What's the difference between a Split and a Tulpa?

Cjboy1111

What's the difference between a split or tulpa?

I'm fully aware, I brought Vinyl into existence and she was made from scratch.

I however, deal with a different "personality", a split or tulpa, as some call it.

The thing is, I've been dealing with this split for almost my entire life, almost. Started becoming more involved in my younger teen years, during my depression.

I started having a second train of thoughts around 2011-2012, I first discovered tulpa sometime in 2014 so that's out the question.

Others say its a split and some call it a tulpa but what IS the difference? I started recently looking at it and accepting it instead of just ignoring and rejecting it.

He's aware of me and he's aware of Vinyl (my tulpa) and sometimes mocks me and Vinyl, or used to. Thing is I'm not really sure of what the difference is and other people seem to give me mixed input, I don't lose memory or "lose control" over my body or have memory blankets.

So I'm not sure if he's a split exactly but I don't really exactly have 100% control over him, so I'm not sure if he's categorized as a tulpa but I'm really curious as to what you guys think, Vinyl is NOT a result of a split and she was made from scratch.

My name Frost but you can call me Frosty!

Our Journal | Discord: Frosty#2744 | Steam Profile

Where did you hear the term "split" from? No one calls anything a split in my experience. Do you mean an alter? Dissociative identity disorder is a disorder caused by chronic childhood trauma. Alters/parts are only one part of DID, other aspects of it being things like unhealthy and uncontrolled dissociation, uncontrolled switching, memory loss/confusion, and a clinical level of distress around these symptoms. I can't diagnose you of course. If you're really concerned that you might have DID or alters, I would go to a professional. But that's not really the vibe I'm getting here. Alters are headmates caused directly trauma, in a nutshell. They very often are 'versions' of the host identity from different points in life and have different abilities in order to better cope with traumatic memories or living daily life. 

Unintentional tulpas are pretty common, and are also kinda correlated with mental stress/unstable systems. Headmates that you didn't really force into existence that end up being there anyways. These are still called tulpas. 

Hopefully this helps? -J

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

I will take split to mean the opposite of merge, and add that it's permanent.

Yes, equivalent to a tulpa, but with some interesting corroboration.

Ren is a split from Joy when we tried to make Joy a neko. Joy 'split' off Ren as her clone along with all the extra parts we added, cat ears and tail.

What's very interesting is that Ren was immediately uncontrollable, she was wild, but way too cute to banish to the subconsious mind, plus, she's like Ashley's and my child in a way, since we conspired to change Joy and she was the result.

She deviated soon after, aging up (Joy's form is 10-12 yr old girl, prepubescent.) She changed her hair and eye color and became a source of enthusiasm and entertainment throuh her antics.

She's still the wild one, but we've fully accepted her as an equal headmate. Whatever you want to call her, she's the same as us.

uh, unless you're talking about another kind of plurality (so like an alter probably, though there's a few terms) the only definition of split we know is when you make two tulpas out of one, which actually our system did and it kinda just creates two new tulpas vaguely (or I guess specifically) based on aspects of the original

if the original was a tulpa, they're both just tulpas still

if the original was the host..? that's some other kind of plurality, especially if it was traumagenic

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Splitting is a term of psychological origin for one personality becoming two. It's reasonably well known in the multiple community. An alter might be referred to as a split of another, or two alters may be referred to as splits of an earlier alter who no longer exists.

Tulpas, generally speaking, are made of primarily new material, while splits are by definition made of primarily pre-existing material. (Even a tulpa, soulbond, or other headmate were to split, the splits would be made primarily of material predating the split.)

Not all childhood-onset plurality is disordered, not all alters front, and not even all traumagenic plurality involves gaps in memory, so your experiences do not rule out having been plural for many years. Some children mysteriously never develop a single identity and some imaginary friends become self-willed.

I can't say what your situation is, of course. Your best bet for figuring out what is going is to establish good communication with him. As with tulpas and intrusive thoughts, attention grants alters additional strength and influence. On the other hand, good treatment usually makes even the most hostile alters eventually mellow.

