Questions about tulpae

Okay, I have been absolutely fascinated with the idea of a tulpa for the past few days, and have been trying to research as much as I can. Though, I have a few questions that I've been wanting to ask:

1. Can a tulpa be dangerous? This must be a common question, and I know they can't interact with the physical world except through you, and I've read that that (such as using your voice, body, or total possession) can only happen if you ALLOW them to. Is this true? I want to be sure there's no possible way there could be a point where something is controlling any part of my mind or body without my consent.
  2. Can tulpae grow to hate you, or maybe just hate THEMSELVES to the point of suicidal thoughts which could lead to attempting to harm you physically? I've read that this would be highly unlikely, and that normally tulpa wouldn't have any reason to hurt you in any way because you share the same mind and body, and this makes sense, but what if they themselves wanted to die, or maybe theres some sort of lingering depression or suicidal thoughts inside you that make them think they should try to kill themselves and by extension you?
  3. Have there been any cases of permanent switching with a tulpa? Or atleast for a very long time?
  4. What is the advised age to begin creating a tulpa? I'm 16, and I have been thinking of creating a tulpa, though I've read that it's inadvisable to begin tulpaforcing until your mind is fully developed, but apparently that isn't until you're 25. I do understand reasons for creating a tulpa, such as companionship and self-improvment, and I do understand that once you have created a tulpa they are like other people, with their own feelings, so I wouldn't take the decision to create a tulpa lightly. In-fact, I'm doubting ever trying to create one because it would be forever. Though, if I did decide to create one, again, what is the suggested age?
  5. I have ADHD, would that cause problems with a tulpa in any way? (besides maybe making tulpaforcing a bit more challenging)
  6. I read this on a tulpa subreddit, but I don't think it was a very good answer. What are the differences between tulpae and multiple personality disorder? (other than the fact that you are consciously creating the new personality)
  7. I've read that tulpae can decide they don't want to be alive in your mind anymore and just disappear by themselves. Is this true?
  8. Once you've lost a tulpa, is there any possible way to bring them back?

Thank you in advance to anyone that tries to answer my questions.

Can a tulpa be dangerous? This must be a common question, and I know they can't interact with the physical world except through you, and I've read that that (such as using your voice, body, or total possession) can only happen if you ALLOW them to. Is this true? I want to be sure there's no possible way there could be a point where something is controlling any part of my mind or body without my consent.

It’s hard to say if tulpas are inherently good, or inherently bad. There’s so many factors that could contribute to how a tulpa’s disposition in general. However, it doesn’t mean that communicate is out of the question in developing their personality to one where they’re not trying to self-actualize in a negative manner. Some cases where tulpas seem to control a host’s body without their consent may be circumstances where it was necessary for the safety of both of them.

It’s not like your mind has a self-destruct button, and would have a tulpa that wants to give you a mental breakdown. From what I’ve seen in numerous threads on people worried about this consent thing is how they react to any kind of response they would feel can affect their tulpas. However, with actual mental illnesses, it’s unpredictable to give that same presumption that you can rest assured that you’re not creating a tulpa that will go out of control, unless you keep contributing to fulfilling their selfhood and disposition as being the case.

For possession or switching in general, I’ve had many cases where mine seemed to tease that they could do this or that, or say something out of synch when communicating with others, but that never really happens because they know the consequences of how people would react in those cases; at least I presume they have that rationality.

Can tulpae grow to hate you, or maybe just hate THEMSELVES to the point of suicidal thoughts which could lead to attempting to harm you physically? I've read that this would be highly unlikely, and that normally tulpa wouldn't have any reason to hurt you in any way because you share the same mind and body, and this makes sense, but what if they themselves wanted to die, or maybe theres some sort of lingering depression or suicidal thoughts inside you that make them think they should try to kill themselves and by extension you?

It may be probable that they may grow to resent you, but again, there’s a lot of circumstances that would contribute to that. People who don’t fixate much on the negatives from occurring may be more likely to have a tulpa with a disposition that isn’t really filled with resentment, hatred, etc.

