[split] Complaints

Kiahdaj

~Split from "Mass Intro and Leaving Thread" due to bringing relevant feedback, but being offtopic to the original thread -Derp

Tulpa.info circles increasingly closer to the drain.

That's what has happened since you left.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Tulpa.info circles increasingly closer to the drain.

That's what has happened since you left.

That pretty much sums it up since I've joined. Noobs are the same as noobs are everywhere, but many of the old users have forgotten that they were once noobs, and insist on bringing everyone else down with their cynicism, pessimism, and spite. And so the site circles increasingly closer to the drain.

"'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.'"

Well this site tries to unite two disparate entities: science and imagination. Some people just get too caught up in their imagination to communicate to others properly.

We also have yet to properly study imagination and imposition objectively (or maybe I should look further than page 3 of research but at this point I just want to reach imposition). However, I'm slowly beginning to learn the hard way most time is better spent forcing.

That pretty much sums it up since I've joined. Noobs are the same as noobs are everywhere, but many of the old users have forgotten that they were once noobs, and insist on bringing everyone else down with their cynicism, pessimism, and spite. And so the site circles increasingly closer to the drain.

Ouch~

Except you see, I know that I used to be a noob. Except when I was a noob, I didn't post a thread every time there was something I wasn't 100% sure on. I read around. I used the search function--something it seems a lot of the members these days don't know how to do.

And note that that's not even a quarter of why I, and many others think the site is circling the drain.

Maybe you should actually know what you're talking about, before you go making shots at people.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

I read around. I used the search function--something it seems a lot of the members these days don't know how to do.

And note that that's not even a quarter of why I, and many others think the site is circling the drain.

Maybe you should actually know what you're talking about, before you go making shots at people.

Do enlighten me. Because that's the only complaint I've ever heard.

And it seems to me that most of the noobs do know how to use the search feature. Bobby9macy, Ashmo, Enny, UnknownCraos, Dr. Faust, Silrain the Everlurking, and myself -- that's everyone who's regularly active that I can name off the top of my head who joined in July and August. And not one of us has posted threads for silly questions about the process that you can answer with a search. (I'll grant that I've posted some stupid stuff, but no stupid questions about the process. :) )

Also, of course, there are many people who sign up, post one question, and then never (or almost never) post again. Also, of course, there are people who signed up in September who I don't consider regular yet, and there are probably a few regular posters that slipped my mind. But I think that for the most part, most of the posts on this forum from noobs are reasonable, well-informed, and intelligent. It's a little insulting when half the old-timers are saying we're all idiots and the forums suck because of us.

"'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.'"

Bad mods, idiots are let to be idiots and you're the one getting punished if you make them cry by trying to set them straight, idiocy in general, roleplaying, badges, other stuff where you treat your tuppers as some kind of trophies, no professionalism, treating own opinions as facts, people not being able to take critique (both mods and members), hugboxing, opinions and freedom of speech not allowed because it might make someone cry...

A lot of that is a fault of the IRC channel. All kinds of stupid shit is allowed in there and mods do nothing to stop it. That stupidity then bleeds here, newbies thinking that's what is allowed and even required. And many of the forums mods are IRC mods treating and modding the forums like their precious IRC hugbox. Meaning, problems, they don't step up where they need to and instead come and punish you for breaking their hugbox rules.

New people will come in and see either the horrible IRC channel or these forums, which are getting closer and closer to becoming like the hugbox channel. The users this community could use the most will be turned off by it all and probably never join. As time goes by and the mods do nothing, this site becomes less like a skeptical, scientific forum.

There might be some hope, but I don't think the sensible mods are going to be able to turn the heads of the awful mods anymore. At least the worst mod left after a bitchfit when his decision was judged.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

You're right, I have heard a lot of this before, and I guess I've just dismissed it. And I'm still dismissing it.

It's pretty much a universal law that idiots don't get punished for being idiots -- they can't help it. It would be like punishing fish for swimming. But the way people treat each other is something that can be punished, and usually is. If someone came into my place of business, telling all the idiot customers that they were idiots, I'd have very few customers left unless I kicked that person out.