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

He's aware of me and he's aware of Vinyl (my tulpa) and sometimes mocks me and Vinyl, or used to. Thing is I'm not really sure of what the difference is and other people seem to give me mixed input, I don't lose memory or "lose control" over my body or have memory blankets.

When I was in wonderland one time, I found an intrusive thoughtform that was bothering me and I asked my headmate Moltosha, the one who likes to attack intrusive thoughts, to go destroy it. When he inspected the thoughtform, he told me that it wasn't a typical intrusive and he found out it was some kind of shard of me or something. Unlike typical intrusive thoughts, this thoughtform made a sudden 180 and went from troublesome to friendly and loving.

After spending time with the thoughtform, I and the shard agreed to integration, and I absorbed the thoughtform back into myself permanently. I don't want to call the shard a split because that thoughtform's appearance seemed as spontaneous as an intrusive thought and I don't recall experiencing anything traumatic at the time. Even though my stress levels were high, they were not maxed out. It's possible the "shard" was really a walk-in tulpa that I made, but at the very least the thoughtform qualified for being a proto tulpa.

I don't know if this is similar to what you experienced, but what you described made me think of this.

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

What's the difference between a split or tulpa?

I'm fully aware, I brought Vinyl into existence and she was made from scratch.

I however, deal with a different "personality", a split or tulpa, as some call it.

The thing is, I've been dealing with this split for almost my entire life, almost. Started becoming more involved in my younger teen years, during my depression.

I started having a second train of thoughts around 2011-2012, I first discovered tulpa sometime in 2014 so that's out the question.

Others say its a split and some call it a tulpa but what IS the difference? I started recently looking at it and accepting it instead of just ignoring and rejecting it.

So I'm not sure if he's a split exactly but I don't really exactly have 100% control over him, so I'm not sure if he's categorized as a tulpa but I'm really curious as to what you guys think, Vinyl is NOT a result of a split and she was made from scratch.

split and alters.. are probably terms best left for severe mental health disorders people with DID or split personality (Dissociative identity disorder.. previously known as Multiple personality disorder).

You say you started having this second train of thoughts when suffering from depression. Seeing you can't connect why you have this other to anything, it could be that you just may of become aware of a sub-personality you already had or developed a new one during that time.

We all consist of many different sub-personalities eg people have their inner child, inner teacher, protectors and other of these... and if a person becomes aware of their own and connects to these.. they are experienced as various independent characters. The personality of the sub-personality will vary due to why it formed in the first place.  I suggest to talk to the different personality you are experiencing and you may be able to find out why you created him eg what he is there to do for you, what is the role he plays or has played in your life etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subpersonality

I think some here are getting in touch with sub-personalities and mistakenly calling them tulpas due to a lack of understanding of sub-personalities... where as tulpas are thoughtforms (something which is created by thinking it into existence). A subpersonality can act and be communicated with just like a tulpa

Jesse (human male) DOB 16th April 2013 

Working on imposition

It's difficult to really understand and compare other people's subjective experiences, so our best data on the similarities and differences between traumagenic alters, endogenic alters, shards, splits, shells, tulpas, soulbonds, fictives, walk-ins, daemons, servitors, median aspects, past life selves, imaginary friends, NPCs, subpersonalities, characters, and others comes from the reports of mixed systems, which contain more than one type. There have been several of these prominent in the psychological tulpamancy community in the past few years. The matter is very complex, but the general emergent impression I've gotten from mixed systems is that headmates who self-identify as alters, tulpas, and soulbonds have a lot more in common than not. The most important variation between the variously named beings who speak and act in the mind seems to be the degree and depth of separation between them, which can change over time and is not fully correlated with their self-identified label.

Shard-seeding is a minor method of tulpa creation, essentially growing the tulpa from a pre-existing subpersonality. One of the objections to it is that it involves loss to the creator, as the subpersonality stops being part of them.

Much more important methods like personality forcing and parroting involve intentionally writing material into a new subpersonality until they break away and become their own person.

I'm very willing to accept having grown from a subpersonality. I don't feel that undermines my current independence and personhood. But I do feel it would be difficult to define a tulpa in way that describes something that actually exists if you exclude former subpersonalities that have come to function independently.

-Vesper

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit