Imposition Questions

ShinigamiK

Hello,

My apologies if there is already a thread for this-- my search turned up no results...

How common is visual imposition? Do most of you actually see your tulpae in the physical world, or is it predominately in visualization/a wonderland?

Arcing off that a little, what is the most common type of imposition? As a psychology student, I would assume aural imposition, but what are your experiences?

Thus far all of my interactions with my tulpae have been in the wonderland and with mental voices (not actual spoken word), but I haven't really pushed for more than that yet. Psychology student = hesitance regarding hearing voices. However, I have been/am fascinated by the concept and am considering attempting something of the sort.

Thank you for your answers!

EDIT: Changed "transposition" to "imposition" due to misremembering the correct term.

The word you're looking for is imposition, that will give you more search results. I think tactile imposition is more common than other types, it seems to be the easiest to trick the brain into feeling. We don't have any imposition down ourselves, just visualization.

Host: YukariTelepath

Tulpas: Aya, Ruki

Imposition log

Oh, I was kind of hoping you were drawing "transposition" from some unknown independent source.

Completely realistic, immersive, and opaque imposition is possible, but extremely rare. It is an open question as to whether just anyone can achieve it or if it is dependent on a preexisting disposition. Back in 2012-3, fully realistic imposition was assumed to be the achievable end goal for everyone in the community, but among that group, both those who succeeded and those who did not have moved on without leaving us a reliable path to follow.

The 2018 tulpa community census asked systems to report their skill at imposition of a scale from zero to ten. From 322 systems reporting, we have the following results:

0: 129

1: 42

2: 24

3: 33

4: 15

5: 28

6: 15

7: 13

8: 9

9: 6

10: 8

Source: https://sites.google.com/site/tulpacensus2018/skills

So really good imposition is definitely not common.

After ten months of working on imposition every day, our skill level is zero, or at least our success level is zero.

I don't have any hard data how common different types of imposition are, but my impression from the community, despite the prominence of uncontrolled AVHs in the wild, is that touch may be the easiest sense to synthesize and control.

If you're nervous about hearing voices, look into the work of the Hearing Voices Network/Hearing Voices Movement, which seeks to reduce the strong and harmful stigma against hearing voices in the West:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_Voices_Movement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_Voices_Network

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

Imposition as a tulpamancy skill is nearly never natural, it's almost always a learned skill. Our system picked it up pretty quick after finding this community (we'd been around for 4 years before that point), in about two weeks of imposing very frequently and consistently. Specifically, Lumi imposed the (at the time) three of us with him when walking around his college campus, and before and after class (usually to have us find seating). That along with at-home sessions of him shaping out our forms in the air with his hands, more intently trying to see us rather than have us moving around and such, was enough to get a pretty solid basis to live with from there.

We've since used imposition just as frequently as visualization when communicating, as our visualization is very poor (imposition isn't better, but.. visualization isn't better) and the wonderland was never a place we naturally lived or interacted in (it's more a place we specifically visit sometimes, to practice visualization or talk as a group, which.. we still prefer to do with imposition).

Best advice I can give is to simply try and see your tulpa in real life. Imagine they're in front of you, pat out their form with your hands. Walk around them slowly, because for some reason for us this makes them appear more vividly. Then just have them accompany you in life as best they can, practice makes better-than-you-were.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

I mean, I could've sworn I heard "transposition" as a term for this, but I've spread such a wide net of research that I couldn't place it.

You are an awesome human. Thank you for your thorough response and links!

I am much less concerned about hearing voices than I used to be, hence looking more seriously into this now.

It is both disappointing and heartening to see that imposition is not a thing tulpamancers are commonly adept at, but seeing a breakdown like that is helpful. I'll be looking into some guides to experiment with for Ardis and Friend-Who-Has-Yet-To-Choose-A-Name. ^.^

Note that we never used a guide for anything, not even Switching, simply did what made sense to us. For Switching it can help (but not take away all of the struggle) to look through some stuff, but for Imposition it really seems as simple as just trying and doing. There's practice techniques like the one(s) I mentioned maybe, but a guide may be overkill. Or not, just saying.

And while imposition isn't something everyone does, that doesn't mean everyone couldn't learn it. They just either had no interest, didn't realize it was a thing, or didn't get it with little enough effort for their tastes. Not too many (some, but not a ton) people actually fail to learn at all, though no one tends to reach "lifelike" levels. It's been done, but rarely.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Note that we never used a guide for anything, not even Switching, simply did what made sense to us. For Switching it can help (but not take away all of the struggle) to look through some stuff, but for Imposition it really seems as simple as just trying and doing. There's practice techniques like the one(s) I mentioned maybe, but a guide may be overkill. Or not, just saying.

And while imposition isn't something everyone does, that doesn't mean everyone couldn't learn it. They just either had no interest, didn't realize it was a thing, or didn't get it with little enough effort for their tastes. Not too many (some, but not a ton) people actually fail to learn at all, though no one tends to reach "lifelike" levels. It's been done, but rarely.

It has happened once in my life, in an entirely different context many decades ago, long before I knew anything at all about tulpamancy or tulpas. I have written about it in my first progress report. and it happened again, very close but not quite  'life like", but with a very real  appearance. I have also written about this in my progress reports. This has become my ultimate goal with this practice. I want them with me, in reality, in life like bodies, and I believe that we can achieve it. Thanks, Dr. Bob

My visual imposition ability is limited to being able to create a tiny pinpoint of color after staring at a wall for long enough and after giving myself a headache. I decided that I need to work on my visualization ability more first.

Otherwise, Ranger can hallucinate the smell of salt and vinegar chips when he thinks about them and I can get slight sensations from pressure and the impression of weight. Temperature and finer textures are still a little beyond me at the moment. I can't tell the difference between auditory hallucinations and real sounds sometimes.

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

That's a good point-- that not everyone in the study may have even been working toward imposition. Thank you for the observation/encouragement!