Pepper's Ghost

Sophie

Question

You can skip to the paragraph before the image if you like. This is just a verbose introduction for anyone who's interested.

This is really just a combination of this and this, and it's not even an original combination -- anyone who knows anything about stage magic would probably have thought of this if they read the first thread I linked there.

Giambattista della Porta may be the inventor of this technique. In 1584, he wrote the first known description of it, which he titled: "How we may see in a Chamber things that are not" -- almost as if he knew this would be used for imposition someday. In 1862, Henry Dircks tried to sell this idea to theaters, but nobody was buying. Later that year, John Henry Pepper saw Dircks perform the technique, and later became the first person to use this on stage, in a performance of Charles Dickens's The Haunted Man. Ever since then, the technique has been known as Pepper's Ghost.

You've probably seen this technique in stage plays, haunted house attractions, magic shows, concerts (Tupac's Hologram), or children's toys. It's also why filmmakers expect us to believe turn of the century stage magicians could produce 3D holograms, in films like The Illusionist and perhaps Oz the Great and Powerful.

Here's a good description of the technique with a diagram. To apply this to forcing, what you want to do is take a cardboard box and modify it like so:

2vns1g2.jpg

Cut large holes where the red lines are. Secure a pane of glass or similar material upright where the cyan line is, and tape a picture to the back wall of the box where the green line is. Cut an additional hole in the top of the box between the cyan and green lines for a light to shine in on the picture of your tulpa. (Or I guess you can use a laptop, phone, tablet, digital picture frame, or some other illuminated screen to display the picture, and you won't need the top hole for the light.)

Set this contraption at eye-level on one side of a room. (A stack of books on top of a table might work to get it up high enough) You sit on the side represented in the bottom of the picture above, and look through hole, glass, and hole at the other end of the room. The room should be dimly lit, and when you look through this box at it, you'll see the ghostly image of your tulpa standing on the other end of the room. You may need to adjust the position of the box so that your tulpa is the right size relative to the other objects in the room.

Look at the image of your tulpa until it's as solid as anything else in the room. When that happens, get rid of the box and see how well you can do without it.

Huh. Interesting guide. I liked magic tricks as a kid, though I thought they were real and not just tricks. Long story short, my childhood was slowly dying after that. Anywho, I'd love to give this a try, though I'd have to use plastic wrap instead of glass. And I'll probably use a variety of box sizes and what have you.

Plastic wrap. I hadn't thought of that. You'd have to pull it taut -- wrinkles could mess things up.

If that doesn't work, you could also try cutting the side off some sort of transparent plastic container, if you can find one that's relatively flat -- maybe the front of a CD case, if it's not too scratched up. You also might be able to swipe glass panes from picture frames, or wall clocks.

Plastic wrap. I hadn't thought of that. You'd have to pull it taut -- wrinkles could mess things up.

If that doesn't work, you could also try cutting the side off some sort of transparent plastic container, if you can find one that's relatively flat -- maybe the front of a CD case, if it's not too scratched up. You also might be able to swipe glass panes from picture frames, or wall clocks.

CD case worked perfect, though I couldn't get the right lighting out of my room. I feel like I could make some huge progress with this guide, awesome idea. Oh, and I also used fede's blinking imposition guide. I only tried this for a short period of time so it's hard to say if it will actually show results, but it seems very effective.

That's really cool. I've been experimenting with something like that, but I didn't know it was already an established imposition method.

Yeah I approve for Resources.

The big spoiler at the top hurts my eyes and it really doesn't do anything. If someone is short of attention then they'll just skip to the picture.

Anyway this seems like a good idea to me. Technically I'm sure it's fine, although I didn't try it - the illusion is pretty well established so I don't think I need to. I wonder how well it actually works as an imposition method; but if nothing else it would definitely be a useful visualisation tool.

Well first of all, gotta say that you might want to remove the spoiler tag as it's pretty distracting. It doesn't actually remove it from sight after all, as this site uses black box spoilers instead of having it hidden or something, so it seems unnecessary. Might just want to have it be normal text and then clearly point out where your actual thing starts with a title or something, I think that would look better.

Anyways, this could be some good, helpful material to help with imposing. Have you tried it yourself, by the way? Would be interesting to hear what kind of results you've gotten out of it. I don't think there's really anything wrong with this entry, either, though others are always free to add their two cents.

So I am going to approve this, though please think of the spoiler tags. This is technically a guide but not a tupper guide, and you might say that deep down this is just tips and tricks material ("use this box to see tupper wow imposition!"), but it's got good instructions to make something that could help so uh. I'd say it's resources material.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Haven't tried this but will approve for resources.

"Assert the supremacy of your Imaginal acts over facts and put all things in subjection to them... Nothing can take it from but your failure to persist in imagining the ideal realized."

-Neville Goddard