And even if that were the case, and was part of their personality, it could be a chance for you to ask how this may reflect about who you for certain matters. People probably fixate on worrying so much that they don’t really get into the habit of calming themselves down, and trying to rationalize why a tulpa may harbor those kind of feelings. If there’s suicidal thoughts, or negative behaviors in general, it depends on the situation to formulate how to assess those matters.

Have there been any cases of permanent switching with a tulpa? Or atleast for a very long time?

There have been cases, you could find them in Progress Reports, talking to other members, threads in this forum, and all that. Though for some of them, it seems that:

• The host may grow to regret the switch (permanent or just for a long time)

• The host reacts the same as point one, and they try to compromise with their tulpa, and they both learn some lessons on who should take on responsibilities in their daily

• The host may be intimidated and fearful of the imaginary senses and body they fixate their awareness to, and start seeing mental projections of entities and such in their mind that can range from bad to good. Sometimes the existence of those entities could just be what goes on in our minds in general (e.g. internal conflict)

Again, these are just a few general patterns I’ve seen, but they all obviously won’t fit in those points to absolute law.

What is the advised age to begin creating a tulpa? I'm 16, and I have been thinking of creating a tulpa, though I've read that it's inadvisable to begin tulpaforcing until your mind is fully developed, but apparently that isn't until you're 25.

Societal implications on age for tulpas is bullshit. People seem to suggest a certain age range because they personally feel that at that point, a person would have enough experiential learning of life, how to assess matters, problem-solving, and just learning to exist in this world in general. Sometimes younger people fixate more on things older people would think they’re stereotypically inclined to follow, and spend less time being reflective of the things they’ve done in their life.

But attributing younger people as the only audience that aren’t likely to think more, and use retrospect and hindsight, and being introspective seems to be biased (e.g. ageism). There could be older individuals that still have the mentality they had during their adolescence, or have habits and predispositions they still follow and live by. Maybe people undermine the potential for a tulpa to contribute in vicarious insight because they probably presume younger individuals wouldn’t have that understanding, or be able to conceptualize those insights and speculations in general.

But don’t let age intimidate you, and even in a physical age vs. mental age debate, people are just making their own psychology, pragmatism, and presumptions of what our minds can be capable of for the tulpa journey.

In-fact, I'm doubting ever trying to create one because it would be forever. Though, if I did decide to create one, again, what is the suggested age?

You see, this statement of yours is one of the common concerns I’ve seen individuals have with tulpas. They get intimidated that the journey may be so tedious, complicated, and long in general in order for them to get any progress. Some people complain of not getting any progress in a few weeks, or even a few months, and they let that sap their energy and confidence. It’s really a self-learning process, and how much perseverance you can apply to this.

There’s a lot of factors that can contribute to making breakthroughs, but one underlying struggle that I’ve seen being masked is that people want to see things done quickly vs. being done gradually for the rest of their lives. They fixate more on mastering techniques, building cognition to do certain methods and activities faster, but barely spend any time to realize that gaining experiential learning in interacting with their tulpas (e.g. interpersonal skills the host has with people in general, problem-solving, trial-and-error). And sometimes we take for granted that things we’ve learned in life in general can be applied to tulpa creation and interaction.

Instead of appreciating the journey of going through tribulations, overcoming adversity, and other things in their daily lifestyle for personal growth, they’re just desperate to see something happen, but can’t find a follow up on finding how to live with their tulpas. Wanting an entity that’s implied as sentient to be automatically be packaged as your strife-filled resolver, or perfect companion in just a matter of weeks, or even months is kind of expecting too much out of this. I’m more comfortable in seeing things gradually over the years rather than wanting them to be done so quickly.

The idea is, fixating on wanting things to be done quickly to accomplish certain things (e.g. companionship, conflict resolver) may have an individual undermining their potential to assess things on their own without having to use their tulpa as their first-hand thinking (rather than vicarious/second-hand thinking).

