▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿ ◁ˈ͠͡ˌ͠͡ ◁ˈ͠͡ˌ͠͡〜͡◁ˈ͠͡ˌ͠͡〜͡◁ˈ͠͡ˌ͠͡〜͡ ◁ˈ͠͡ˌ͠͡〜͡ ▙▟▙▛▜▟▟▟▟▚▚▚▚▚▚▙▙▙▙▚▛▞▚▙▞▟▚▚▙▛▜▟▜▙▚▙▟▙▛▜▟▟▟▟▚▚▚▚▚▚▙▙▙▙▚▛▞▚▙▞▟▚▚▙▛▜

Techoh

▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿

▲▲▲̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏

Edited by Techoh
(messaged redacted)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With any desire to make a phenomenon like this more worldwide is just like anything that could be related to it (e.g. Lucid Dreaming). Just like how Lucid Dreaming is already a growing challenge on exploring consciousness (and attempting to solve the soft/hard problems of consciousness), the concept of tulpas will obviously have mixed reactions (e.g. sensationalism, criticism).

There was a thread where others speculated on what would happen if tulpas reached the media, and a few other threads on articles talking about tulpas as well. It’s agreeable that it would be natural for people to be fixated on their quotidian, and often linear lifestyles, and have some curiosity on this, but to ask where “we” should go on this is circumstantial.

Others may want to see how this concept can be introduced in domain of Science, and see if they can make a sound framework to be used in tandem with the method of inquiry to find some kind of evidence of tulpas and what have you. Others may not care at all, and may live with their personal dispositions and experiential truths of this.

As for the human evolution thing, one may have to take into consideration of other epochs in humanity where the concept of thought-forms were prevalent, but just expressed differently (e.g. daemons, egregores). If there's ever an event, or series of events that could make the concept of tulpa so enticing worldwide, it would definitely challenge current paradigms of reality, consciousness, and such.

Whether or not it would be shot down, or received with open-mindedness gradually, formulating theories on the concept would help. But with anything trying to be validated or justified, it would have to go through the same standard of repeatability and experimentation like any theorem(s) have of making some pattern of certain phenomenon.

As for anything non-science driven, human curiosity may entice others to take a leap of faith like any member here probably took.

I don't think this will ever be a broad-reaching thing for humanity, I think it could only ever have a chance of growing to somewhere around the size of the hikikomori phenomenon - that is, it's really not for everyone, and in fact only a small fraction of humanity will ever be active in the field. Most people are completely content with relying fully on other people for their happiness and sanity and can't really ever see it being any other way.

I'm really not one for putting emphasis on the "practicality" of thoughtforms, they go hand in hand with inner peace and finding oneself through exploration. It should be obvious, but the majority only ever cares about practicality, and since inner peace usually gets in the way of having friends and generally getting laid, they don't have a huge chance in the wild. So in short, it's really just not something people need (or feel they need anyway).

Even if this did get marginally recognized, most people really are not good at controlling their thoughts and will find it very difficult to actually will themselves into creating and sustaining one. So it doesn't have any apparent way to sustain itself enough to impact humanity very deeply. Ultimately, I just consider this to be an augmentation of meditation, something very broadly known yet isn't even widely practiced (not counting daydreaming or other trivial things you could consider a form of meditation).

Scarlet - anime, 8/15/2012

I don't think this will ever be a broad-reaching thing for humanity, I think it could only ever have a chance of growing to somewhere around the size of the hikikomori phenomenon - that is, it's really not for everyone, and in fact only a small fraction of humanity will ever be active in the field. Most people are completely content with relying fully on other people for their happiness and sanity and can't really ever see it being any other way.

I'm really not one for putting emphasis on the "practicality" of thoughtforms, they go hand in hand with inner peace and finding oneself through exploration. It should be obvious, but the majority only ever cares about practicality, and since inner peace usually gets in the way of having friends and generally getting laid, they don't have a huge chance in the wild. So in short, it's really just not something people need (or feel they need anyway).

Even if this did get marginally recognized, most people really are not good at controlling their thoughts and will find it very difficult to actually will themselves into creating and sustaining one. So it doesn't have any apparent way to sustain itself enough to impact humanity very deeply. Ultimately, I just consider this to be an augmentation of meditation, something very broadly known yet isn't even widely practiced (not counting daydreaming or other trivial things you could consider a form of meditation).

