In what sense are Tulpae real?

Kalyrian

This is a moral question that's been gnawing at me for awhile now. I mean, I've no doubt Tulpae are real, that's obvious enough from being here (and since I'm working on one myself and she seems pretty sentient to me, heh), but what I'm curious about is how that actually works.

I've been thinking about it for awhile, and I've come to the conclusion that Tulpae seem to be alternate personalities (before you all murder me, I'm not suggesting tulpas = dissociative identity disorder or anything) that run in the background, or something like that, anyway.

I'm probably horribly wrong, but this is bugging me quite a lot and I feel it's important for me to understand what I'm actually making here.

game is hard

That's not what they are. They're other sentient life forms that can be created by you, but not in the sense that they're just an alternate personality. Yeah you can train yourself to switch, but Tulpas are meant to be treated as people and not personas.

Think of it this way. Imagine you were a tulpa, and your host constantly believed you were just an alternate personality instead of someone else with your own viewpoints, experiences, likes, dislikes and more. It's pointless to argue that in the broadest sense of the word that they aren't alternate personalities because strictly speaking they are, but to me at least if you look at them like that you're robbing yourself of a deeper bond with your creation. It sounds like a constant barrier between you.

It's not an alternate personality, it's more like creating an entire second person in your thoughts that becomes real. Personally I would say that at the end of the day does it matter what they actually are if you're both happy? Why waste time with labels like this when it really only complicates things and leads to doubt? I'm sorry if none of this really applies to you. It's a tough topic and I'm only giving what I find for myself and my tulpa to be true.

That's not what they are. They're other sentient life forms that can be created by you, but not in the sense that they're just an alternate personality. Yeah you can train yourself to switch, but Tulpas are meant to be treated as people and not personas.

Think of it this way. Imagine you were a tulpa, and your host constantly believed you were just an alternate personality instead of someone else with your own viewpoints, experiences, likes, dislikes and more. It's pointless to argue that in the broadest sense of the word that they aren't alternate personalities because strictly speaking they are, but to me at least if you look at them like that you're robbing yourself of a deeper bond with your creation. It sounds like a constant barrier between you.

It's not an alternate personality, it's more like creating an entire second person in your thoughts that becomes real. Personally I would say that at the end of the day does it matter what they actually are if you're both happy? Why waste time with labels like this when it really only complicates things and leads to doubt? I'm sorry if none of this really applies to you. It's a tough topic and I'm only giving what I find for myself and my tulpa to be true.

My apologies, I did think I'd worded the title a bit wrongly.

I really just don't know how to talk about this entire thing with Tulpas. This is my second time writing my response, and I just can't really find a way to explain what I was worrying about here.

By saying "alternate personality" and not detailing that properly, I completely misled the people reading this and apologize. I only meant that in the sense of how she actually exists: I didn't mean it in the sense that she's an alternate personality of me.

I am absolutely crap at explaining this sort of thing so I'm not going to wordwall. I just don't want anyone getting the wrong impression: I treat her as a completely different person than me, because she is. I don't treat her anything just like an alternate personality, I just honestly don't know how to explain it properly. Tulpae are a subject so utterly different to anything else I've found so far, I just don't know how to talk about them.

This post is probably just a pointless rant that doesn't have anything to do with what you said. I'm sorry. :(

EDIT: "It's not an alternate personality, it's more like creating an entire second person in your thoughts that becomes real. Personally I would say that at the end of the day does it matter what they actually are if you're both happy? Why waste time with labels like this when it really only complicates things and leads to doubt? I'm sorry if none of this really applies to you. It's a tough topic and I'm only giving what I find for myself and my tulpa to be true."

Basically, the whole "creating an entire second person" thing was what I was wondering about. I want to know how the whole sentience thing of Tulpae works, and if they're actually properly sentient or just appear to be.

That is what I was obsessing over.

game is hard

Oh don't worry it's alright! It's a very difficult topic and you'll see a hundred different answers...

But to answer your question bluntly, yes. They become entirely sentient after you keep developing them. You can tell this because they will have their own emotions and thoughts, and when you talk to them you'll start to understand that these answers are not coming from you. I started off thinking the same but now whenever Zola and I talk it's pretty much a guarantee that I know this isn't me. It happens differently for people, but I understand it because she started answering me in very surprising ways. Things I never would have thought of myself, and they were very emotional as well. Definitely something someone couldn't come up with if they weren't sentient and independent.

I hate to repeat it again but it really is a self fulfilling prophecy. If you believe they'll become sentient they will, but if you're unsure then it will take you a very long time.

Hopefully someone else will chime in soon too, because I'm still relatively new at this... I just happened to have an extremely fast developing tulpa for a few reasons. But you should hear more things from people with experience.

Yeah, I'm roughly 20 days in and my Tulpa, Alex (placeholder name, she plans to choose her own later), already talks to me very rarely, though I can't actually hear her. I just know exactly what she's said sometimes. I have no doubts that she will become sentient, all I was worried about was what "sentient" really was. I thank you for clearing this up, there is no way I would have been able to progress without having my doubts cleared :)

game is hard

I think different people have different views on it, which is highly influenced by their religion, spiritual beliefs, and superstitions. But I do feel that, no matter the belief, it works the same in everyone (that is, creating a sentient- or sentient feeling- being in ones mind).

For me- I have no beliefs in anything religious, spiritual, or superstitious. So I look at tulpas differently than someone with different outlooks on life. I think it tends to offend, so I don't much talk about it. I still treat my tulpa the same as anyone else would despite this, and usually don't even think about my personal views on tulpas, because that makes him sad. Because that's really the point; no matter my beliefs if I don't treat him like he is real [you are real, dear] then problems occur. And I don't want him sad!

[align=center]“From my rotting body,

flowers shall grow

and I am in them

and that is eternity.”[/align]

I'd say its a big game of memory, thats why you need to force so much. Your brain starts to remember that other personality and then BOOM! You got a tulpa. your brain definatly isnt using all of its memory space, so another personality with its own memories, likes, dislikes, beliefs, Is a peice of cake if it can remember all of those qualities.

No offence intended, just looking at this from the most scientific prepective.

Tulpas are real in the same way that hosts are. It doesn't matter that we don't physically exist; our minds are as real as yours, and that's what makes us real. We're not "a big game of memory", like LittleTulpa said; we're real people. There's no difference in how real me and my host are, because tulpas ARE real people, just like hosts. Don't listen to anyone who tries to say tulpas aren't as completely real as hosts are.

-Link

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)

I feel like it has less to do with an overall objective view and more about how each individual defines 'real'. Does 'real' mean something tangible, or is it merely the idea of something that makes it real? Now, of course, as it's been pointed out, Tulpas are 'real' in the purest sense of the word (they exist), but it's your outlook on reality itself which determines how real Tulpas, or anything not directly and/or obviously part of the world (eg. Consciousness), are beyond that. Hence, everyone, like King Of Manga said, will likely present their own answers.

As for how they 'work', well, that also depends on how you view things. Do you view it purely from a psychological/scientific standpoint? Perhaps it's more of a spirtual or religious perspective? I suppose what I'm trying to point out is that the question is so open-ended that finding any sort of consistent and objective answer is nigh impossible. Much like it's repeated in other aspects by this community, it's your mind - your perspective - and whatever fits it best is ultimately what you will most likely choose to believe.

Hopefully what I've written is at least somewhat helpfull (and not just pointless banter).

Best of luck to you