ever since. I am rather glad I told my parents even though it was not easy. I still remember the conversation. One was just dropping names of historical figures who could have been or were plural (Socrates of course, but also mentioned many others), especially if they might have had thoughtforms, and didn't think it that weird. Even wants to meet the others when they get the chance. The other had a more difficult time. They were very studious, though, and did a ton of reading on their own (without prompting) of multiplicity and tulpas. Had to clear more than a few misconceptions, but made substantial progress. They still think that I am putting a name to something that everybody actually has but is not aware of and are thus more than a bit doubting. Yes, they think this sort of stuff is normal other than the level of separation. Also, one of the reasons I brought it up with them is that I finally had found what could explain some of the things weird and bad about my sibling (lets just say that their tulpa, daemon, or tulpa-daemon is not a good person and is a bad influence on them and they are not exactly aware they even have a thoughtform).

I recommend reading what you can about the experiences of multiples telling people they are multiple. The stuff caries over pretty well to other kinds of plurality and multiples have been dealing with this and writing it on the internet for a lot longer than this community has existed. Oh, and of course, if you need something to explain things to people, sometimes a multiplicity resource combined with an explanation for how tulpas are different can be very effective. A good resource I can think of off hand is the Layman's Guide to Multiplicity by the Blackbirds. Even beyond this particular concern, it is a good read. I find it very helpful to know about other forms of plurality and their similarities and differences. Also, you never know where you can learn a good tip or two. Good places to do that are Astraea's Web, the Layman's guide of course, and Healthy Multiplicity.

- Hail

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

I told my girlfriend about tulpas, and she really didn't like the idea. Now it's a big secret. I don't plan on telling anyone I know.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

I told my girlfriend about tulpas, and she really didn't like the idea. Now it's a big secret. I don't plan on telling anyone I know.

You reminded me of something I forgot. I've talked about our plurality with the person I am currently working out whether we will date or not, though I disclosed our situation before our attractions came to the surface. We have a good discussion of how to handle everyone else's romantic interests, whether towards her or towards other people. After all, they have just as much right to be allowed to seek out relationship as I do. She is actually one of the few people I can talk to about all of this stuff.

- Hail

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.