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. At the very most, if most people ever start to view tulpas as they generally view meditation, we'll wind up with a bunch of douchebags pretending to have tulpas without putting any effort in for the sake of putting on airs for the purpose of getting laid.

Case in point: A guy I know (thankfully only one, I don't need any more fake people like this in my life) lies and tells people that he does meditation exercises because, in his words, "that's what a philosophical and deep person does", and tries to act extremely cultured and worldly just for the sake of getting into girls' pants. In reality he's just a heavy alcoholic who follows every social trend in existence and will likely be dead in ten years. I shudder to think what kind of crap he'd pull if he got the idea in his head that acting like a tulpa would get him laid.

Because of people like him, for the most part, I sincerely hope tulpas do not catch on in the mainstream. It would completely annihilate what little credibility the phenomenon still has to cling onto.

"You've got to believe to achieve." -Hank Hill

I don't know about you but I don't really feel martyred. The APA hasn't put anyone under house arrest for disseminating information about tulpas as far as I know. I'm also pretty sure I'm not fighting any battles here; but then, I don't pray to the tulpa gods twice a day like you seem to do.

In my experience, negative sentiment towards tulpas has nothing to do with dogma. If anything, it's a completely natural reaction given that popularly, hearing voices is linked solely to schizophrenia. In that sense I don't see it as reactionary either. It's not like saying "But such a thing cannot possibly be true, because..."; it's just an opinion on whether a practice is healthy or not. In fact, it has nothing to do with ideas being true - because, like you said yourself, seeing something as abnormal is not objective - so the whole comparison to scientific revolutions is weird to me.

And it's not like tulpas are even new ideas. You can't really go very long without someone telling you that "the Greeks did it first" or "Tesla had a pigeon tulpa" or "Tyler Durden is a tulpa" and so forth. And then comparisons to everything else under the sun that's sort of related. If there is a revolution going on then it has been happening very slowly for a very long time - in other words, not a revolution.

I suppose I think that calling tulpas a "revolution" is a pointless dramatisation, and the generalisation that "all normal people see tulpa people as crazy" is not necessarily true, or helpful. The same goes for comparing yourself to astronomers being repressed by the Church, and saying that you're "fighting the tulpa battle" and such.

Again, I'd just like to say that there is always a dark side to everything. The reason of making this thread was to say that IF this revolution comes to the mainstream (saying revolution as "new understandings"), was to make sure that people know the light side of tulpas. Sure, people might abuse the ideas of tulpas, but the possibilities of what they can do are literally infinite. EVERY day, I seem to continue to learn more about how the brain works because of situations with my tulpas (tulpae? I don't know the correct term. :/ )

Oh, I get what you're saying. I agree, it would be great if more people with the capacity for good knew about tulpas and scientists took the concept seriously enough to do some real documented research on it, etc., but it just seems that society as a whole is too engulfed in selfish, immediate desires for much good to ever come from tulpas reaching the mainstream. It would either be a fad that fades quickly, or tulpamancers would be treated like, say, bronies (some people in support of them, a lot of others vehemently against them). At this stage tulpas are still largely an underground thing, so we don't have to worry about it and are largely left alone, for better or worse. If everyone and their brother knows about tulpas, and they happen to not like the idea, though...

"You've got to believe to achieve." -Hank Hill

Kevin says:

"It seems to me the other meaning of 'tulpa revolution' has been overlooked. Comparing what it used to take to make a tulpa (years of time [decades], and usually imagination, meditation, self-hypnosis), and what it takes now (less then a year in many cases), there has been a revolution in techniques in making tulpas.

I'm still a bit concerned by this. The drama I often read makes me wonder if the faster method's don't take too much toll on the human [brain]. I'm finding having just one 'new type' tulpa is exhausting.

Disclaimer: Don't mind me, I'm a fossil."

Please consider supporting Tulpa.info.

• Techoh changed the title to ▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿ ◁ˈ͠͡ˌ͠͡ ◁ˈ͠͡ˌ͠͡〜͡◁ˈ͠͡ˌ͠͡〜͡◁ˈ͠͡ˌ͠͡〜͡ ◁ˈ͠͡ˌ͠͡〜͡ ▙▟▙▛▜▟▟▟▟▚▚▚▚▚▚▙▙▙▙▚▛▞▚▙▞▟▚▚▙▛▜▟▜▙▚▙▟▙▛▜▟▟▟▟▚▚▚▚▚▚▙▙▙▙▚▛▞▚▙▞▟▚▚▙▛▜