I have ADHD, would that cause problems with a tulpa in any way? (besides maybe making tulpaforcing a bit more challenging)

There’s been countless threads where people legitimately have autism, Asperger’s, and other mental ailments, and those who do self-diagnostics without any professional help to back up their presumed mental ailments that can do just fine in tulpa creation and interaction. What would seem as a disadvantage for certain ailments may actually be a benefit (e.g. better concentration, being able to do repetitive, and menial tasks for a long time, over-active imagination), but again, it’s a circumstantial thing.

Even if something were to make things more difficult, it just means a person has to work harder, but hard work can help a lot in developing competence in something along with passion; loopholes can be made.

What are the differences between tulpae and multiple personality disorder?

(other than the fact that you are consciously creating the new personality)

You’re going to have to search around the forum for more anecdotal cases. There’s some threads here for instance that gives presumptions on whether or not tulpas could be a mental disorder, or even here where it could just be unknown if tulpas have any correlation to mental faculties being distorted and such.

I've read that tulpae can decide they don't want to be alive in your mind anymore and just disappear by themselves. Is this true?

It’s a circumstantial thing. But I would imagine that if I were an entity gradually developing sentience, reasons for wanting to not exist anymore could be how I would react to my sense of self, my existence in reality, and whether or not I would have any chance of gaining solace and purpose in my life. Sometimes tulpas could contemplate on this because they probably weigh in the circumstances, and feel that decision would create some long and compensating good for the host in general (e.g. overwhelming situations that can be problematic, and affect the host if they continue trying to balance with tulpas and their daily lifestyle).

Or it could just be that how the host applies themselves into this somehow creates a tulpa with a negative disposition in general. If that’s the case, it’s the same as the previous presumption I’ve made that it’s probably a matter a host has a chance to learn about themselves, and how they could reach a new understanding of why a tulpa may be this or that way.

Once you've lost a tulpa, is there any possible way to bring them back?

Short answer: If you’re not willing to fixate attention towards their existence, they won’t really be there in your perception of reality.

However, when I say that, I know that there’s going to be people that create negative connotations from that, and imply that I, or any other individual that states this as undermining a tulpa’s existence. The sustainability of their existence isn’t really the same as our existence. If a dog is dead, it’s dead. If a tulpa’s is dead, it’s probably just a host engaging in creating some symbolic meaning and purpose that they’re dead.

Some people use symbolism (e.g. incubation tanks) as a way to temporarily avoid the development of their tulpas to assess personal issues they have in their daily lives, and may come back at the endeavor later on. Then there’s the common query on whether or not they should create a new tulpa, or pick off from where they left off. Everyone has their personal opinion on how they should take this on. For me personally, it’s not really surprising for others to give up temporarily, and then come back, because it’s a chance for them to gain experiential learning on things that bothered them, and come back and see things in a new light.

Some people may be turned off by this, and think one has to have unwavering perseverance in this, kind of like a “work hard or go home” mentality I guess, i.e., ultimatums. I guess it depends on how one conceptualize perseverance (e.g. the “work hard or go home” ultimatum or one where even if a person has their ups and downs, they still have the expectation of getting back to the endeavor).

In general, it’s really up to you, and just take other people’s responses as a supplement, not things you have to constrain yourself to conform to. Everyone has their own pragmatic way of going about this, and there’s not really the absolute way of assessing this endeavor.

Guest Anonymous

1. Yes, it can be dangerous I think, as it not much researched concept yet from psychological point of view. You never know what can happen to your mind by a fully developed tulpa which has been created for many years.

2. They can hate you for obvious reasons like torturing etc but I think there are more chances of a tulpa hating you if you hate yourself. I don't think they can hurt you physically though maybe mentally they can...