There was a mod fiasco, but as I understand it, it was resolved. I think for the most part the mods have been doing a pretty good job.

idiots are let to be idiots and you're the one getting punished if you make them cry by trying to set them straight

Telling a person they're making an ass out of themselves to help them in the future is not allowed on .info if the mods get a say in it. The worst ones are the ones who need the most help but are also the ones who will go cry to mods immediatelly. The mods will punish you for that. They will.

As long as the mods pander to their hugbox, nothing is resolved. I've said it before, but now I do understand why they don't ask their members to grow a thicker skin for their own good. Because the mods have very thin skins themselves and are unable to take critique. Would be hypocritical of them to ask that out of their users, sure. But people like that shouldn't be mods in the first place.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Sands, a lot of the time I agree with what you're saying to people, but I think you're saying it in the worst way possible.

A lot of the time when someone says something mean to a person, their instinctive first reaction is "Everything you just said is wrong!" Because that's just the conceit of being human -- we like to imagine that we're perfect, and everyone who says nice things about us is pretty good, and everyone who says mean things is bad and wrong. It might even make them see the entire community poorly.

Now obviously if someone can take a step back from their first reaction, look at things objectively, and actually analyze what you're saying, they'll see that you're right -- but it takes some intelligence to do so, and you don't seem to think of these people as very intelligent to begin with.

In my humble opinion, the mods are right. Someone can still give an answer to an oft-repeated question nicely. When a noob gets a nice response, they're encouraged to continue forcing and to stick with this community. And the next time some noob comes in asking the same question, the first noob will know the answer and might be inclined to pay it forward.

Someone has to say it, and because the mods aren't, we do it the way we want to do it. If the mods were a bit more serious about this and stopped their hugboxing, they could do the job (the job they should be doing in the first place, mind you) the way they wanted, the way that would help the community we wish to create. The fact that they don't only makes it look like they don't care at all, so we keep doing our thing so they are forced to do something. At this rate that something will be more bans and nothing will be done after it, but in the alternative timeline, maybe the mods would've realized their mistakes and stopped hugboxing so our community could grow. And I'm not talking about growing in size.

You're wrong thinking that a stupid reaction like that is instinctive. Something like that is what people have been taught, by hugboxes in both real world and online. Everyone is told they're super special unique snowflakes unable to do anything wrong and anything that isn't praise is wrong and horrible. That hurts people and thinking like that is just plain wrong. Blame is going to be on those who taught them that and who allow them to continue. Once people actually grow up and have to deal with the real world, they'll realize things won't go like that. Unless they're able to handle it, they're not getting far. Here, on .info, we can do it in a relatively safe way. If I call you a faggot because you did something wrong, I'm a nobody. I didn't hurt you, your family, your career or anything in any way that matters. You feelings don't mean anything. You're given all the time to analyze what I wrote and meant and you can do it safely. Maybe you'll find out why and become a better person because of it. If I did that to you face and was your boss, well, if you're not used to it, it's not going to be pretty. And it is going to happen at some point, the world won't be your hugbox.

As long as the mods keep being super pro-hugbox, those opposing their ways have to be very anti-hugbox. If the mods took their jobs seriously and wanted the best for this community, we could balance our acts out. Right now the only way to even try to balance it is to be on the two extremes, which isn't going to get us anywhere. But you can't give up or the scales tip to total hugbox mode.

Everyone is an idiot sometimes. As long as the person understands they're doing something wrong and strive to better themselves, they're not an idiot. So no, I don't think these people aren't very intelligent until they refuse to take advice. That's why I try, because I assume they're going to get it first and only then worry about them being true idiots if they refuse.

In my humble opinion, both you and the mods are wrong. Answering someone's question that has been answered multiple times before only teaches them to be lazy and enables their stupid behavior to continue. They won't be asked to challenge themselves and will never get anywhere unless they will. Answering their questions easily will in fact hurt them in the long run. This community doesn't need people who can't use the search button.