Tulpa Evidence,Studies and links to psychology ???

lyca0n_

Hey, new to having a account on these forums after lurking for quite a while and have been sort of really skeptical of the concept of inducing a form of pseudo double consciousness, it's not that I find those upon these forums idiotic as a matter of fact I believe quite the opposite which is why I am asking questions of such skepticism which if were asked on any religious or voodoo forum would normally get me either banned or classed as a idiotic non believer (situation)

Now a few quick questions for those that may actually be bothered to answer and are reasonably educated and have done research within the community 

1.I do like the concept of this but can I ask do any know if there is any correlation between tulpa forcing or "Tulpamancy" *COUGH*Retarded name*COUGH* and any mental illnesses such as do those that practice this to induce these thought patterns share any attributes to those with disassociative identity disorder ?

2.Are there any side affects of certain practices as imposition and disassociation seem to both be bordering on the lines of attempting to change brain activity that induce negative mental effects ??? (although I personally doubt that many could induce hallucinations through sheer will alone unless they have a genetic predisposition and its triggered easily or they see their baby brothers face mauled to death by puppies at ten and use this as a coping mechanism ) 

3.Have there been any studies or brain scans done on those that practice this ? as I know its not large but one would expect that one or two bronies during the mass influx that joined to have a degree in psychology 

4. If I tried this myself with a skeptical mindset would I achieve results or would it turn out to be bullshit. As I am pretty sure that if someone state that you have to have faith then pretty much all of above might as well be null in void if all I am doing is wasting time when I could be sating my good love Righty Handy

"I've always felt alone my whole life,

for as long a I can remember.

I don't know if like it.. or if I'm just used to it, but I know this:

Being lonely does thing to you,

and feeling shit and bitter

and angry all the time just.... eats away at you"

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you call it? Do you prefer "fire magic" over "pyromancy"? It's not a serious name, but there's nothing wrong with it in my opinion. You can just say "having a tulpa" if you want.

There was literally a thread on number 1 less than a week ago: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-tulpas-and-dissociative-disorders-screening-for-correlation

But as someone who's seen a lot more people than that thread has, no, there is no relation. Tulpamancy is practiced purposefully and consciously. Nobody starts suffering from mental illness after creating a tulpa, unless they were already prone to it in the first place. Which is possible by the way, best to keep things simple if for any reason you're at risk of that sort of stuff. But I've not seen it happen personally. The people I see who have problems related to their tulpas had some serious problems well before they had tulpas, or were involved with drugs.

We're a skeptical system. Can't take things on faith or without explaining them thoroughly, would bug us too much. We've explained the existence and nature of tulpas (at least, those like our systems' anyway) to ourselves and others many times. Old post by my host on skepticism: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-how-hard-is-it-to-get-started-for-a-sceptic?pid=159973#pid159973

Believing in the phenomenon helps, but only because doubting it hinders. You're training your mind to simulate another person until it becomes automatic and thorough, there doesn't have to be anything unexplainable or otherwise requiring "faith". But you have to be willing to actually figure the process out through introspection. Getting lazy and passing the phenomenon off as impossible is pretty sad. The whole phenomenon takes place in your perception of events in your mind, there's nothing real or fake about it, only what you experience.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Tulpas are at least pseudoconscious. I don't know where you are getting your doubts from, that's not the part that is hard to believe.

1) Yep, there's a correlation. Lots of them with lots of different conditions. But you won't find statistically significant correlations at this time because the community is too small.

2) Yo, when you properly define "negative mental effects???" I'll get back to you. Rest assured! You can do it without a predisposition to hallucination.

4) You won't achieve results even if you believe. The failure rate is quite high.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

If they're going to be pseudo-conscious, pseudo-sentient, etc., you might as well chalk tulpas as p-zombies since that's an actual thought experiment that can be consistent. But for some, that labeling just begs the question as to why the host has exclusive reigning over their own sentience, but when treating someone else as sentient within their mind, they, the thoughtform, becomes second-hand or downgraded?

Not saying you're saying this, but, you know. It's just that when it come to degrees of sentience within the same mind others can trust the other person is capably sentient, it's like figuring out who's more, or less artificial than the other. But, I'm not sure such words can be used as adjectives in this context.

There is plenty of room for scepticism in this endeavour. But a tulpa's consciousness and sentience are unquestionable. The question is: do the thoughts and emotions demonstrated by the tulpa belong to the tulpa or the host? The question is a question of personhood.

3) I think there might be some brainscans? There are a whack of studies, but I don't think any of them are high quality. At least none of the ones we have on record here.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

Tulpas are at least pseudoconscious. I don't know where you are getting your doubts from, that's not the part that is hard to believe.

1) Yep, there's a correlation. Lots of them with lots of different conditions. But you won't find statistically significant correlations at this time because the community is too small.

2) Yo, when you properly define "negative mental effects???" I'll get back to you. Rest assured! You can do it without a predisposition to hallucination.

4) You won't achieve results even if you believe. The failure rate is quite high.

Oh I don't believe it to be completely impossible but there is just a part of my mind that just has to question everything especially things that I cannot manipulate with strong chemicals  

4.Nice so it is a select few with the gift ( well lets hope I am not a mudblood or squib then if I do try this) but getting serious from my understanding of biology I understand that neural plasticity is of course a factor in being affected by any aspect of human mental and physical activity and artistic ability but in the case of lucid dreaming the success rate is around 75-90% of those who can dream so if that is the case how many that attempt this just will fail would you say ? 

2.Oh I am asking if some of the practices of Disassociation as if it is the same as the psychological phenomenon then it can lead to loss of time and short term amnesia if occurs for prolonged periods (coming from someone with ptsd and disassociates regularly) or even other techniques that I am unaware of that inducing negative affect as I recall a while back that oguigi profile having some issues

Oh and if you can link any of the studies I would appreciate it

What would you call it? Do you prefer "fire magic" over "pyromancy"? It's not a serious name, but there's nothing wrong with it in my opinion. You can just say "having a tulpa" if you want................

.......Believing in the phenomenon helps, but only because doubting it hinders. You're training your mind to simulate another person until it becomes automatic and thorough, there doesn't have to be anything unexplainable or otherwise requiring "faith". But you have to be willing to actually figure the process out through introspection. Getting lazy and passing the phenomenon off as impossible is pretty sad. The whole phenomenon takes place in your perception of events in your mind, there's nothing real or fake about it, only what you experience.

Oh I don't believe it to be impossible but given what your friend stated if the success rate is low enough then it might as well be and as you stated belief helps which is slightly better than most other forums I have been on but I am a skeptic by very nature and you can see why I would be skeptical towards this concept in the same way that many psychologists are even doubtful of the existence of disassociative identity disorder

No I prefer the term chemistry to modern alchemy or modern pyromancy, I personally find the name insipid but that's just due to personal experience and I don't take issue with those that would

And thanks for the response that was so in depth as I think you answered all my questions well and in all within a first responce, I approach everything with doubt until proven otherwise but I think that I may even make an attempt at this if simply as a mental exercise out of free time if nothing else

Guest Anonymous

Tulpamancy is a pseudo-science internet fad and quasi-religious in nature.  It is based mostly on faith.  There is no conclusive scientific evidence in support of tulpamancy being anything but what I just described.

But a tulpa's consciousness and sentience are unquestionable. 

This is a load of crap.

Oh I don't believe it to be impossible but given what your friend stated if the success rate is low enough

No, ignore him. I would've replied to it on my own even if you weren't taking it so seriously. Tulpamancy does not have a high failure rate and it is not a "gift". The only way in which that statement could be close to true is if by failure rate you mean people decide they don't have enough time and effort to keep paying their tulpa attention.

If you give a crap it isn't hard. The percentage of people who legitimately try for a large amount of time and end up with no success is small. They do exist, see the "X years no progress" threads here, of which I know two individuals, maybe three. You know. Out of every other posting member that has a tulpa. Some people who try do "fail" but that's relatively rare.

https://community.tulpa.info/thread-sentience-what-constitutes-failure-to-create-a-tulpa-when-do-you-give-up

This is a load of crap.

Tulpa sentience is unquestionable if the host is assumed to be sentient. They're using the same, assumed-sentient brain.

Tulpa consciousness is extremely questionable, and supposedly unknowable. We don't personally believe tulpas have their own conscious minds, we think they share their host's.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Guest Anonymous

Tulpa sentience is unquestionable if the host is assumed to be sentient. They're using the same, assumed-sentient brain.

Tulpa consciousness is extremely questionable, and supposedly unknowable. We don't personally believe tulpas have their own conscious minds, we think they share their host's.

I don't think that is what Tulpa meant. I may have misinterpreted him. But I do agree with your statement.