3. There have been many claims about that but I have hard time believeing them.

4. I think preferable age should be around 18 years.

5. I don't know about it.

6. As much as I know, In the disorder your other personality can take over at any time and in many cases you won't even remember it. Sometimes the other personality won't even realise that its not original one.

7. I don't think it can disappear so easily unless you want it to but it may turn suicidical.

8. There are many ways because they aren't really dead. In most cases, you can just recall them easily by remembering about them.

It’s hard to say if tulpas are inherently good, or inherently bad. There’s so many factors that could contribute to how a tulpa’s disposition in general. However, it doesn’t mean that communicate is out of the question in developing their personality to one where they’re not trying to self-actualize in a negative manner. Some cases where tulpas seem to control a host’s body without their consent may be circumstances where it was necessary for the safety of both of them.

It’s not like your mind has a self-destruct button, and would have a tulpa that wants to give you a mental breakdown. From what I’ve seen in numerous threads on people worried about this consent thing is how they react to any kind of response they would feel can affect their tulpas. However, with actual mental illnesses, it’s unpredictable to give that same presumption that you can rest assured that you’re not creating a tulpa that will go out of control, unless you keep contributing to fulfilling their selfhood and disposition as being the case.

For possession or switching in general, I’ve had many cases where mine seemed to tease that they could do this or that, or say something out of synch when communicating with others, but that never really happens because they know the consequences of how people would react in those cases; at least I presume they have that rationality.

It may be probable that they may grow to resent you, but again, there’s a lot of circumstances that would contribute to that. People who don’t fixate much on the negatives from occurring may be more likely to have a tulpa with a disposition that isn’t really filled with resentment, hatred, etc.

And even if that were the case, and was part of their personality, it could be a chance for you to ask how this may reflect about who you for certain matters. People probably fixate on worrying so much that they don’t really get into the habit of calming themselves down, and trying to rationalize why a tulpa may harbor those kind of feelings. If there’s suicidal thoughts, or negative behaviors in general, it depends on the situation to formulate how to assess those matters.

1. Yes, it can be dangerous I think, as it not much researched concept yet from psychological point of view. You never know what can happen to your mind by a fully developed tulpa which has been created for many years.

2. They can hate you for obvious reasons like torturing etc but I think there are more chances of a tulpa hating you if you hate yourself. I don't think they can hurt you physically though maybe mentally they can...

I'm still confused on the matter of danger and tulpae controlling the host without their consent. Apparently it's possible, I get that now, but how likely is a situation like this? And if a situation like this does arise, would it be possible to fix it? And, if all else fails, could you somehow stop your tulpa by force? Or by creating a tulpa are you thereby risking your entire existence, making it not worth the possible benefits it could hold?

I'm still confused on the matter of danger and tulpae controlling the host without their consent. Apparently it's possible, I get that now, but how likely is a situation like this? And if a situation like this does arise, would it be possible to fix it? And, if all else fails, could you somehow stop your tulpa by force? Or by creating a tulpa are you thereby risking your entire existence, making it not worth the possible benefits it could hold?

Imagine this concern this way. Like I mentioned on a few cases as to how a tulpa may do something without a host’s consent could be situations that are problematic, and the tulpa intervening could be a matter of preventing serious injury, or in extreme cases, a matter of life and death (e.g. a tulpa stopping a host from engaging in suicidal acts, or cutting their wrist). I know that if something like this is probable, it would raise questions on the stability of our own sense of self, and whether or not someone created by us can suddenly override our sensations of this reality.

Try to imagine that for a sentient entity to do this, that would probably involve a lot of competencies gained in advance (e.g. proficiency in possession and/or switching, and for some, those competencies may take a while to have potential of having any lasting effect). As for the host being able to reign in their own existence should those situations arise, we can’t give you any empirical evidence. And over the years, you’d have to wonder if a sentient entity would grow an attachment for their host, and not be bothered to really dominant over their own existence in general.

