Hello There, Guest! Register

Poll: I will use "tulpanto" instead of "tulpamancer!"
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Sure!
18.75%
3 18.75%
I need time/I'm not convinced yet.
81.25%
13 81.25%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[Misc] Behold, "Tulpant!" Does it have a better "ring", y'all?
Pleeb Offline
Owner
Forum Administrators

Threads: 72
2 Attached Accounts

RE: Behold, "Tulpanto!" I bring you a new word from Esperanto.

Coming from someone whose studied Esperanto, I like the concept. I have to mirror what others have said though; tulpanto just doesn't have a ring to me.... Doesn't have that connection in English... maybe it's because I'm just used to using "tulpaforcing / forcer", and even "tulpamancer" -- just rolls off the tongue better for me... But maybe I'm just used to the others. Tulpado kind of sounds like torpedo to me.

I think this is a good time to look at new terms though, but I found in these kinds of situations, things that evolve naturally usually end up holding more substance than something we decide we should start using... Even English has unintendedly become that "widely-accepted universal language" that Esperanto was meant to be...

As much as we forced the plural "tulpae" in the early days, I'm probably the only one using that derivative in this thread.
01-23-2019, 03:38 AM
Website Find Reply

Sponsors:
Lolflash - click it, you know you want to

J+C Offline
Back the 14th
Registered

Threads: 23

RE: Behold, "Tulpanto!" I bring you a new word from Esperanto.

What about dropping the "o" and using the English -ant suffix, like in applicant? Tulpa and tulpant. Pronounced tul-pant, which is more like tul-pint in my accent. Does tulpant have more of an ring? It's also incredibly easy to make plural: tulpant, tulpants.

-J

Tulpanto and two tulpas!
01-23-2019, 05:14 AM
Find Reply
Ember.Vesper Online
And Iris
Registered

Threads: 1

RE: Behold, "Tulpant!" Does it have a better "ring", y'all?

I really like "-mancer" and "-mancy", while really hating the sound and cultural associations of "tulpa", so you're fundamentally coming from the wrong direction to address my concerns. Though, even if the scattered many thousands of tulpas and hosts were willing to come together to seriously discuss a name change, I don't have what I consider a viable replacement.

-Ember

Ember - Host   |   Vesper - Soulbond (since ~12 May 2017)   |   Iris - Soulbond (since ~5 December 2015)
[Our Progress Report]     [How We Switch]
01-23-2019, 07:25 AM
Find Reply
Someone Offline
Mind Quintet
Registered

Threads: 2
3 Attached Accounts

I think tulpant sounds better than tulpanto.

Tulpant/Tulpas: N, Azure, Damien, Jade, Spark.
Other: Torea, Kaffryn, Zachary

[PR] [Chat] [Don’t Release the Manatee]
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2019, 07:47 AM by Someone.)
01-23-2019, 07:47 AM
Find Reply
ShadowsDancing Offline
Registered

Threads: 0

(01-23-2019, 07:25 AM)Ember.Vesper Wrote: I really like "-mancer" and "-mancy", while really hating the sound and cultural associations of "tulpa", so you're fundamentally coming from the wrong direction to address my concerns. Though, even if the scattered many thousands of tulpas and hosts were willing to come together to seriously discuss a name change, I don't have what I consider a viable replacement.

-Ember

My views exactly.
01-23-2019, 09:34 PM
Find Reply
YukariTelepath Offline
Perpetual Procrastinator
Registered

Threads: 1
1 Attached Account

I really don't like tulpanto. In my opinion if there's a new term it should make sense in English or be composed of familiar suffixes used in the English language. Tulpant doesn't mean anything to me either, the tulpa part gets swallowed up by... pant.

Also, I'm fine with the terms tulpamancer/tulpamancy.
01-24-2019, 04:23 PM
Find Reply