"I have a Tulpa." - Whom to tell?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey, guys.

Simple question: Do you feel there's any importance to telling certain people about your tulpa? And if so, why?

For me... I'm not sure.

On one hand, I definitely want other important people in my life to know that this person, Rina, who's closer to me than anyone, exists.

On the other hand, I'm of course aware of how alien or even literally-actually-insane this whole thing can and would sound to certain types of people, or just to people to whom this is very foreign in general.

So far I haven't told anyone yet, and I'll probably hold off on it at least until I've become more "used to her", in that we can communicate very easily and consistently without any problems.

Like - otherwise, relaying replies from her to someone who wants to ask her something would be a goddamn pain in the butt.

I wouldn't mind talking to Felix' family and having them know I exist. But I'm not sure how good of an idea that is.

Well, within my family, I was really only primarily thinking of my mum here.

Otherwise, more along the lines of my closest friends.

So, what's everyone's opinion on this?

Especially to long-time hosts; did you ever even tell anyone?

Greets,

AG & Rina

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I am afraid to answer your question. Are you sure you want me to tell you what I did? Is my advice valuable to you do you think?

Guest Anonymous

... dude. Don't beat a hopefully dead horse. xD

Greets,

AG

PS: Not really asking for advice.

Rather, I'm simply interested in what other hosts and their tulpas do / did.

Tell people that you think will be understanding and accepting, or people that absolutely 100% need to know. And half the time, therapists and significant others don't even qualify, so I mean..

No point in going around announcing to the world you believe your imaginary friend is sentient. But people that you think would be accepting and understanding might be good to tell if you feel you need to do so. I don't, but my friends know anyways. Very much up to you.

inb4 all the "dONT TELL N E1 I TOLD MOM AND AM WRITING THIS FROM AN ASYLUM" posts

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Nope. Never will I tell anyone.

Ok, MAYBE I can tell a few people in the future...

As for right now, I could probably tell my older brother, and maybe my sister, as I can see them understanding the concept. My parents, on the other hand, would flip out. Friends are out of the equation as I don't have any close ones.

I'm not going to listen to you guys since you are all probably just talking to yourself and don't really have a tulpa like me.

Guest Anonymous

I told everyone, EVERYONE, my wife, my step daughters, my extended family, my mother and sister and brothers, my parish priest, old friends, newer friends, my boss and my coworkers. Everyone knows I am highly imaginative and artistic. Melian is part of my imagination and an art muse. She was created by me the same way I imagine my fantasy worlds for my art. It wasn't difficult for people to accept her in most cases because of that.

Guest Anonymous

Interesting to see how varied the answers and opinions are.

For me, it's also a bit this feeling of "letting her go unnoticed to the world", even though she's so important to me.

Just an odd thought, is all, and why I'll probably tell someone down the road.

I very much doubt my mum or my two closest friends / pals would think I'm crazy.

I actually assume they'd believe me if I explained it.

Again, I wouldn't mind. But it's of no high priority to me.

Greets,

AG & Rina

I've told online friends who are generally accepting of multiplicity, some being multiples themselves. It took me over two weeks of actually forcing Arro to finally muster up the courage to tell them, since most were only aware of DID and median systems and had never heard of the term "tulpa". I was also nervous because I didn't know what their opinion on a singlet creating a headmate would be. They took it well, though, and some of them even openly encouraged me to do my best.

But I believe my case is pretty unique. I'm fortunate to have such open-minded friends who I know are open-minded; otherwise things could have turned ugly.

As for anybody else, I have not told anybody and I don't plan to tell anybody unless I'm at least 80% sure they won't just call me crazy and dismiss Arro as a particularly active daydream. My parents in particular I don't feel I'll ever tell -- they like to think they're open-minded, but they just... really aren't. They still haven't even fully accepted my ADHD diagnosis from years ago, and make fun of my depression. For my own safety and peace of mind, I'll be keeping them in the dark about my tulpa.

I've considered telling my therapist, but while he's generally accepting I still don't know how he'd react if I suddenly told him I was creating a headmate. For now I'm keeping Arro a secret from him as well. If I ever do decide to tell him, it'll be once Arro is fully developed and autonomous from me. For now I'm afraid he'll try to convince me that Arro is a bad idea and that I'm doing this to escape reality, which I'm not. (I'm easily influenced by other people's opinions and it's caused me many, many crises in the past.)

Sharu (host) || Arro (tulpa)

Guest Anonymous

I decided to tell everyone because I was approaching fifty and I was afraid I would die without anyone else knowing about her. Once I started telling, I couldn't stop. :-) I have no reason to feel ashamed or embarrassed about having Melian. She is amazing!

Guest Anonymous

PS:

inb4 all the "dONT TELL N E1 I TOLD MOM AND AM WRITING THIS FROM AN ASYLUM" posts

That somehow had an Arnold Schwarzenegger "GET TU DE CHOPPA!"-like voice in my head. With the appropriate "RLAWRL, RLAWRL!!" in the end.

See. He is silly.

Still not as silly as you, Witchgirl.

Redundant.