Research for a story

ani_cat_candy

Should I keep trying to write the story?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should I keep trying to write the story?

• Yes. Keep working on it.
    • No. You suck.

First off, HI!! I'm Candy! Pleasure to meet y'all!

Okay! On topic:

I recently discovered about Tulpae through a thread that was floating around Tumblr and realized: OMG! I've been making Tulpae all these years, thinking they were only imaginary friends!

I've yet to impose any of them on my real senses, but they are fully sentient and are fully imposed on my mental senses.. if that makes sense..

Gatto (my most developed Tulpa) and I had an idea as we lurked around these forums, waiting for the account to be activated.. A lot of people seem really upset or annoyed by the way Tulpae are portrayed in media.. Why don't we write a story about a more realistic Tulpa? Maybe, eventually make a movie adaption? (I'm an artist and can try doing an animated movie OR I also work with 3D animation and can possibly do it that way)

Well, it won't be realistic per-say, simply because that would be extremely boring.. Someone hanging out with (basically) an imaginary friend that is incapable of doing anything outside the person's mind..

I'm thinking more the "ideal" or "perfect" Tulpa. One who has reached it's (hypothetically) full potential.

What I need help with:

• What are the features you want to see in the Tulpa? (things they're hypothetically capable of)
  • What are some common misconceptions you would like to see addressed?
  • What are some things you do NOT want to see the Tulpa do? (misconceptions of their capabilities)
  • What do you think would be a good plot device? (I'm already using jealousy of another Human taking their owner's attention from them)

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

If you don't want credit for any assistance, Just let me know, otherwise everyone who contributes will be mentioned in credits.

You don't win a war by dyeing for your country,

You make them die for theirs

So I say

Kill them all and let God sort 'em out!

Nothing is true, Everything is permitted.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time travelling because why not.

First off, pleasepleasepleaseplease use 'tulpas' as the plural. Please.

I'd also advise not making it into a pseudo-horror story, or even something that would make the audience uncomfortable about the idea of tulpas (see motorheadlk's suggestion for what might fall under this). It doesn't even have to be primarily about the tulpa being a tulpa; it might be better to have more personal drama as the theme. I don't know how good a writer you are (you may want to state this) but you should be able to write a standard drama, with the tulpa being the complication. It wouldn't have to downplay the tulpa, but the point is to integrate it. I guess you could call it a plot device.

Features: there's a thread about this if you didn't see it.

Misconceptions: the obvious. That tulpas always go wrong/turn evil is a big one. That they are a mental disorder or otherwise harmful, that they aren't really autonomous (this is debatable, of course) are are two others.

Misconception of ability: the only thing I can think of is a tulpa taking control of the host forcefully. I'm not sure that it can be done.

I really want the younger siblings to be able to see Gatto.. Maybe even the pets? Just to add a bit of weirdness to their lives and to make them question weather or not she's as crazy as she seems/acts.

That's a complete misconception and I'd advise against it strongly.

Plot device: a reversal of yours (another human becoming jealous of the tulpa) would be interesting and somewhat less unsettling, I think.

Clearly the proper pluralization of "tulpa" is "tuppers"

Anyway, I have an opinion on Q1

What are the features you want to see in

the Tulpa? (things they're hypothetically

capable of)

I think that they should be represented without too many hypothetical bells and whistles. Just an imposed tulpa, maybe walking through a closed door or something to demonstrate it not being physical. Possibly incorporate experimrnting with possession into the plot?

What are the features you want to see in the Tulpa? (things they're hypothetically capable of)

That the tulpa has ability to do parallel processing, memory modification/deletion, imposed touch, audible and visual hallucinations, better memory of its own (remember things even the host doesn't). Things like that.

What do you think would be a good plot device? (I'm already using jealousy of another Human taking their owner's attention from them)

Make the tulpa be of the same sex of the host, and make he/she fall in love with a human the host doesn't like, and so he/she tries to take over the body of the human (you know about possession and switching, right?). That's probably the most dramatic thing that a tulpa and a host could encounter.

Though it could get people that read it afraid of making a tulpa believing they might want to take their bodies, but hell if I care.

Something like: Male human has a crush on female human. Male tulpa has a crush on another female human. Male tulpa try to take over male body while ruining hosts chances of being with the one he loves.

I'm brazilian and my english is not really good, I'll do every mistake you imagine, but I'll try to avoid them.

Tulpa: Kuruminha

Form: My avatar.

Sentience: Confirmed.

Mindvoice: Not yet.

Working on: Visualization and Mindspeaking.

It's always interesting to see new members who have tulpaforced in the past without really knowing what they were doing (like myself). I don't really have time to contribute to this topic, but I will say that Beyond: Two Souls game is kind of an example of how tulpae are misrepresented in the media. Eiden is a tulpa of the main protagonist that is capable of doing all kinds of freaky supernatural shit like possessing other people or setting things on fire. But tulpae can't really do any of that, and while it makes for good gameplay, at the end of the day it's still a misrepresentation.

"Science isn't about why, science is about why not?" -Cave Johnson

Tulpae: Luna, Elise, Naomi

My progress report

Guest Anonymous

It'd really be better to hold off on it until we've got all of our ducks in a row, and actually understand what tulpae (fuck using "tulpas") are capable of. The idea has been constantly shifting and changing, and I can guarantee that your portrayal of a tulpa now will be outdated within a few months to a year. I do think it's a good idea, however, it would be best executed later on.

I wasn't wanting to make it into a horror story at all. More of a psychological/romance with a bit of comedy.. If any of the characters could be described as 'creepy' it would be the main character who likes to play up on people's assumptions that she's crazy. The Tulpa, Gatto, is a genderless one that I actually have.. I call him 'he' just because it's easier.. He's the one who really keeps the main character grounded and helps her through her problems.. It's going to take me a while to write, so there will be plenty of time for modifications.

My idea was that he gets a bit jealous of the guy the main character gets a crush on, but reluctantly admits he likes him too.

He does 'forcefully' poses her, but only for her own good. She's given him permission to do so a long time ago.

All I have so far is that her family was murdered/killed somehow (not going to say how and ruin any surprises for anyone who ends up reading it if it gets done) and she's gone to live with some family friends.. They have a very handsome son that she ends up falling for. I really want the younger siblings to be able to see Gatto.. Maybe even the pets? Just to add a bit of weirdness to their lives and to make them question weather or not she's as crazy as she seems/acts.

Thank y'all so much for the help! <3

So I say

Yeah self inserts, sounds like a really good fucking idea.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Happens all the time in the fanfics I write <3

So I say

Write a romcom about a couple with tulpae (or tulpas, pick one) who believe that the other will freak out if they learn the truth, and therefore keep their tulpas a secret until one of them catches the other talking to themselves (or some other slip occurs).

Alternately, write a mystery about JD1215 in which one of his tulpas are murdered by a second, and he must figure out which one the murder is and dissipate it before it strikes again.

Or you could write a ratatouille-esque story in which a (insert skilled profession here) hears voices talking to him/her in his/her work. Our protagonist then visits a psychologist who instructs the protagonist to dissipate the tulpa. Just as the protagonist is about to follow through, the tulpa solves (insert difficult problem in skilled profession here). The protagonist spares the tulpa, and the protagonist becomes famous. Eventually, people find out and his/her reputation is ruined, until people come to understand the nature of tulpas, and etc.

All of my posts, as well as any posts authored by my tulpa(s), are completely fabricated. Nothing I write is to be taken as either fact or evidence of fact.