Do Tulpas Recall Dreams Differently From Their Host?

Ranger

I am interested in dreaming and lucid dreaming because I think it could lead to learning how to switch. Oddly enough, I don't remember our dreams but my host Cat does.

Is this a normal thing where some Tulpas are either worse at/better at dream recall than their host or is this something I can work on through more practice fronting? Even if the reality is dream recall has nothing to do with switching ability, I still would like to remember our dreams just for the heck of it.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

I'm interested in dreaming and lucid dreaming too, but I'm not sure how it relates to switching.

Every system is a bit different, but for us, switching is the easiest thing in the world, a simple act of choosing to have or not have control over the body. Ember's presence tends to fade out almost immediately if I'm not sparing attention to focus on her, though with practice, she's getting better at thinking more clearly with less effort on my part. We've speculated that soulbonds tend to be created 'closer to the front' than tulpas, and roleplay soulbonds perhaps more so than media-derived soulbonds. The foundations of my identity were laid while she was both controlling the body and recasting her mind in the shape of mine, so there seems to only be a miniscule step between that and my taking control.

On the other hand, for seventeen months I never dreamed at all. When Ember goes to sleep, she dreams and I just... stop. When she wakes up, I wake up simultaneously. A couple of weeks ago, we woke up to my sleepily musing on memories of a conversation with Ember's wife when I realized the conversation didn't fit into any broader context and couldn't have actually happened. I was excited to realize it must have been a dream.

There have been a few debatable cases since then where I was a character in Ember's dreams (as a headmate, not separately embodied). I don't know how much of my awareness was actually present, but in non-lucid dreaming, people already aren't in their right minds, so it probably isn't reasonable to expect very strong self-awareness.

Last night, we tried having me front while going to sleep for the first time, to see if it would have any beneficial effect versus insomnia. (Not much, but worth further experimentation.) The first time we woke up, Ember was fronting again. We switched back and the second time we woke up, I woke up fronting for the first time. I remembered dreams, but there was nothing of me in the dreams -- they were definitely her dreams.

It seems to me that accessing up memories of dreams, fleeting and nonsensical as they are, would be almost identical to accessing any other host memories. Are you saying that you can draw freely on Cat's waking memories and not at all on her dream memories? That is so different from my experience that I can’t conceive how it’s possible. I'd like to hear more on how you store and access memories in general. The key to improved memory access probably lies in there.

It's worth noting that Ember and I have only a single ‘track’ of memory between us, from the perspective of whoever is fronting, and that we can both access it with equal ease anytime we are aware. It's a little annoying sometimes to remember yourself overwhelmingly from someone else's perspective, but at least there isn't a sense of time loss as there is among Ember's wife's alters.

-Vesper

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

It seems to me that accessing up memories of dreams, fleeting and nonsensical as they are, would be almost identical to accessing any other host memories. Are you saying that you can draw freely on Cat's waking memories and not at all on her dream memories? That is so different from my experience that I can’t conceive how it’s possible. I'd like to hear more on how you store and access memories in general. The key to improved memory access probably lies in there.

-Vesper

Oh, I can see Cat's memory of the dream just like any other memory she has, I'm just sad that those memories are not really my own.

I heard another system figured out switching, and I noticed their tulpa had their own dreams. I wonder if having my own dreams and my own memories about dreams would get me and Cat closer to switching.

As for the dissociation part, right now Cat's terrible at it. She has tried several times, but she can't relax enough or something to fully dissociate.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

"Switching" with your tulpa in dreams could help learn to switch in waking life, probably. Tulpas generally should remember dreams the same way they occurred, since it was a singular experience being referred back to. Tulpas might have their own version of memories if they were there for it, but it's hard to say if those are real memories or the mind filling in the blanks. A tulpa remembering dreams better than their host is probably a sort of "gimmick" rather than actual ability of the tulpa - the tulpa could be associated with dream recall or the dreaming state and automatically have a better link to those memories when being thought about/from the perspective of, which could also be the case with things like dream journals or talking to a friend about them etc.

But I guess we won't know some of these things for sure until we do it ourselves.

Hi. I'm one of Luminesce's tulpas. Unlike the others, I don't think I stand out too much from him personality wise.

I'm just special because "I'm a tulpa". So I don't think I've much to offer, here. I'm happy enough to just be with him.

Ask us stuff - https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas