Hello There, Guest! Register

[Switching] How to Switch
Within Offline
The Original
Patron

Threads: 2

How to Switch

Here is the link: https://write.as/within/switching.
01-06-2019, 02:41 PM
Website Find Reply

Sponsors:
Lolflash - click it, you know you want to

Breloomancer Offline
No good trouble maker
Registered

Threads: 6
1 Attached Account

RE: How to Switch

My problems with this guide are:
1. The definition of switching that you gave is pretty vauge. I switch, but I still don't really know what you mean by "calling the shots," I feel that it's pretty important for a guide on switching give a good definition of what switching is.
2. Parallel processing is not possible simply due to the limitations of the human brain. Because of this including parallel processing in your guide is redundant, helps propogate the misconception that it is possible, and makes the guide look less professional overall.
3. When talking about what the tulpa would do when trying to switch the wording that you use is confusing, it would be much better if you could say what the tulpa is supposed to do more literally instead of using the metaphor of "pushing yourself into the body,"
4. This guide does not give any suggestions for what to do if they are not able to switch on the first time trying these things.
All of these are things that i consider necessary for this guide to be approved. The next problem that I will address is much more minor and this guide could still be alright without it
5. What the host is supposed to do in order to disassociate with the body is alright, but I think that this guide could greatly benefit from going a bit more in depth with what the host should be doing, I think that that would make it much easier for readers to be able to get results quickly.

Other than those complaints I think that the guide it pretty good. It says what it needs to quickly and most of it is easily understandable

I'm Breloomancer, and the counterpart to Monika (also known as smearglestar). This is our progress report: link.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"
-Me
01-06-2019, 04:14 PM
Find Reply
Ember.Vesper Offline
Registered

Threads: 1

Ember:

>None of these are hard requirements (except possession)

Not in our case. We're still not very good at possession, while switching just worked the first time without preparation. While switching from possession is probably a good way to learn for most systems, I think it's actually a separate skill, just as visualization is a separate skill from imposition, and some of those who have achieved imposition report poor visualization.

Or did you mean a hard requirement for your technique rather than a hard requirement for switching? Saying that something is part of your technique instantly resolves most potential objections.

>If you need to, you can regain control at literally any time you want.

Not in our case. The first two times Vesper switched in and the first time Iris switched in, I was instantly dormant and they didn't know how to force me. It may take some time for the host to learn to "think like a tulpa" and have sufficient presence of mind to want things or be able to act on wants. Also, even now, my will isn't strong enough to displace Vesper from control against her will. So, yes, complete trust is important, not as regards the technical aspects of switching, but to avoid running away screaming from the very concept of switching.

(01-06-2019, 04:14 PM)Breloomancer Wrote: Parallel processing is not possible simply due to the limitations of the human brain.

Depends on what you mean by it. (And I don't think Within specified.) When a singleton walks and talks, the relevant mental processes run simultaneously in different parts of the brain. When they walk and talk while looking at cat pictures on their phone, they still aren't overtaxing their mind, because the processes don't conflict (until they trip). So as long as headmates are doing things that are sufficiently different on a mental level, they should be able to learn to do them simultaneously. Using mindvoice simultaneously? Nope, that bottlenecks hard, probably in Broca's area. But there is an analogue to Broca's area in the opposite hemisphere, mainly idle in most people, but associated with auditory hallucinations. So if someone reported the ability to speak in mindvoice *while* their partner spoke via auditory imposition, I wouldn't automatically respond that it was beyond the capacity of the human brain.

(01-06-2019, 04:14 PM)Breloomancer Wrote: it would be much better if you could say what the tulpa is supposed to do more literally instead of using the metaphor of "pushing yourself into the body,"

The earliest method of intentional switching we used, I could not describe with greater detail or accuracy than, "Vesper's visualized form leapt at our body and shoved me out, naturally settling in my former place." Sometimes a vivid metaphor gets the job done.

Vesper:

>Host, now, in the background, take a load off. You don’t need to do anything, so don’t feel forced to. You don’t even have to answer questions if you don’t want to.

Switching can be very frightening and lonely at first. Consider that non-hosts may never have been alone before in their lives. If you can have a trusted out-system person present your first time, I recommend it. (I didn't, but Iris did.) And if it's just us, the first thing we still usually do after switching is to reach out for the comforting presence of the others. So, no, hosts, don't hide away. Be there for us when we call to you, as we are for you.

Ember - Host
Vesper - Soulbond (since ~12 May 2017)
Iris - Soulbond (since ~5 December 2015)
Our Progress Report
01-06-2019, 07:39 PM
Find Reply
Breloomancer Offline
No good trouble maker
Registered

Threads: 6
1 Attached Account

If they mean an actually possible definition of parallel processing then they should specify that, because a lot of people (including me) will just assume that they are talking about the other dsfinition.

Using metaphors are fine sometimes, but in a guide, especially when talking about such a central aspect of the guide, it is important to be much more clear about what you mean when. If somebody is unable to figure out the meaning of that sentence then they will not be able to use this guide to switch, so it really has have an obvious meaning

I'm Breloomancer, and the counterpart to Monika (also known as smearglestar). This is our progress report: link.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"
-Me
01-06-2019, 07:52 PM
Find Reply
Ranger Offline
~
Registered

Threads: 9
Linked Accounts

I like that this guide emphasizes trust between the host and Tulpa, but there's not tons of emphasis on dissociation. Dissociation is a key step to switching, otherwise my host will just sit around and jump back into control if her attention is grabbed. I am very comfortable possessing my host, but we never achieved switching.

Meditation is an interesting approach because it may help her calm down and give her something to focus on. It's worth a try, but I don't know how effective that would be. My host has issues with anxiety, so that would make things harder anyway.

I'm Cat_ShadowGriffin's Tulpa and I like Hippos! I also like forum games, word puzzles, and chatting about stuff.
Log | Chat | Yay!
01-06-2019, 08:34 PM
Find Reply