Proper Pluralization of Tulpa

What say you, yea or nay? Let's put this to rest today.

Quoted from Tulpa.info discord, #lounge 11:30am EDT

Indigo Felight wrote:

@Pleeb do you still believe "tulpae" to be the best pluralization

Pleeb wrote:

I used to argue that point back in the day, but I've since had A good reason to change my views.

I vote tulpas

Reason being linguistics-- tulpa is a Tibetan word- you would say llamas not llamae

That's basically the argument against, and a dang good one. -ae is completely irrelevant in pluralizing a non-English word if that word isn't Latin (and tulpa is from sprul-pa, which is Tibetan). If we aren't using the original language's pluralization (often doesn't apply since it could take entire other words to imply a previous or following one is plural), the standard in English is adding an S.

No one can argue that tupae is "correct". The argument is that it doesn't need to be "correct" in the first place. The common consensus is people can say whatever they want. Tulpas is the most agreed upon, tulpae sees regular use, tulpa isn't common but is no more incorrect than tulpae. I feel like there was another but I can't remember it right now.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

I give permission for mods to close the thread if that is the general sentiment. I.e., in that case, use what you want but don't tell others that their version 'is a joke'. Even if it was at some point an actual joke.

Obviously, words change in meaning/intention over time. If someone's using it seriously and not as a joke, then it's not a joke. However it is still important to take origin into account. I'm not too sure about "tulpae," but with a word like "tulpamancy" it was made as a joke originally. As such, I never use the word in guides/writings intended to be serious. People can use words like that on their own ofc, but I do think that something like "tulpae" shouldn't be used in any official guides approved by the community, since it's just awkward to say and a little pretentious. 

But I also agree that this discussion is overdone and generally goes nowhere other than "my version is right" "no my version is right."

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

Honestly, we only started using tulpæ once we discovered that we could type the æ character on the fly.

We can go back to using "tulpas" if people like that better.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

I'm not too sure about "tulpae," but with a word like "tulpamancy" it was made as a joke originally.

Some old (2012) users have claimed "tulpae" was a joke, but I'm sure others who used it at the same time didn't think so. Seems mostly like it was a big misconception, if part joke, that it came to popular use.

But I also agree that this discussion is overdone and generally goes nowhere other than "my version is right" "no my version is right."

My post is all the necessary discussion on the topic, honestly. Unless someone's going to throw more words onto the pile, there's not much more to say: Tulpae makes no sense but is commonly accepted anyway. Tulpas is the ~"official" term. Most won't complain if you say tulpae (or tulpa), but some (not current day members, but in the extended community outside .info, possibly including the Discord) will.

It's just preference.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

...but with a word like "tulpamancy" it was made as a joke originally. As such, I never use the word in guides/writings intended to be serious...

This reminds me of the discord discussion (I think Ranger was there?) about the word "Tulpamancy". The overall consensus was there wasn't a good replacement for it, even though everyone expressed interest in replacing it. I remember "Tulpa Forcers" being the best of the weak candidates provided.

I know this is a little off topic, but I thought this was more interesting to talk about (seeing how this thread otherwise feels resolved).

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

I do have a problem with using tulpa as plural, because either it is confusing because you have to rely on context to know whether it is singular or plural so saying "my tulpa did blank" would be ambiguous for no reason. Or is could be a mass noun where you have to use a classifier to talk about specific units, like corn kernals versus just corn, I have a problem with this because mass nouns are normally used to describe things that a culture doesn't think is particularly individual or easily separated into groups, such as a cup of water instead of just water. I think (and probably most agree) that tulpas are indevidual and human, and the way that we treat the word that describes them should reflect that

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me