If you were able to have a tulpa that can do that with your existence so shortly, it would raise questions on why your mind would just throw away yourself like that. It seems you’re just worrying over something that probably won’t occur unless you found some way to consistently reproduce the circumstances where this danger may be probable, i.e., you'd set yourself up for problems if you were to really engage in reproducing the circumstances being more likely to happen.

And as for the benefits vs. risk, that’s just something common with any action a person takes that may have potential for significant changes. It’s not like you should expect to have smooth sailing without going through trial and error, and learning things for yourself. But another example I usually use is dreaming in general. You could become aware of your dreams, engage with thought-forms in your natural sleep, and they could exhibit qualities of sentience we would imply our tulpas in waking life would have. But those dream characters don’t suddenly have so much control to where we can’t reign in our existence when we wake up; we can wake up just fine, with our sense of self and awareness intact despite of whatever experiences you would have in your dreams.

Wondering if your mind is prone for negation and destruction over your existence is undermining how it would be unlikely for a body and mind that wants to survive for as long as possible (e.g. biological predispositions) to do that in the first place. Again, even if there isn’t empirical evidence in this (yet), it doesn’t mean you have to forget to make your own theoretical deductions from this.

Sometimes your own reaction to those concerns may be your worst enemy, not the actual event being probable. Be confident in your existence, have a higher urgency of doing things in your life; it's not like the rest of your mind that's been contributing in your existence will just shut down and rewire itself for your own demise.

Imagine this concern this way. Like I mentioned on a few cases as to how a tulpa may do something without a host’s consent could be situations that are problematic, and the tulpa intervening could be a matter of preventing serious injury, or in extreme cases, a matter of life and death (e.g. a tulpa stopping a host from engaging in suicidal acts, or cutting their wrist). I know that if something like this is probable, it would raise questions on the stability of our own sense of self, and whether or not someone created by us can suddenly override our sensations of this reality.

Try to imagine that for a sentient entity to do this, that would probably involve a lot of competencies gained in advance (e.g. proficiency in possession and/or switching, and for some, those competencies may take a while to have potential of having any lasting effect). As for the host being able to reign in their own existence should those situations arise, we can’t give you any empirical evidence. And over the years, you’d have to wonder if a sentient entity would grow an attachment for their host, and not be bothered to really dominant over their own existence in general.

If you were able to have a tulpa that can do that with your existence so shortly, it would raise questions on why your mind would just throw away yourself like that. It seems you’re just worrying over something that probably won’t occur unless you found some way to consistently reproduce the circumstances where this danger may be probable, i.e., you'd set yourself up for problems if you were to really engage in reproducing the circumstances being more likely to happen.

And as for the benefits vs. risk, that’s just something common with any action a person takes that may have potential for significant changes. It’s not like you should expect to have smooth sailing without going through trial and error, and learning things for yourself. But another example I usually use is dreaming in general. You could become aware of your dreams, engage with thought-forms in your natural sleep, and they could exhibit qualities of sentience we would imply our tulpas in waking life would have. But those dream characters don’t suddenly have so much control to where we can’t reign in our existence when we wake up; we can wake up just fine, with our sense of self and awareness intact despite of whatever experiences you would have in your dreams.

Wondering if your mind is prone for negation and destruction over your existence is undermining how it would be unlikely for a body and mind that wants to survive for as long as possible (e.g. biological predispositions) to do that in the first place. Again, even if there isn’t empirical evidence in this (yet), it doesn’t mean you have to forget to make your own theoretical deductions from this.

Sometimes your own reaction to those concerns may be your worst enemy, not the actual event being probable. Be confident in your existence, have a higher urgency of doing things in your life; it's not like the rest of your mind that's been contributing in your existence will just shut down and rewire itself for your own demise.

What you say makes total sense, my worries on this subject are practically gone now. Thank you.

Though, I don't know when I'm going to try tulpaforcing, as I cannot answer the question of whether I'm ready for this responsibility with an undoubted 'yes', so until I can I will continue researching tulpae, and you might continue to see me around here.

What you say makes total sense, my worries on this subject are practically gone now. Thank you.

Though, I don't know when I'm going to try tulpaforcing, as I cannot answer the question of whether I'm ready for this responsibility with an undoubted 'yes', so until I can I will continue researching tulpae, and you might continue to see me around here.

You may find yourself realizing that the responsibility isn’t as overwhelming as it seems to be. The way I conceptualize on assessing this concern is realizing that if I know the potential of creating a sentient being (e.g. vicarious insight, companionship/other relationships, self-improvement, self-actualization, coping with existential strife and other conflicts), I would naturally know how to reciprocate feelings and behaviors(e.g. respect, thoughtfulness, love, compassion, empathy) to that sentient entity just as I would to someone I would build a bond with, i.e., interpersonal skills, and our gregarious nature can be one of many aspects that makes a difference.

It’s good that you want to research on this more, and I feel that some newcomers do this to try and reduce as much error out of the trial and error compared to where the forum used to be a blank canvas, and anything could’ve been possible on pragmatism with tulpas. However, as much as reducing the chances of error is beneficial, there are some circumstances where you can get a true learning value from experiencing those mistakes.

Something that keeps nagging at me at this experience is that over time I realized that what I find in my tulpas are aspects I was unable to find in myself previously. When you start becoming aware of things that you can engage mutually with your tulpa for overall rapport, that realization kind of grows on you. And with developing the resilience to keep moving forward, and having that sense of assurance that you and your tulpa can sustain that mutualism for the rest of your lives, the hardships and negative moments seem transient, and easy to handle and react to.

Makes you wonder that if people could follow along that line of logic with their tulpas, they’d appreciate the value of personal meaning, and how their point of view with intention could help them become more enduring individuals in life. But you’ll develop that sense of using retrospect and hindsight frequently over time on this, so good luck to you.

Is it possible to create a Tulpae by accident?

I think I may have created one, without knowing what I was doing. During an illness that left me bedridden for an extended period of time I somehow ended up with an astral entity that aids and provides guidance. I was trying to figure out what or who they are and while doing some research I found things posted here like the 'wonderland' concept that are very similiar to things I had done without really realizing that was what I was doing.

He has been with me for several years and was very instrumental in my healing process. While I was ill, we spent many hours each day in our version of 'wonderland' just 'talking' things have changed and I am not sure what the next step is.

The problem is that now the crisis has passed and my health has improved, he has made it clear that he needs a new 'project'

and desires more interaction.

Can anyone provide any info or links also on tulpaes that desire to 'step over' from the wonderland to our realm of existence? (Did I use the right terminology, if not sorry this is all new to me.)

Is it possible to create a Tulpae by accident?

I think I may have created one, without knowing what I was doing. During an illness that left me bedridden for an extended period of time I somehow ended up with an astral entity that aids and provides guidance. I was trying to figure out what or who they are and while doing some research I found things posted here like the 'wonderland' concept that are very similiar to things I had done without really realizing that was what I was doing.

He has been with me for several years and was very instrumental in my healing process. While I was ill, we spent many hours each day in our version of 'wonderland' just 'talking' things have changed and I am not sure what the next step is.

I'm fairly certain that it's possible to create a tulpa by accident; I sure as hell didn't sit down and make Tepes. Like you, I was having some troubles in life when he just spoke to me one night. (In bed at the time, too) I treated him like another personm and it grew from there.

The problem is that now the crisis has passed and my health has improved, he has made it clear that he needs a new 'project' and desires more interaction.

Can anyone provide any info or links also on tulpaes that desire to 'step over' from the wonderland to our realm of existence? (Did I use the right terminology, if not sorry this is all new to me.)

It depends on what kind of interaction he wants. If he just wants to see reality, you may want to check out a guide on imposition if you haven't already. Possession or switching may also fit the bill in terms of a project; it takes a continued team effort to learn them and would let your tulpa explore a bit more.

Hope this helps you and your tupper.